Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 10-20-2007, 03:37 AM   #1
JC36
JC36 began at the beginning.

Device: N95
Question Total Newb

Ladies and gentle man I must apologise as I'm most likely to be a one hit wonder here I'm not a big fan of forums but I stumbled over this website by accident and figured you'd be the people who could help.

I read about ebook readers years ago and have been keeping my eye out for the ever since. I've still yet to see a dedicated reader in the high streets in britain (from the few posts ive seen this isnt uncommon) so I was wondering can I use my N95 and if so how.

I downloaded a few lit files but the phone aps refuse to see them, now I have to be honest here I'm a big fan of a phone is just a phone so I dont have a clue what im doing another reason I was looking for a dedicated.

So if anyone can point me in the direction of a phone ap or a major retailer that can sell me a dedicated I'd appreciate it. Also is there a beginners guide here that includes things like, types of ebook, what can read them, encytion etc
Thanks and sorry for the obvious use and abuse.
James
Old 10-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My son-in-law has the N95. I think he can read Mobipocket books. I'm not 100% sure. I'll ask him what works with his phone for ebooks.'

MS Reader (LIT) would need to be converted to another format that your phone can handle. You'd be best off using Book Designer to do the conversion.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
JC36
JC36 began at the beginning.

Device: N95
Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:03 AM   #4
ebookie
Entrepreneur
ebookie began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v2
Hey JC,

You need to install a Litreader on your N95 to read them although I wouldn't advise it unless you have really really good eyesight.

If you get a chance to stop into an electronics shop check out the Sony PRS-505 and then check out the Irex Illiad. You may find there is something there you can find a place for amongst your gadgets (and your phone can stay being an excellent phone)

--Chuck
Old 10-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
don't listen to ebookie.
there is no reader for the symbian platform (that your n95 uses) that can read the MICROSOFT .lit format.

there is mobipocket and ereader available for symbian. both are widely available, personally i prefer mobipocket since it lets me read HTML, TXT as well as it's own mobi format.

as far as eyesight is concerned, don't sweat it. all readers allow for font-resizing, my sonyericsson p1i has about the same screen size as your n95 does, and i can read comfortably with 15 lines of text per page.
i set the background to black, text-color to light gray, and it's perfect. also, your phone might allow you to dim your screen so if you're in a completely dark room the brightness won't hurt your eyes.

Last edited by mores; 10-29-2007 at 07:22 AM. Reason: added a smiley because it sounded a little harsh, which it was not supposed to
Old 10-23-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookie View Post
If you get a chance to stop into an electronics shop check out the Sony PRS-505
In the UK? I don't think so!