Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
tomtt2
tomtt2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Smile Title / Author Fields in txt docs

I just received my Sony reader this past week and already love it. I read through the Users Guide and picked up a lot but I recently noticed something that I hope I can fix.

If I import a Word document on which I've filled in the Title and Author fields in the document properties, it displays this information in the reader menus.
Unfortunately, I found that when I begin a document, there is a long delay while th document is "formatted". Then when I try to vary the text size it appear quite small even on the largest option.

Now if I save the document as a plain text document it loads quickly without any "formatting" delay and the text size button makes noticable differences. Unfortunately, the plain text document does not display the Author field.

Am I missing a step?
Is there a technique for createing text documents that load quickly and display the Author field?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I didn't know how to even pose the search criteria.

Thanks!
tom T
tomtt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
Vgonman
Vgonman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I use RTF format for most of my eBooks on my PRS-505. Unfortunately, there is no way around the 'formatting' delay. Luckily this delay only happens the first time you open the doc and the first time you change the text size (for a maximum of 3 formatting delays per doc... 1. Open, 2. Change to medium text size, 3. Change to large text size) I was, however, able to change the text size in Word to a much more readable size. I find 20pt Arial easy to read even on the smallest size (It also has the bonus of only 1 'formatting' delay of 30-45 seconds depending on the size of the document).

I have so many TXT and word files that I Xfer to my reader that I wrote a little macro script for Word to help format the docs for the reader.

By the way, this macro helped cut my conversion time from 20+ minutes per doc down to less than 5 per doc.

It changes the page margins to .5 inches all around (I don't think this really does anything for the reader, but it does cut the number of pages for the doc in Word).
It auto indents the first line of all paragraphs.
It removes the "ragged right" space by fully justifying anything that is NOT centered.
It also brings up a dialog box for the entry of Title and Author info.

If you would like a copy of the script I can send a raw TXT file that you paste into the macro window under the Tools menu.
Vgonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 04:54 AM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vgonman View Post
I use RTF format for most of my eBooks on my PRS-505. Unfortunately, there is no way around the 'formatting' delay.
Are you using the Sony software to copy the RTFs to the Sony, or saving them there directly? If the latter, you could try saving them to a particular folder on your hard disk then either manually copying them across or sync that folder to the Sony and see if that removes the delay.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
tomtt2
tomtt2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Thanks Vgonman,
Excellent answer. I wasn't sure if the delay was every time or not. If it's just the first time that should not be a big deal. The format ideas for the word doc sound like a good idea as well.

I did find the software package Calibre and installed it. I converted my word docs to RTF then used Caliber to convert them to the native Sony LRF format. Caliber allows me to add Title, Author and Sort meta data which the Reader picks up. The converted files loaded quickly. Displayed author/title information and the text size is easily changable.

I very happy with the performance of Caliber and it was easy to figure out.

Now that I have the first 43 books converted and loaded, I think the Caliber route will be pretty easy going forward.

Thanks for taking the time to explain some of the basics. I'v only had the reader about a week but I'm already loving it.

Tom T
tomtt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Vgonman
Vgonman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
No problem
Vgonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I have put RTF on my 500 (none yet on my 505) I saved the RTF in 16 point. I found that wasa good size to start with and you can go up from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote