Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the Kindle DX decently priced?
Yes. 63 60.00%
No. 31 29.52%
I am not sure. 11 10.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Is the Kindle DX decently priced? (poll)

We've all been drooling for something bigger than the Kindle or the Sony Reader, and for most of us the outrageously priced iLiad has also not been an option.

So, what do you think? Is $489.00 a good price for the Kindle DX? This makes it around 35% more expensive than the Kindle 2; but it's screen is also around 60% bigger in diagonal!
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I think it's $30 too expensive, plus the leather cover which is another $50! I also don't like they removed the next and previous page buttons from the left side... no doubt a cost-cutting move, which they could shrug off by saying "just flip it over!"

But I pre-ordered one anyway.

Last edited by sirbruce; 05-06-2009 at 11:45 AM.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Seems too high to me for a non-student. For a student it's a little hard to judge, without knowing a) the prices the textbooks will cost, and b) how well the DX displays charts and diagrams.

E.g. if the device costs close to $500, but you save $250 on textbooks every semester, it's a good deal.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
The direct competitor of the kindle dx is the irex dr1000s that costs $859.
I would say that $489 is really a good deal for a 10" device.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Amazon is using a price skimming strategy, which is the correct strategy for an innovative tech device. they want to extract as much producer surplus as possible from "innovators". the demand curve is downward sloping, so u have the fewer innovators who are willing to pay a higher price....as more people "imitate" the technological diffusion will spread attracting more mainstream buyers...and amazon can thus lower the price when volume increases (and they'll have to do this to attract the mainstream buyers with lower "reservation prices". so it'll be able to breakeven at a lower price....and also the increased volume will further "the learning curve" so the cost of producing the kindle will decline perhaps, thus lowering cost and price with it.

so i would say, we should expect a sizable price drop by Christmas on both devices....like $50.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I guess it depends on what you compare it against. When compared to the irex dr1000s it is a flat out bargain. Or, compared to the iPhone (yes, I know - apples and oranges) it is pretty reasonable. But, compared to the netbook for which I just paid $350 it doesn't look so hot. However, I actually expected Amazon to charge more, so I'm happy (I pre-ordered one).
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
When compared to the irex dr1000s it is a flat out bargain.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
I just pre-ordered! It's what I have been wanting and it's cheaper (and larger) than an iLiad which is what I currently own. And on top of that, I have the whole Kindle store available too. Definitely not overpriced, IMHO.
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Seems pretty reasonable to me given the increase in screen size. I don't need the larger screen, but seems like a fair price for people who do.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Of course I'd love to see it even cheaper! But it's frankly less than I was expecting (I picked 600$ in the last poll and 650$ wouldn't have surprised me a bit.

It's a lot cheaper than the only other large screen e-book reader I know about (iLiad), though of course it doesn't have stylus markup, which the iLiad does. On the other hand, I don't think the iLiad has search capability, which is very important to me.

So, yes, I think the price is reasonable, given what it is.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The price is aggressive enough that it is going to cause problems for other vendors. I think iRex is essentially dead in the water unless they can drastically cut prices. Adding a touch screen makes a lot of sense at this screen size, but I can't see how anyone can price a ~10" EInk Reader with touch screen for more than $600 now.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
if u consider the 3G network and actually use it frequetly to browse the web, $500 for the device is actually a bargain. your cellular 3G data plan is $30+ per month. include the tax and that's $400 per yr right there! but of course, the majority of the people who buy the kindle dx probably have 3G phones, like myself.

it'll save u money on news paper subscriptions also if u use it to surf the web, which I plan to do when I'm not in the subway.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I have the iPhone and I'm so tired of squinting at the tiny little screen. Yes I'm using it this very minute to post this. I almost bought he kindle2. Now I'm glad I didn't. 500 bucks for a bigger screen? No problem. The problem is, my Sony reader is still going strong! Beat up and dented but no problems.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
but it's screen is also around 60% bigger in diagonal!
I usually like to compary by surface area, even though we usually compare screens by diagonal measure. In this case, the resolution in dpi is different, so the best comparison might by in pixels.

Measuring by pixels, the Kindle DX screen is twice as big as the Kindle2.

1200*824=988,800

600*800=480,000
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
Johannes
Enthusiast
Johannes began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad
Indeed, e-ink at 49.5 cents/kilopixel... that's a bargain
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote