Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #31
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
No it doesn't. You are assuming the people interested in doing it or those that are more inclined to do what you suggest buy their stuff at Amazon and will bother.

Lots of the top reviewers get free books - so all those would go away, for one thing.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #32
amberdel
amberdel is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
Good job I say! As a kindle owner, it baffles me sometimes how publishers release books.
amberdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #33
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then it means they'd get more valid reviews/ratings instead of invalid reviews/ratings.
Again, the reviews mentioned are perfectly valid. Refuse to sell me something and it is then inherently worth the lowest review score. Don't like it? Sell me the item.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:19 AM   #34
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is correct, a product you can't get is useless, so should get the lowest score.

In fact, close to filling up a whole Amazon list of such.

Books Never To Be Bought Because Of Georestrictions or Ebook Delays
Old 01-16-2010, 03:41 AM   #35
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Actually going to need a second list!
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #36
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
the problem is that by doing that, the protesters are also harming the author.
Then authors should find better publishers?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #37
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Plus the author signs the contract as well. Or contracts. So they should wear it, too.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #38
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I sympathise with the desire to punish authors/publishers for these silly restrictions but what of Amazon customers who use the rating system to help them determine which books to read. If I browse through my recommendation list and see a two star rated book (with many reviews) I assume the book is bad, not that customers are disgruntled by the publisher's behaviour.

We should also remember that these reviews are permanent and after the Kindle version is released, they will drag the book's rating down for a very long time.

I think it does a disservice to fellow readers to be misusing the system in this way.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #39
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Very simple. Go read librarything instead. Or goodreads. Or both. Or even somewhere else.

The reviews are not permanent, you can delete them whenever you want.

When fellow readers don't care about our problems, why should we care about theirs? They aren't paying us, after all.

Hardly of the same magnitude, are they? 'Can't get book at all' versus maybe checking somewhere else for info. Amazon is full of shills and sockpuppets etc. and political or religious axegrinders anyway, so why would you believe anything you see there at first glance, to start with?

You have quite a few misapprehensions it seems - after it is released? After it is released *where*? - and to take an example of say, Tor, the likelihood of their being one at all is pretty low. If there is one, the likelihood of non-yanks being able to buy it is basically zero.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #40
Rob G.
Enthusiast
Rob G. doesn't litterRob G. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
I think it does a disservice to fellow readers to be misusing the system in this way.
I don't think it's misusing the system though. There's nothing in Amazon's rules that would lead me to think these reviews aren't allowed. Furthermore, I don't feel any particular responsibility to fellow readers via Amazon's reviews. If they wish to pay me per review, then maybe I would. Also, the review police are voting the "real" reviews up, so anyone who actually clicks through to read the reviews and ignores the star ratings will get a "real" review. If someone bases a purchase exclusively off a star rating system that anyone with a login can vote on, then there's really no help for them anyway.
Rob G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #41
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G. View Post
If someone bases a purchase exclusively off a star rating system that anyone with a login can vote on, then there's really no help for them anyway.
so true.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #42
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I never just use the star system. There are plenty of reviews for "stuff" showing 1 star because of a late shipment or other reason. You have to read the reviews. This is no different.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #43
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
I sympathise with the desire to punish authors/publishers for these silly restrictions but what of Amazon customers who use the rating system to help them determine which books to read. If I browse through my recommendation list and see a two star rated book (with many reviews) I assume the book is bad, not that customers are disgruntled by the publisher's behaviour.

We should also remember that these reviews are permanent and after the Kindle version is released, they will drag the book's rating down for a very long time.

That is the whole point of the exercise. Hurt the publishers for the way they are treating customers, or that should be potential customers. In addition to not being able to buy the product themselves, via the rating system it is possible to have an effect, however small, on other peoples potential purchases.

And the line about there being no such thing as bad publicity is not true.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you think using the reviews for things other then valid reviews is a good idea, then think again. It's wrong to give a book 1 star and/or a bad review just because you don't live in the US and cannot buy it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #45
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you think using the reviews for things other then valid reviews is a good idea, then think again. It's wrong to give a book 1 star and/or a bad review just because you don't live in the US and cannot buy it.
It's got nothing to do with regional restrictions in this case of 1 star reviewing. See the quote in the 1st post
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote