Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #136
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Why an SD card slot is mandatory for me:
I keep all of my media on SD cards, including ebooks, movies, music, and pictures. If I want to use my ebook reader I simply insert the card and there are all of my books. If I want to use my tablet I simply insert the card and there are all my files. It is illogical to think that anyone would use “the cloud” as a substitute for local storage considering the 32GB capacity (or more, now up to 128GB). Not to mention that data plans are now pay-per-GB which makes the cloud a no-go for any reason.

I have an SD card slot in: both of my ebook readers, my car stereo, my TV, my tablet, my laptop, my PC, my smartphone, my MP3 player, and my netbook. The versatility offered by this is unmatched.

It is good to know that many people here see why card slots are being left off of new devices, it is a money scam. It is an attempt to force you to eventually move money from your bank account to their bank account. PLEASE don’t fall for this!

No card slot no sale…

Last edited by CyGuy; 07-03-2012 at 03:07 PM.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #137
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
A huge step forward for Apple and Google on the road to ripping us off (a slot adds less than 2 dollars to the cost, but forces us to stay in the cloud or buy their accessories.) A giant leap backwards for user.
Margins are very tight. Once a company I worked for was even looking at the number of screws used on a mobile phone to reduce costs - and a screw costs way less than $2, so $2 is not an insignificant amount of money, especially if you expect to ship large volumes of devices. I also would prefer to have SD slot, but I understand that some sacrifices have to be made to reach the $200 price point, and I rather they sacrified the SD slot than skimp on the CPU or screen or RAM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #138
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I understand that some sacrifices have to be made to reach the $200 price point, and I rather they sacrified the SD slot than skimp on the CPU or screen or RAM.
But isn't it rather silly to build down to a specific price point? I mean, who cares if it costs $210 rather than $200, if the extra $10 gets you an SD card slot?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #139
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Margins are very tight. Once a company I worked for was even looking at the number of screws used on a mobile phone to reduce costs - and a screw costs way less than $2, so $2 is not an insignificant amount of money, especially if you expect to ship large volumes of devices. I also would prefer to have SD slot, but I understand that some sacrifices have to be made to reach the $200 price point, and I rather they sacrified the SD slot than skimp on the CPU or screen or RAM.
Of course, in this particular case there is something to it. They wanted to hit the exact $199.- price point rather than sell for $205.-. Google branded devices serve more as "reference designs" and don't sell that much. What is very unfortunate is that many people now have come to think that SD card slots are expensive and unnecessary. Google is setting a very bad example here. When they are included they cost next to nothing, and they should be standard on every device. Look at cars, they now all come standard with air conditioning, even when you live in the frozen tundra. Customers accept nothing less. And by always including something you really drive down costs.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #140
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But isn't it rather silly to build down to a specific price point? I mean, who cares if it costs $210 rather than $200, if the extra $10 gets you an SD card slot?
Specific price points matter.
More people will buy something for $9.99 than for $10.01.
You might think it is silly, but it is a real phenomenon, which every company will take into account.
Even looking at estate agents, you houses prices at £499,950. or similar, just so that the eye doesn't see £500,000, which seems much higher.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #141
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Fewer people use the front camera (not "no people", just "fewer people") and it is a more expensive component than the SD slot.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #142
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Fewer people use the front camera (not "no people", just "fewer people") and it is a more expensive component than the SD slot.
I have personally never used the built-in camera on my tablet or netbook. I use the SD card slot everyday. I do understand why some people would want the camera though and it should be included. However, to try to claim that price is why many devices are missing a built-in card reader is very naive. It is not about cost is it about control.

No card slot no sale...

Last edited by CyGuy; 07-03-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #143
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I would imagine that we will see the Kindle Fire for $169 in a few weeks, especially if a Fire 2 is in the works.
As for SD cards, they hold 32 or 64 GB where your typical Cloud service offers 5 GB for free, once you start paying a monthly fee it doesn't take long for it to surpass the price of a card.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #144
CyGuy
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I would imagine that we will see the Kindle Fire for $169 in a few weeks, especially if a Fire 2 is in the works.
As for SD cards, they hold 32 or 64 GB where your typical Cloud service offers 5 GB for free, once you start paying a monthly fee it doesn't take long for it to surpass the price of a card.
Just to be clear, 128GB SD cards have been available for a while now and are down to $153. How many GB of data can you one-time download/upload for $153?

Last edited by CyGuy; 07-03-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #145
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
All that assumes that it was cost that prevented the inclusion of the SD slot. There is no reason to believe that it was.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #146
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
All that assumes that it was cost that prevented the inclusion of the SD slot. There is no reason to believe that it was.
Given that there are 7" Android tablets which DO have an SD card slot, what would you suggest may have been the reason?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #147
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that there are 7" Android tablets which DO have an SD card slot, what would you suggest may have been the reason?
Obviously this is just speculation on my part, but appears to me to be nothing more complicated than pushing people to Google Play and the cloud. SD card slots make it more convenient to sideload personal media. Lack of a slot won't prevent sideloading, but it certainly makes it less convenient... and THAT is all that is needed.

Apple forged the path by not allowing any of its portable consumer devices (except the Macbook Pro) to include removable storage. For all of the apologetic hoops and convoluted logic to justify it as a "benefit", Apple had a multitude of reasons why it was beneficial for themselves to not include a slot. It was not a benefit to the consumer.

Amazon took a page from the book. Except for the first gen Kindle, no subsequent Kindle includes a slot.

So now Google enters the fray. Rather than initially include something and take it away later, they are going slotless from the beginning. By the amount of defenders of Google's decision, it is pretty clear to me that they'll do just fine with that decision.

Consumers have been trained to accept less control over the devices they purchase. Those who won't accept that will be viewed as "dinosaurs".
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #148
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I'm betting it drops to $149.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #149
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Dinosaurs with better toys.

Who make fun of their toys when they try to claim they are high end.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #150
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Obviously this is just speculation on my part, but appears to me to be nothing more complicated than pushing people to Google Play and the cloud. SD card slots make it more convenient to sideload personal media. Lack of a slot won't prevent sideloading, but it certainly makes it less convenient... and THAT is all that is needed.
Sorry, I thought you meant a technical reason. I'm sure you're right about this being a marketing decision to encourage people to use Google's cloud service, along the same lines that the Kindle Fire doesn't have a card slot to encourage the use of Amazon's cloud (and content).