Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I Hate Having to Return to Paperbooks!

I just started ST Vanguard: Open Secrets in paper and I'm finding it troublesome holding the darn thing open! I've had no choice since Simon & Schuster since stopped releasing books in MS Lit format (the only one I know how to strip & convert) and since the price rise I won't buy them at Sony (besides the fact I don't like their wide margins).

I have lots of lovely micropay to use at Fictionwise if only Lit format would return or if Fictionwise would add (secure) ePub I tried writing to Simon & Schuster to no avail.

Has anyone heard anything about S&S returning to the Lit format?
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I share your pain.

"Secure Mobipocket/eReader" means "No Sale"

I hope fictionwise gets that message.

But fear not, because Books on Board has it in ePub.

Here

Last edited by Donnageddon; 07-07-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: small grammatical error induced by my stupidity
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I always make it a practice to search what I consider the "main three" when searching for ebooks.

1. Fictionwise
2. Booksonboard
3. Diesel books.

It is amazing how one will have different formats than another.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I share your pain.

"Secure Mobipocket/eReader" means "No Sale"

I hope fictionwise get that message.

But fear not, because Books on Board has it in ePub.

Here
I did see that; I hope Fictionwise expands to carrying it in that format. I have $75 of micropay burning a figurative hole in my pocket and I'm loathe to spend money elsewhere.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I always make it a practice to search what I consider the "main three" when searching for ebooks.

1. Fictionwise
2. Booksonboard
3. Diesel books.

It is amazing how one will have different formats than another.
I search those and Powell's as well and have found that the one thing they have in common is no Trek (or any S&S in Lit from late fall 2008 forward).

All I want is to use my FW micropay for my Trek fix and there's a conspiracy out to stop me!
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 03:26 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unless it has illustrations, Mobipocket will give as good a result as LIT or ePUB at the moment, the Mobipocket DRM is easy to strip and calibre will happily convert to ePUB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I just started ST Vanguard: Open Secrets in paper and I'm finding it troublesome holding the darn thing open! I've had no choice since Simon & Schuster since stopped releasing books in MS Lit format (the only one I know how to strip & convert) and since the price rise I won't buy them at Sony (besides the fact I don't like their wide margins).

I have lots of lovely micropay to use at Fictionwise if only Lit format would return or if Fictionwise would add (secure) ePub I tried writing to Simon & Schuster to no avail.

Has anyone heard anything about S&S returning to the Lit format?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I search those and Powell's as well and have found that the one thing they have in common is no Trek (or any S&S in Lit from late fall 2008 forward).

All I want is to use my FW micropay for my Trek fix and there's a conspiracy out to stop me!
Well, the lack of MS LIT is Simon and Schuster's fault. So far, I believe both MOBI and Adobe Digital Editions EPUB can be un-DRMed, albeit setting up the software to get it all working isn't as simple as downloading ConvertLIT+GUI in a zip file and extracting to a folder.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:42 AM   #8
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Unless it has illustrations, Mobipocket will give as good a result as LIT or ePUB at the moment, the Mobipocket DRM is easy to strip and calibre will happily convert to ePUB.
If only I could decipher the mystery of a certain program named for a large constricting snake I would use it. Several people here have tried talking me through it but the process eludes me. I've got everything downloaded that I need but I consistently hit a brick wall.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:53 AM   #9
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Well, the lack of MS LIT is Simon and Schuster's fault. So far, I believe both MOBI and Adobe Digital Editions EPUB can be un-DRMed, albeit setting up the software to get it all working isn't as simple as downloading ConvertLIT+GUI in a zip file and extracting to a folder.
That's exactly my problem. I need someone right in front of me to show me step by step how to do it. I've got everything I need downloaded and installed; I've learned what a command line prompt is and how to use it but I'm missing something, I just don't know what.

I continually wish for a GUI for un-DRMing Mobi.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@MarciaCat, I sent you a PM, let me know if you want to meet in a common location and I can show you how to run the tool. Give me a PM if you wish to meet.
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-08-2009 at 02:34 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
@MarciaCat, I sent you a PM, let me know if you want to meet in a common location and I can show you how to run the tool. Give me a PM if you wish to meet.
=X=
Got the PM; sounds like a great idea. Will respond to your e-mail.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Why do you prefer MS Lit? Just wondering, because ePub is so natural on the 505. Converting everything seems so complicated and time wasting. I used to do that with my EBW1150, because I could get mobi things converted to large font and read them. But that was a matter of necessity, because new books in IMP format were becoming more and more scarce. Which is neither here nor there, and has nothing to do with my wondering why you prefer MS Lit?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Why do you prefer MS Lit? Just wondering, because ePub is so natural on the 505. Converting everything seems so complicated and time wasting. I used to do that with my EBW1150, because I could get mobi things converted to large font and read them. But that was a matter of necessity, because new books in IMP format were becoming more and more scarce. Which is neither here nor there, and has nothing to do with my wondering why you prefer MS Lit?
Mainly because Fictionwise doesn't carry Trek books in epub. If they did I wouldn't have a problem.

I know BoB has epub but I've got tons of micropay ay FW.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Why do you prefer MS Lit? Just wondering, because ePub is so natural on the 505.
Well, the OP said she wished it were available in ePub? I guess it is not.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
And speaking of FW, I got the email earlier that they are having another big 100% micropay rebate sale. But I don't seem to actually buy books anymore. I get them from our MR authors or libraries, etc, and can't keep up with my "to be read" list as it is. It is a nice problem to have, however, to have too many books waiting to be read.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote