Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
PRS-505 PID?

Since I haven't been able to use the Sony bookstore, I'd like to try Fictionwise. Can I purchase only non-DRM books from them? Will I need to know my device PID to do so? If so, how do I discover my PID?

Thanks in advance for the help.
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Only Mobipocket devices have a PID. If you install the free Mobipocket Reader (Windows only), your copy of Mobipocket Reader will have its own unique PID that you'd use when buying DRMed Mobipocket books.

But you won't be able to read these books on your Sony. There is a way to strip the DRM from the Mobipocket books, and then Calibre would be able to convert the books for use on your Sony, but doing so is (probably) illegal in the US.

You could also download in DRMed Microsoft .lit format. there's also a program that will strip the DRM from those files, and then Calibre can convert for your Sony.

Most (all?) of Fictionwise's Multiformat eBooks will work directly with your Sony when you download the LRF version. This is the easiest way to add books to your Sony.

You can also get books from the eBooks forum here. And if your tastes run to SF/Fantasy, check out the Webscription website, which also does DRM free eBooks in Sony LRF format http://www.webscription.net/

regards,

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmathprog View Post
Since I haven't been able to use the Sony bookstore, I'd like to try Fictionwise. Can I purchase only non-DRM books from them? Will I need to know my device PID to do so? If so, how do I discover my PID?

Thanks in advance for the help.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert