Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
how to SAFELY add fonts ?

Hi guys , im loving my cybook except for the finicky nature of two things, the included usb cable but mostly , the process of adding fonts, I've been adding them to the internal cybook memory in the "Fonts" folder while plugged into my imac, this has worked a few times but three times now i have managed to effectively brick it as it corrupts the "font family" list so its either empty or full of bullets marking non existent font choices, ive had to wipe cybook folders , hard reset and then replace my ebooks folder from a backup,

so ...are there limitations to how many fonts you can add ?
is it better to make a "Fonts" directory on the SD card and use that ?
can some fonts manage to corrupt the list ? im using mainly ttf but have had success with some otf files as well.
i hope im just missing something here as my quest for the clearest and most condensed font is far from over
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
bypass
bypass began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
how to SAFELY add fonts ?

I wonder if maybe this could be a result of using your Mac?
I tend to use a Windows PC for doing most things with my cybook but have used my mac to add pictures and I had a similar problem that I think was incured by the fact that a mac will add a couple of (hidden?) files to the directory? Once I deleted these it worked ok.

regarding the number of fonts you can have on the device I don't know if there is a technical limit but there is a practical one in that you can only see a list of fonts that fits on the screen, any more and although they are selectable they will be off screen and you will not be able to see what you are selecting. (may not explain it clearly but just put on 20 or 30 fonts and try it to see what I mean).

Am not sure about using the SD card slot for fonts. seem to rememeber reading somewhere that fonts can only be loaded using the folder on the main device.

lastly regarding the type of font, I have never tried anything else but Bookeen only seem to ever mention ttf so perhaps this the only type properly supported?
bypass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
This happened to me with a font once - after I installed it the complete list was corrupted, once I removed it everything was fine again.

I have installed around 30-40 fonts so far always trying to find new ones that are easy on the eyes and I keep around 12 installed on my device. You can install ttf and otf fonts without any problems normally but you shouldn't install too many of them at one as the list can get larger than the screen and then you won't see the top and bottom fonts anymore)
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Hi, in fact there is a bug in some firmware for the CyBook with font managing. In the System folder there is a file named '.fonts.cache-1' that store fonts informations.
If you have bugs with the fonts, just plug your Gen3 and delete this file and everything be back to normal then.

This bug should be corrected with the next firmware (that will be soon, bookeen's says me).
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote