Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What will happen with reading apps on iOS?
Nothing. They are not in conflict with Apple guidelines. 13 16.46%
They'll be re-submitted without ability to purchase. 9 11.39%
They will add in-app purchase (30% to Apple). 2 2.53%
They will negotiate some new rate, less than 30%. 9 11.39%
They'll be replaced with web apps that don't go through App Store. 21 26.58%
They will disappear from the App Store. 13 16.46%
A combination of the above. 10 12.66%
None of the above. 2 2.53%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #16
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Not everyone wants to see movies in the computer, yet panoramic monitors have pretty much replaced 4:3 screens. It's sad, but "not everyone" are often irrelevant to market.
and the only reason for that was to make the displays in 16:9 laptops and even the smaller desktop displays (<=17") sound like the screens were actually larger than their 4:3 counterparts. It is purely because of marketing not because people prefer the 16:9 format in a screen on a laptop or the old standard 14"-15" desktop display.

Sure once you get into 20" or larger a 16:9 is really not bad at all, in fact it's nice to have things laid out more horizontally but under that and the screen just does not have the physical dimensions to really fit a good workflow.

Don't assume because people still buy these displays it equates with preferring them. People have no other options, just as with it being next to impossible to find a non-high gloss display anymore.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I hope it gets resolved in a manner that I can live with, because I kind of really do want an iPad2. Mostly likely I'll end up going with a cheap Android tablet because of Apple's policies.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by katewilly View Post
I just want a B&N app that allows me to sync and read on my iPhone/iTouch. I don't care about being able to buy from the app. My nook does that well enough. If I happen to be without my nook, and I see or hear of something interesting, I can make a note of it on my iPhone, and then go buy online or from my nook.
Actually you could still use safari on your iPhone to go to bn.com and purchase--I don't see why you couldn't. There's no way they're removing that browser.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

but Apple could, in theory, use a simple HOSTS file to block the B&N or any other site selling books. Do I think they would ever go that far? Not a chance but they can do it. And of course anything that can be done can be undone. A constant game and why this entire situation is so pointless and really takes away from the enjoyment buying these devices is supposed to bring people.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Some thoughts on Andrys Basten's 'A Kindle World' blog:

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2011...ies-might.html
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert