Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Rapidshare loses court battle against German booksellers

The time for Rapidshare to rule the world of one-click file hosters is long gone, which doesn't mean that the Swiss-based company is having it any easier staying out of trouble. In fact this week, the German Federal Court of Justice affirmed an earlier court decision (German) that Rapidshare had to proactively filter the files uploaded by its users and take effective measures against the use of illegal content on its service. The case was brought by a group of German booksellers, book publishers and Germany's music rights authority GEMA.

As expected, Alexander Skipis, CEO of the German Booksellers Association, is in a celebrating mood.

"The decision of the Federal Court of Justice to affirm the judgement is a crucial step forward. Cyberlockers like Rapidshare bear responsibility for content on their servers, and they can no longer hide behind making vague excuses. The days are gone when one could profit from copyright infringing uploads."

No comment from Rapidshare on this yet.

[via Golem.de]

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-16-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
What I don't understand is: Does this apply to Rapidshare only, and why? There are several file hoster, did Rapishare something different on a technical level than the others do?
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Rapidshare are certainly the most notorious of the "File Locker" services in terms of making it easy for pirates. I'm sure they must have legit users, but a Rapidshare link certainly always makes me wary.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
What I don't understand is: Does this apply to Rapidshare only, and why? There are several file hoster, did Rapishare something different on a technical level than the others do?
I'm sure it applies to others as well. rapidshare and megauploads etc. have been used a lot for filesharing, legal or not.

I can't think of any reason that any filehosting service, even cloud services meant for personal data storage only can not be used to some extent for illegal file sharing. Prosecute one and you should prosecute them all whether they be Microsoft or Google or HP etc. Making a profit from this whether intentional or not should be a separate issue, kind of like living of the avails of, or not paying taxes on illicit income. Perhaps this is the case, but I doubt it. I can't see merely making it possible for people to share files can be considered a crime when there are so many ways to do it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
So this means that Facebook, Google and others have to "proactively filter the files" that users are uploading to their cloud storage and which they can share with others? I don't think that this is going to happen.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So this means that Facebook, Google and others have to "proactively filter the files" that users are uploading to their cloud storage and which they can share with others? I don't think that this is going to happen.
Me either. And it doesn't actually mean that, just that maybe it should be the same rules for all and we are pretty sure that that is not the case.

Helen

PS: Well I'm pretty sure anyway

Last edited by speakingtohe; 08-16-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 08-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I remember seeing something a while back about dropbox giving users a problem if they had opds catalogs in a shared folder. I don't remember where I saw it though.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
What exactly is the point of the safe harbour provisions of the DMCA? No website is responsible for the actions of their users. They are required to remove infringing content when requested which Rapidshare do.

Also when will we start to see content owners prosecuted for perjury when they submitted frivolous DMCA takedowns? Never because the law and the legal system is systemically corrupt.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
What exactly is the point of the safe harbour provisions of the DMCA?
This was a German ruling based on European law. DMCA is American.

Quote:
Also when will we start to see content owners prosecuted for perjury when they submitted frivolous DMCA takedowns? Never because the law and the legal system is systemically corrupt.
Here is a description of those frivolous requests:

http://torrentfreak.com/google-start...quests-121213/

It sound to me like the requests are mistakes, not deliberate. Given the enormous volume of takedown requests, some of it must be automated, and so could be the result of a software bug.

By contrast, I think the people who are illegally uploading and downloading copyrighted materials are more likely to be doing so deliberately. So why not prosecute them first?

Do I mean that seriously? No. But just like I don't want to ruin the lives of college student downloaders, I don't want to ruin the lives of people working at Warner Brothers or Penguin Random House. This should be a civil matter.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-17-2013 at 06:53 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
This was a German ruling based on European law. DMCA is American.

Here is a description of those frivolous requests:

http://torrentfreak.com/google-start...quests-121213/

It sound to me like the requests are mistakes, not deliberate. Given the enormous volume of takedown requests, some of it must be automated, and so could be the result of a software bug.

By contrast, I think the people who are illegally uploading and downloading copyrighted materials are more likely to be doing so deliberately. So why not prosecute them first?

Do I mean that seriously? No. But just like I don't want to ruin the lives of college student downloaders, I don't want to ruin the lives of people working at Warner Brothers or Penguin Random House. This should be a civil matter.
Not only civil, but more cut and dried.

Does anyone really know how easy or difficult it is to police a large online storage website. Are their studies done?

Perhaps a website should be set up or better yet, a consortium of the companies involved should take over policing rapidshare. See how well they do at the policing end. For all I know it may be easy, but I doubt the fine line between keeping your customers and satisfying the demands being made would even be possible without spending more than you make.

As one example if a site is hosted in a country where file sharing is not illegal and the file sharer are using a connection in a country that is not illegal, how can you really tell. Lots of ways to hide your IP.

Not saying people should fileshare illegally, just that the current ways of dealing with it seem to be bullying and saying my lawyers are better than yours and I can afford a hell of a lot more of them.

Let the rights holders put their money where their mouth is and come up with a foolproof and inexpensive way of policing online content or do the actual policing themselves and be prepared to pay damages if they do it incorrectly.

Helen
Old 08-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unless memory serves me wrong, one aspect in this case that spelled doom for Rapidshare (and many of its clones) was the fact that they used to pay loyalty credits to those who shared their Rapidshare links. In other words, they inspired their membersfinancially to share as much as possible.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Unless memory serves me wrong, one aspect in this case that spelled doom for Rapidshare (and many of its clones) was the fact that they used to pay loyalty credits to those who shared their Rapidshare links. In other words, they inspired their membersfinancially to share as much as possible.
Ah, they "franchised!"

In the immortal words of Steve Martin in The Jerk:

Navin R. Johnson: "Ah... It's a profit deal."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Years ago I had a rapidshare account and I don't remember that. Maybe after my time. My usage was pretty low, just the odd email attachment that was too large so maybe I didn't qualify.

Helen
Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #14
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
I suppose that the main reason is that Rapidshare is a real company and located in a jurisdiction (Switzerland) that doesn't make obtaining a decision in a German court obviously pointless. These hosters tend to be supposedly run by (sham) companies in Russia or places like Panama, Belize, Tonga etc.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Years ago I had a rapidshare account and I don't remember that. Maybe after my time. My usage was pretty low, just the odd email attachment that was too large so maybe I didn't qualify.

Helen
TorrentFreak has a story about it when it was closed:

http://torrentfreak.com/rapidshare-k...ncerns-100620/