Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-31-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
RonHarding
RonHarding began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Exclamation Calibre Software Problems

Hi All,
I am new to the world of Ebooks having being given a Kindle for Christmas.
I have downloaded and installed (a number of times) Calibre on my PC and continue to have problems. When I am within the application my mouse pointer does not activate any of the actions when clicking on them. I have however discovered that if I first click or double click outside of the open application (say anywhere on my desktop) and then go to the application very often the mouse action works as it ought to. If I stay within the app the operation of the mouse reverts to the original problem i.e. it fails to perform the expected operation. I have to click outside tthe app in order to get the required response from my mouse clicks. It appears that the X-Y co-ordinates for the mouse pointer are being arbitarily offset whilst in the app.
I have (with great difficulty) managed to add many of my Ebooks to the app but operating within Calibre is a pain.
My PC runs Windows XP Professional (SP3) and I have the latest version of Calibre (0.8.37)
I have also tried a 'clean' install without success and of course I have done complete uninstalls before attempting my numerous re-installs.
Has anyone experienced this problem? If so what is the solution?
I would appreciate your help.
Regards,
Ron Harding
RonHarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
This is probably off the wall, but do you have a graphics tablet or something of that sort connected to the computer? In the past there have been problems associated with them.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
RonHarding

Hi, thanks for your response.
I do indeed have a Wacom3 graphics tablet installed on my system. I will investigate further with this in mind.
Thanks again.
Ron Harding
Old 02-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Wacom tablets are known to not play nicely with Calibre.

Why I have no idea - I believe the reason is something buried deep in the Qt libraries used by Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
dmcd
Enthusiast
dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kobo
I have my graphics tablet turned off in Device Manager (Disable). Only turn it on (Enable) when I want to use it, as it often causes strange problems with other software. Calibre is working beautifully with the tablet turned off in Dev. Manager, but still installed.

Hope this helps.

Dale
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have a Genius brand tablet. I have not seen interaction problems.
(some of it's assigned button(hot spot) features are real lame. I wanted a to set a predefined set of 'hot keystrokes', only to find it limited to 1 char and not entity assignable.)
Edit: I also have a Mouse and Trackball (has programmable buttons) connected.

Last edited by theducks; 02-05-2012 at 03:44 AM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I have a Wacom Bamboo tablet and have no problems with that enabled and running Calibre but I do have a mouse connected as well.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
RonHarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
I have my graphics tablet turned off in Device Manager (Disable). Only turn it on (Enable) when I want to use it, as it often causes strange problems with other software. Calibre is working beautifully with the tablet turned off in Dev. Manager, but still installed.

Hope this helps.

Dale
Hi Dale, thanks for your response. I will do some further investigation by disabling my Wacom in Device Manager. I will need to install an independant mouse first as I currently use the Wacom mouse with the tablet.
Regards,
Ron Harding
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
RonHarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
I have a Wacom Bamboo tablet and have no problems with that enabled and running Calibre but I do have a mouse connected as well.
Hi, Thanks for your comments. I currently use the Wacom mouse in conjunction with the tablet, so I will connect an external mose and try that.
I appreciate your response.
Ron Harding
Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
RonHarding

I would like to thank everyone for their responses. I now have something to work with.
Thank you all once again.
Ron Harding