Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
JVM
JVM began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think I'm set on the Kobo Wireless

I've read the reviews and comparisions and there seems to be a preference for other ereaders, however, I have specific things I'm looking for and given that I live in Canada, I think the Kobo wireless is the way to go. Anything I've outlined below where the Kobo will not meet my needs, or is clearly worse than a unit at a comparible price? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Here is what I'm looking for and some other details:

Purpose
- reading books, mainly current/recent Fantasy, some sports books
- I'll buy the books from Chapters.ca or Kobo, or other shops as I learn of them
- I don't want it to do anything else...just want to read books

Use
- commuter train to/from work
- before bed (I won't need a lamp or a book light anymore...wife will be happy)

Priroties
- clarity of text on screen, I don't use glasses when reading books but do when using the computer...I don't want to use glasses when using ereader
- I don't read anything that I think is obscure, but availability of titles is important. I looked for some books on Chapters and Kobo I'll be buying soon and they were there
- price for recent paperpacks (lots on my list to read) should be a good 25% or more less than the actual book, I check on those sites and this appeared to ring true
- want to borrow ebooks from libraries. I have libraries in my area have an e-book program, looked them up and some of the titles I want are there
- ease of use (given my basic usage), I want to put it on, go to the last page read (I read a book at a time) and just read. I don't care if I download books wirelessly or with the computer and sync after
- durability, here is where I'm worried. I've read reports of people saying no issues, others with issues. I don't think there is a widespread problem with the latest device, but I may to more inquring here before going forward

Canadian/Chapters perspective
- I have $100 in Chapters gift cards
- Chapters has it on sale for $139
- I like the idea of not waiting for shipping and worrying about duty fees
- If I have issues I can deal locally, easily (I hope)
JVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Charbucks
Charbucks has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM View Post
- before bed (I won't need a lamp or a book light anymore...wife will be happy)
Unfortunately, this isn't true. The reason e-readers are so easy on the eyes is because e-ink screens are not backlit. I'd actually say my Kobo needs a bit more light than the average book, depending on the text size. Hopefully this isn't a deal breaker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM View Post
- durability, here is where I'm worried. I've read reports of people saying no issues, others with issues. I don't think there is a widespread problem with the latest device, but I may to more inquring here before going forward)
I feel like it's hard to compare durability. The Sony readers are metal and feel more solid, but I don't worry about breaking the plastic on the Kobo which feels very similar to my friend's Kindle. As to the screen, I don't toss it in a bag without putting it in a case (an ugly thing made of polar fleece and cardboard), and I wouldn't trust it to get accidentally stepped on or anything like that.
Charbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'm thinking of buying a Kobo wifi from one of the Borders stores that are closing. They have it priced at $69.99 (at least I think it is a wifi model). I'd like to use it for library books and possibly PDF viewing.

What can you do with wifi (other than buy books)? Is there some sort of browser? I'd like to be able to download things from my DropBox storage. Is there a way to email ebooks to your device?

How is Kobo's PDF support? Some of the books I want to borrow are in (DRMed) PDF format. Is the reflow likely to work usably with these?

Last edited by tomsem; 03-23-2011 at 05:48 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Just bought one at Borders for $70 on clearance! Great buy if you can find one
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
etbull
etbull began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2, Kindle 3
I picked one up for my mother at a borders that is closing. On sale for $60 +tax (OKC location).

My DH and I both have kindles, but I went with the Kobo for my Mom so she can easily check out ebooks from the library.
etbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Charbucks
Charbucks has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm thinking of buying a Kobo wifi from one of the Borders stores that are closing. They have it priced at $69.99 (at least I think it is a wifi model). I'd like to use it for library books and possibly PDF viewing.

What can you do with wifi (other than buy books)? Is there some sort of browser? I'd like to be able to download things from my DropBox storage. Is there a way to email ebooks to your device?

How is Kobo's PDF support? Some of the books I want to borrow are in (DRMed) PDF format. Is the reflow likely to work usably with these?
Sounds like it might not quite be the device for you... the only thing you can do with wifi is buy books from Kobo. DropBox access would be awesome! There's also no PDF reflow at all - in fact, PDF support is quite poor. I've found the only real way to use PDF is to make sure it's formatted properly for the screen and then view it in "full page" mode.
Charbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
jayupark
Enthusiast
jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G, Kobo wifi
I got one for my wife today. $59 +tax (total of $64) at a Borders that is closing.
If you can make a trip south of the border (lol), it might be worth it with a strong Canadian dollar (weak US dollar).
jayupark is offline   Reply With Quote