Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Ayle
Enthusiast
Ayle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 650
Smile PRS650 Waterproof case?

So, I took the jump and ordered the PRS 650, for ebooks and manga (YEY!)
So one of my intended uses is a bathtub, pool reader Now, as I dont trust my capacity to keep a regular $5 book above water (im a clumsy, clumsy person), I am sure not gonna try with a $200+ piece of electronics, unless I am VERY certain it wont get damaged. So I ask, wich case is good for protecting my investment?
Close fit is not a must, since its only an occasional use.
Padded for bumps would be nice but not a must.
Submersion proof Is a must. I wanna know for certain that it wont fail if it drops to the bottom of the pool.

So there, If you know of a case that complies, please let me know, and thanks in advance for the answers!
Ayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
This one works well for my Pocketbook. It's a little long, but definitely waterproof. I can vouch for that, because I've dunked it myself.

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/water...64-1141-0.html
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
jlbfoot
idiot
jlbfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 300, and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
This one works well for my Pocketbook. It's a little long, but definitely waterproof. I can vouch for that, because I've dunked it myself.

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/water...64-1141-0.html
I wonder how a case like that would affect the touch screen function on a 650?
jlbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Ayle
Enthusiast

I guess it would be easier to use the buttons behind one of this...
Old 10-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I'll check this weekend. We gave the Sony to my sister-in-law, but she's coming to visit tomorrow.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbfoot View Post
I wonder how a case like that would affect the touch screen function on a 650?
I've got one I've used with my PRS-505 for two years and it's great for that but sucks with the touch screen 650. Because the plastic is so flexible I kept on inadvertantly activating the dictionary, page turns, all sorts of stuff. I found it unusable, which is why my 505 lives at home for bathtimes and the 650 lives at work for lunchtimes.

I worry about a future where everything is touchscreen driven - no more reading in the bath?

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The solutions is to take a quick shower and then go read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Ayle
Enthusiast

But if you load a book before and use only the buttons?
I reaaally want to get in the tub with a book I always find it relaxing but boring, since I have a little bit of Attention Disorder, and need to be doing something.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I use the M-edge Leisure cover on my 505 to read in the bath.

I've also used it for the 600 and it worked fine with the touch screen.

It's not waterproof, but it is water-resistant. It's also a nice texture for holding with wet hands, so you're less likely to drop it.

The plastic is raised off the screen, but I don't know how it would interact with the 650's IR touch screen.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
That Aquapac in the OP's reply, looks like a winner at a fair price.

OR if you don't like it for some reason:
You might search[Google/Bing] using some of the text in the Aquapac's description too.

Maybe you'll find a waterproof MAP CASE that has a clear, somewhat soft, window that permits good viewing and button pushing. There may be other waterproof cases from Camping vendors that will serve. Also look at soft universal type camera/photo equipment cases. Look as cases designed for Snorklers at Dive equipment vendoes too. There are cases, bags and such that might have clear windows and may even be depth rated to several feet/meters.

Last edited by Vienna01; 10-21-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I use the M-Edge Leisure case (originally bought for a 600) with my 650. Touch screen functions do not work through the plastic and must use the buttons to turn pages.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:24 AM   #12
StanByk
Connoisseur
StanByk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01 View Post
That Aquapac in the OP's reply, looks like a winner at a fair price.
I bought one for my 505 and it worked really great, but it is a pain to use with the 650 because of the IR-touchscreen. I had so many problems with the Aquapac/650 combinations that i stopped reading in the bathtub... (or I go use my old 505 instead).
StanByk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
Icefeldt
Enthusiast
Icefeldt has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
there should be an option do disable the touchscreen with the buttons.

so the use of a waterproof case could be possible.
Icefeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Device: PRS650
You can also try Trend Digital

They have waterproof and splash proof cases for e-readers:
http://trendydigital.com/index.php

Though they don't have a waterproof one specifically for the 650/600, they do for lots of other ereader models. No reason why you can't use a prs700 case.

Its half the price of the Aquapac too.

Last edited by deadgloves; 10-23-2010 at 12:47 PM.
deadgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #15
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanByk View Post
I bought one for my 505 and it worked really great, but it is a pain to use with the 650 because of the IR-touchscreen. I had so many problems with the Aquapac/650 combinations that i stopped reading in the bathtub... (or I go use my old 505 instead).
I just got the aquapack one today for my older 600 (which I don't mind dunking in the bath by accident) I tried my 350 in it and it worked fine. the screen did miss the odd swipe to turn pages but worked okay, had no problem just using the buttons for page turns though, so seems fine and useable with my one.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote