Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #331
hanog
Enthusiast
hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi!

First of all, I would say a big fat Thanks for the hacks!
What is the minimum resolution in book cover mode that still looks great?
This cover feature work with azw files?

Thanks!
hanog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #332
PeterBr
Enthusiast
PeterBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini Retina, iBooks on Mavrericks
@NiLuJe Outstanding work, thank you again. Love the pinfo-Option, now I have a reason to keep the lock on.

I've looked at cover-extract and saw that it would trivial to change the "if found" text, but would it also be possible to fix special characters? Right now t display an "ü" as "00FC". (I don't get the 00. FC is ü in latin 1, but in UTF-8 it would be c3 bc - 00 fc is the ü codeposition, though.)

Edit: Strange: After adding another line to my personal info, it gets rendered correctly, with an umlaut.

Alternatively, you could make somthing like this:

if [ -s "pinfo" ]
then
pinfotext=`cat pinfo`;
else
pinfotext="If found....";
fi

For myself, i just edited cover-extract on the kindle and started it again, but my changes didn't cause anything. Did I miss anything?

Last edited by PeterBr; 01-23-2013 at 01:29 AM.
PeterBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #333
KillerKlown
KillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with others

Device: Kindle Touch
I have KT with Special Offers, upgraded to 5.3.2 recently (left jailbreak), don't care for the book cover screensaver, just want a custom photo of my gal everytime I turn off the kindle. Is this doable? If yes, what should I install? thx!
KillerKlown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #334
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKlown View Post
I have KT with Special Offers, upgraded to 5.3.2 recently (left jailbreak), don't care for the book cover screensaver, just want a custom photo of my gal everytime I turn off the kindle. Is this doable? If yes, what should I install? thx!
Send your girl over to my place - we will figure out what should be done.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #335
PeterBr
Enthusiast
PeterBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini Retina, iBooks on Mavrericks
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKlown View Post
, just want a custom photo of my gal everytime I turn off the kindle. Is this doable? If yes, what should I install? thx!
Everything you need to download, read and install is in the first post of this thread.
PeterBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #336
ac5891
ac5891 began at the beginning.

Hi everyone, I just got my Kindle and this website has been amazing. I got a PW and installed the ScreenSaver Hack. Everything is working and since there isn't a "PW ScreenSavers" Resource as with the Tumbler I created this:
http://kindlepaperwhitewallpapers.imgur.com/all/

But there is one problem with the screensavers I'm creating, for some reason they seem a little bit transparent compared to the default images. I'm using the following websites to help me out:

http://kindlesavers.com/resources/ho...-screensavers/

If someone can point me out where could be my error I'll be thankful.

PS: Sorry for my english
ac5891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #337
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac5891 View Post
Hi everyone, I just got my Kindle and this website has been amazing. I got a PW and installed the ScreenSaver Hack. Everything is working and since there isn't a "PW ScreenSavers" Resource as with the Tumbler I created this:
http://kindlepaperwhitewallpapers.imgur.com/all/
I am getting a "not publicly available" message from that link.

Are you going to go public with your screensavers?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #338
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Site works for me (instructions site), are you remembering to deselect transparency as per the following instruction on the site:
We can deslect Transparency

Other than that I can't help much I'm afraid as I don't use Photoshop.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #339
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
Site works for me
Does not work for the general public - view screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imgur.png
Views:	236
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	99976  
Old 01-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #340
hanog
Enthusiast
hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is the correct method to use pinfo? I use cover, black this is OK.
When I use cover, black, pinfo nothing happend. I cleard cache, reboot, disconnect phisically the device from usb port, open a brand new book and read some page. Only things just happend is recreate previous book cover.
I use a PW fw5.3.1 I paid for remove AD's. The device is Jailbraked, installed the JBPatch, and python and screensaver stuff.

Edit:
I tried just pinfo: nothing
black, pinfo: nothing
cover, pinfo: nothing

So looks like the process halt when pinfo is exist.
I checked the cache directory. The book cover (new) is exist, but the format is jpeg.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by hanog; 01-24-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #341
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanog View Post
What is the correct method to use pinfo? I use cover, black this is OK.
When I use cover, black, pinfo nothing happend. I cleard cache, reboot, disconnect phisically the device from usb port, open a brand new book and read some page. Only things just happend is recreate previous book cover.
I use a PW fw5.3.1 I paid for remove AD's. The device is Jailbraked, installed the JBPatch, and python and screensaver stuff.

Edit:
I tried just pinfo: nothing
black, pinfo: nothing
cover, pinfo: nothing

So looks like the process halt when pinfo is exist.
I checked the cache directory. The book cover (new) is exist, but the format is jpeg.

Any suggestions?
After you clear the covers cache, you need to do a restart from the menu then open the new book for a little while. Should work then, at least that's what I had to do. (I use 'cover', 'pinfo', and 'black' together)
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #342
KillerKlown
KillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with others

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBr View Post
Everything you need to download, read and install is in the first post of this thread.
Damn! It doesn't work... I'm still getting ads after turning off.
I installed python 0.3.N, restarted, installed linkss 0.7.N, restarted, made *.png file (greyscale 600x800), did everything as described, put it next to some other file in the screensaver folder, restarted and... nothing
KillerKlown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #343
ac5891
ac5891 began at the beginning.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll start working on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I am getting a "not publicly available" message from that link.

Are you going to go public with your screensavers?
Yes it is suppose to be public, I just changed the settings to public. Just in case I only have 4 examples so far haha.
ac5891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #344
hanog
Enthusiast

@GoSharks
Now work thanks! (I tried this method before, but not helped, but now.)

@NiLuJe
I ask if possible of course, the next release extend the character support. I am not skilled in linux and software developing. So please implement to support these:

á Á í Í ű Ű ő Ő ü Ü ö Ö ú Ú ó Ó é É

Thank You!

Last edited by hanog; 01-25-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:11 AM   #345
AllenH
Enthusiast
AllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Well, all worked before I tried the update. Here are the steps I took:
- added update python to the kindle, ejected, updated via settings
- added update linkss to the kindle, ejected, updated via settings

And now no matter how long I wait in various books, I can't seem to get the screensaver to update. Using black option and cover.

I've tried restarting numerous times (settings menu) hard off and on via the button, and nothing.

I'm still at 5.3.1 on a KW PW.

One thing that concerned me is I noticed that the linkss folder was not updated with the current date - meaning that perhaps no files were changed. I assume there should be some files or folders updated inside? Anything I'm doing incorrectly, or pointers?

(all working previously without problems- beautiful hack!)

ps- "reboot" file didn't work for some reason- I'm suspicious the code isn't running for me.

Last edited by AllenH; 01-25-2013 at 03:33 AM. Reason: added ps
AllenH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch