Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre/iPad integration

The integration between Calibre and and iBooks on an iPad is a great new feature

Points I have noted so far are:
  • I have both audiobooks and ebooks on my iPad. Calibre listed each audiobook file as though it was a book in its own right. I think that either audio books shoud be ignored (possibly using a preference in the device driver), or the files for the same book grouped into a single entry in Calibre (some of the audio books can have over 100 separate files).

• I am using both iBooks and Stanza on my iPad. I like the catalog feature of Stanza that has no equivalent in iBooks (or any other iPad eReader I am aware of). I am not sure at the moment if I prefer the actual overall reading experience in iBooks or Stanza - both have their pros and cons. Are there any plans to provide a similar level of integration via iTunes with Stanza+Calibre as is provided with iBooks+Calibre now that Stanza 3.0 support the iPad natively?

• Every time I use "Send to Device" or delete books from the iPad I get an
    "ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device" message although the action appears to have completed. The option to copy the extra detail to the Clipboard appears to not be working as the error dialog keeps coming up with the button already saying "Copied" (I will restart Calibre to see if that makes a difference).

That is it for now. but I am sure more will surface as I use this feature more.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
itimpi:

I will look into ignoring audiobooks in the book list on the device.

There are no current plans to add iTunes->Stanza support, but feel free to post an enhancement request.

Please review the overview in this post to confirm your iTunes settings, in particular steps 2 and 3, then let me know if you're still seeing the problem.

Are you running OSX or Windows?

G

Last edited by GRiker; 06-05-2010 at 08:26 AM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My iTunes is set up with the specified settings. I am running on Windows 7 Pro.

I restarted Calibre and now when the error occurs I get the Copy to Clipboard button visible. This suggests that there may be a bug around the initial state of that dialog if it displayed more than once. I would suggest that if one uses the "Show Details" buttong then the "Copy to Clipboard" should be re-enabled. I also found that when the "Copy to Clipboard" button IS enabled it does not actually copy the more detailed report to the Clipboard so iI cannot easily post it here!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I also found that when the "Copy to Clipboard" button IS enabled it does not actually copy the more detailed report to the Clipboard so iI cannot easily post it here!
I have found that the (at least sometimes) information is made available to the clipboard, but then disappears from the clipboard when calibre exits. I get around this by pasting the message into notepad before quitting calibre.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard

It is not working for me even with the error dialog still on the screen!
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

itimpi: Please start calibre in debug mode with the iPad connected then post the initial diagnostics (until the Jobs spinner stops) in a spoiler.
Code:
calibre-debug -g
G
Old 06-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I have both audiobooks and ebooks on my iPad. Calibre listed each audiobook file as though it was a book in its own right. I think that either audio books shoud be ignored (possibly using a preference in the device driver), or the files for the same book grouped into a single entry in Calibre (some of the audio books can have over 100 separate files).
Please unzip the the attached script from a command window, then run it with the following invocation:
Code:
calibre-debug -e iTunes-Windows-itimpi.py
then PM me the contents of the command window after the code runs. This dumps the types of the books on your iPad. I need to confirm the type declared for audiobooks.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 06-05-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard

PM sent. Let me know if more info is needed.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
GRiker

I've revised the logic for adding books in the next release, should ignore audiobooks. Thanks for your assistance.

G