Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #106
eternalcold
eternalcold began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
@Swashy, it's screensaver hack by NiLuJe with some small fixes to work on K4NT. Check this topic

Also here's font hack :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/upd..._4.9.N_k4w.zip

And simple jailbreak using ixtab method :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/kin...lbreak-1.0.zip

To JB :
- Copy RUNME.sh and data.tar.gz to your Kindle
- Reboot from settings menu
- enjoy

Any confirmation that this JB method works on K4 SO (non-touch)?

Last edited by eternalcold; 01-24-2012 at 12:42 AM.
eternalcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #107
vakya
Connoisseur
vakya doesn't littervakya doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, IREX DR800, Kindle 3 y Kindle 4 NT
Dont' work. Say me: UPDATE ERROR: 3.
vakya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #108
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by vakya View Post
Dont' work. Say me: UPDATE ERROR: 3.
You need to jailbreak your Kindle first.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #109
vakya
Connoisseur

I play http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/upd..._4.9.N_k4w.zip before.

And it seems to have been well executed. As I find that I have really jailbreak?

Last edited by vakya; 01-24-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Pardon for my english.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 AM   #110
vakya
Connoisseur

Someone works for this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/upd..._4.9.N_k4w.zip with Kindle 4 NT?
Advert
Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #111
mmatting
mmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
For me it works now, but I had to try two times. First time I got an error message.
mmatting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #112
vakya
Connoisseur

We are talking about the device NO TOUCH. Right? How can you verify that the jailbreak went well?

Pardon for my english.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #113
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vakya View Post
We are talking about the device NO TOUCH. Right? How can you verify that the jailbreak went well?

Pardon for my english.
vakya,

First of all, I installed Duokan 2012 (which incorporates the Jailbreak) on a K4 non-touch.

Next I installed the Screensavers for K4 Non-Touch.

Those installations worked fine.

Also, I have installed DK 2012 on my K3-3G without problems, which already was jailbroken. I don't know why people suggest removing the jailbreak first.

Don't worry about your English
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #114
bill crystals
bill crystals began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch
It looks like things have started to get a little more streamlined as far as Kindle 4 NT jailbreak/custom screensavers here in the last few pages of this thread.

Can anyone summarize what the latest, easiest (I.E. most noob friendly) method to jb/add custom screensavers is?

I've been pouring over this thread/other avenues of the net for days now since I got my Kindle 4 NT. I just want my screensaver to be the cover of the book I'm currently reading, I don't really understand why this has to be a 40+ step process, haha.
bill crystals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #115
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill crystals View Post
It looks like things have started to get a little more streamlined as far as Kindle 4 NT jailbreak/custom screensavers here in the last few pages of this thread.

Can anyone summarize what the latest, easiest (I.E. most noob friendly) method to jb/add custom screensavers is?

I've been pouring over this thread/other avenues of the net for days now since I got my Kindle 4 NT. I just want my screensaver to be the cover of the book I'm currently reading, I don't really understand why this has to be a 40+ step process, haha.
, as I don't want to risk bricking my 9 yo daughter's K4. She'd never forgive me.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #116
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Just a warning. I completely bricked a k4nt so it will probably need a JTAG cable to fix it. All I did is boot to diags, export and delete /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS, then in the diag menu I selected the "disable diagnostics" menu item.

The display has shown the highlighted item "Q) To continue - FW LEFT" on the "Disable Diagnostics" page since then. It died when I pressed the 5-way LEFT button. It is now stuck in USB/HID mode. Connecting to the serial port and pressing the power button shows u-boot "bailed!" because the serial number and board ID are now both "1", and u-boot cannot initialize hardware for an unknown board type. Just a quick press of the power button makes u-boot restart, always giving the same "bailed!" error message.

There appear to be dangerous bugs in diagnostics, so beware!

Luckily, using diagnostics mode is no longer required to jailbreak a K4NT. Use ixtab's data.tar.gz method instead.

My new k4nt just arrived yesterday. The old one will just be for spare parts, until I have time to learn more about JTAG (which is supported by my "bus pirates").

P.S. The Freescale "usb downloader" tool claims that it successfully installs and executes code in my bricked k4nt RAM using USB/HID mode, so if I just had the correct payload, perhaps I can write good values into the board ID and serial numbers, so it can boot up enough to debrick it using other means.

UPDATE: Be VERY careful with the serial port cable attachment on the k4nt. I accidentally ripped the tiny TxD and RxD pads completely off the circuit board with very light upward pressure on my serial cable. I should have mechanically secured the cable to the circuit board with adhesive tape. There are some surface mount resistors mounted next to the missing pads, so I can probably solder my TxD and RxD cables there next time I need it. I will verify these secondary connection points using my new k4nt, when I get around to removing its back cover.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-25-2012 at 01:59 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #117
chammy
chammy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 nt
quick question

it looks like i can edit the RUNME.sh file in the kindle-nt-jailbreak-1.0.zip package to include the necessary commands posted earlier to setup the custom screensavers, right? no need to hassle with diagnostics mode / setting up a remote NDIS device driver / etc.

Quote:
mount_rw
echo -n "${JAILBREAK_KEY}" > ${DEVELOPER_KEY_LOCATION}
mkdir /mnt/us/screensaver
mount /dev/mmcb1k0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.old
ln -sfn /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
#whatever the un-mount command would be
mount_ro
or would that not work?

Last edited by chammy; 01-25-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: i wanted to
chammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #118
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Just a warning...
You've just scared the cr*p out of me. Think I'll hang fire for now. Thanks for the warning.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #119
Swashy
Swashy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
@Swashy, it's screensaver hack by NiLuJe with some small fixes to work on K4NT. Check this topic
@seaniko7
Thanks for the ixtab jailbreak method. It worked, I think?? It seems theres no obvious tell-tales to know for sure...

But I just tried the screensaver method you posted on page 7 twice and both times the update failed with the error "U007".

Any ideas?
Thanks so much for the help!

I updated the Kindle NT wiki page accordingly.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...ilBreak_Method

edit: Cool it worked! Apparently getting an error message is pretty common, but I just restarted and it worked. I guess if you get the error and the linkss folder *doesn't* show up, then just keep trying to the screensaver hack until ya get it.

Edit Nvm, it seems the folders have been put there but they don't actually do anything... The new screens i added don't show up, and the default screens are nowhere to be seen. Random, reboot, and autoreboot also don't work. Welp.

Last edited by Swashy; 01-27-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Swashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #120
KTamas
Enthusiast
KTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashy View Post
@seaniko7
Thanks for the ixtab jailbreak method. It worked, I think?? It seems theres no obvious tell-tales to know for sure...

But I just tried the screensaver method you posted on page 7 twice and both times the update failed with the error "U007".

Any ideas?
Thanks so much for the help!

I updated the Kindle NT wiki page accordingly.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...ilBreak_Method

edit: Cool it worked! Apparently getting an error message is pretty common, but I just restarted and it worked. I guess if you get the error and the linkss folder *doesn't* show up, then just keep trying to the screensaver hack until ya get it.

Edit Nvm, it seems the folders have been put there but they don't actually do anything... The new screens i added don't show up, and the default screens are nowhere to be seen. Random, reboot, and autoreboot also don't work. Welp.
Doesn't work for me either. used the lxtab method, then disabled the ads from diagnostics, applied the screensaver hack, the linkss folder is there with all the stuff yet I get a blank white nothing when I turn it off.
KTamas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 4th gen hack