Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
How to get rid of HTML Character representations

When importing from a HTML-source there are often some (whats the correct term ?) national characters in the text, i.e. "Ä" represents the german Character "Ä".

- sigils spell checker can't handle these characters (correct spelled words are marked red)
- the toc-generator seems to ignore them
(<h3>So ein Ärger</h3> will result in a
toc-entry "So ein rger")

Should Sigil translate them automatically ??
Is there an easy way to translate then ? (aside from search and replace one by one)
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Are you saying:
Code:
<h3>So ein Ärger</h3>
becomes "So ein rger" in the toc?

Or are you saying that:
Code:
<h3>So ein &Auml;rger</h3>
becomes "So ein rger" in the toc?

The first would surprise me, but the second example makes perfect sense. You can't have html entities ( &Auml; ) in the toc.ncx file.

You should either replace the html entities (that will be used in Sigil's toc generation) with their unicode equivalents or add a title attribute that uses the correct unicode character:
Code:
<h3 title="So ein Ärger">So ein &Auml;rger</h3>
You should only have to do that with the header (h1, h2, h3... etc) tags that contain html entities and will be used by Sigil's ToC generation.

Or just fix the errors manually in the toc.ncx file after Sigil generates one.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-31-2012 at 05:34 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Both
<h3>So ein Ärger</h3>
and
<h3>So ein &Auml;rger</h3>
work fine on my (native German) Computer, for both the normal text and too the TOC entry. And the Sigil spell checker does not complain neither.
mmat, I guess something with your settings is wrong...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
In a similar instance, I'm getting a lot of &nbsp; instead of a space. I'll go through a page, and the spaces I added while typing, in the code end up as &nbsp; instead. It's kinda random.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Go to the about screen and post what it says for the loaded Qt version.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

0.5.0 with QT4.7.4 here
Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
In a similar instance, I'm getting a lot of &nbsp; instead of a space. I'll go through a page, and the spaces I added while typing, in the code end up as &nbsp; instead. It's kinda random.
Any spacebar I use in BV gets a NBSP
a spacebar in CV gets a space
Been that way at least V3 onwards

XP SP3
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Any spacebar I use in BV gets a NBSP
a spacebar in CV gets a space
Been that way at least V3 onwards

XP SP3
Yeah, that's the thing though. It really seems to get out of hand though sometimes. I'll be typing in book view, then take a look at code view, and it is just littered with them sometimes, to the point it can be hard to make out.

I've been editing this one book. Original book is 288 pages and 28 chapters. I've got each chapter as its own file, and when I start each chapter it has no &nbsp;, and when I'm done with the chapter, it'll have anywhere from 150 to 450 of them.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Yeah, that's the thing though. It really seems to get out of hand though sometimes. I'll be typing in book view, then take a look at code view, and it is just littered with them sometimes, to the point it can be hard to make out.

I've been editing this one book. Original book is 288 pages and 28 chapters. I've got each chapter as its own file, and when I start each chapter it has no &nbsp;, and when I'm done with the chapter, it'll have anywhere from 150 to 450 of them.
I usuall switch to CV and bulk replace them.
The problem is there are times and places that a NBSP is wanted. Bulk kills those also
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I usuall switch to CV and bulk replace them.
The problem is there are times and places that a NBSP is wanted. Bulk kills those also
Yeah, but the number of times that is the case out numbers the times that Sigil inserts it, so much so, that it is easier to bulk replace and add them back in by hand.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 AM   #11
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Bacause of this nbsp problem, if I'm going to be editing a file in BV, I go into CV and bulk replace the &nbsp; with xzxzxz, then when finished editing, do the reverse, which works out easier than not doing it and adding them again by hand.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard

I do something similar. I was just saying the other for sake of argument.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Hello, I've an update
First: DiapDealer is right, I gave the wrong code, only <h3>So ein &Auml;rger</h3> will result in a wrong toc-entry (sorry for this mistake)
Second: This will only happen, if toc is build while the code-view of the editor is active. In book mode, I've never seen this.
Third: it doesn't happen always.

My major problem is not having some misspelled toc-entries, or having a &nbsp; somewhere. The "Umlauts" are in the middle of the word and the spellchecker (which is really good) is quite useless while they are present.
QT 4.7.4
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote