Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-10-2023, 07:36 PM   #1
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Silo - Hugh Howey

Looking for some feedback on the Silo series by Hugh Howey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silo_(series)

At a whopping 427,000 words (LOTR is 523,000 words) I was hoping for some advice before the big investment.

I enjoyed the tv show, so hoping I would enjoy the books. But nowadays enjoying the movie/tv show is not really a reliable guide that the books are equally enjoyable. (Foundation, World War Z, Children of Men books are vastly different and less enjoyable than their movie counterparts)
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 08:30 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Looking for some feedback on the Silo series by Hugh Howey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silo_(series)

At a whopping 427,000 words (LOTR is 523,000 words) I was hoping for some advice before the big investment.

I enjoyed the tv show, so hoping I would enjoy the books. But nowadays enjoying the movie/tv show is not really a reliable guide that the books are equally enjoyable. (Foundation, World War Z, Children of Men books are vastly different and less enjoyable than their movie counterparts)
I've read it an it is very good. Go for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2023, 08:42 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
You're supposed to read the book first. Always, without exception.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:04 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I read the books a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed them, I can strongly recommend them. Didn't realise it's in the same ballpark as the LOTR in terms of pages.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:32 PM   #5
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I really enjoyed it when I read it the first time. I re-read it in anticipation of the show last year and early this year and it was good the second time too. Although I haven't caught the show yet.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2023, 02:29 AM   #6
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi all and thanks for the replies.
Sounds like Silo is a must read, so I'll go ahead with it.

Three books...
1. Wool
2. Shift
3. Dust.

2. Shift is a prequel
1. Wool is the main story
3. Dust is the Sequel.
So I'll read in that order.

There are also three short stories in the collection Machine Learning, but no idea where they fit in. Anybody know?

Then I keep coming across mentions of an Omnibus, but I am not clear if this is an additional collection of stories, or someone has just compiled all the stories into one volume. Anybody know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You're supposed to read the book first. Always, without exception.
There is only one problem with that. Most times I have no idea those books exist until I start seeing the advertising for the movie/tv show.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:06 AM   #7
Aleron Ives
Guru
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The omnibus was $2 earlier this year.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088BBLMGS
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 04:29 AM   #8
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I enjoyed them an awful lot. They may one day be a reread.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 09:12 AM   #9
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The omnibus was $2 earlier this year.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088BBLMGS
The Omnibus can be bought for dkr 79.95 appr. $10 at Saxo.com. This is a Danish bookstore, I don't know if they sell abroad. They are very often cheaper than the more usual places. The books in English are ADE protected. Books in Danish are watermarked.
link to the omnibus.

I really should stop checking Reading Recommendations. My TBR is far too long and I am easely tempted.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 10:46 AM   #10
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Hi all and thanks for the replies.
Sounds like Silo is a must read, so I'll go ahead with it.

Three books...
1. Wool
2. Shift
3. Dust.

2. Shift is a prequel
3. Dust is the Sequel.
NO! This is a bad idea. Shift is not a prequel, per se, insofar as it's not like many other "Set one thousand years before the main story with a completely separate cast of characters". You need to read Wool first to understand the background of Shift. There are events happening both before and after Wool that are referenced in Shift, and characters in Shift reappear in Dust. There are major plot points/revelations in Wool that would be spoiled by reading Shift first, as they're taken as a given by that point.

Don't try to be clever. Read it in the published order.

EDIT: Also, having read the Silo trilogy a year ago and the LOTR trilogy maybe a couple years ago, I can attest that if they're approximately the same length, they're nowhere *near* the same pacing. Silo moves at a lightning pace compared to the mammoth plodding of LOTR.

Last edited by Cactus Chef; 12-11-2023 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Clarified story content.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 10:58 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The TV show differs pretty quickly from the books, but not annoyingly so IMO. I've enjoyed both the books, the show, and the first book again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Don't try to be clever. Read it in the published order
Completely agree. I don't demand that people read series' in any particular order, but I would highly recommend the published order here (and nearly every other case).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-11-2023 at 11:01 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 12:53 PM   #12
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
2. Shift is a prequel
3. Dust is the Sequel.
I agree with others, you want to read these in published order. I would not call Shift a prequel, although the series isn't completely linear.

Quote:
There are also three short stories in the collection Machine Learning, but no idea where they fit in. Anybody know?
It looks like the three stories from Machine Learning are the three short stories from the Apocalypse Triptych series of short story collections, In the Air, In the Mountains, and In the Woods. I would recommend reading them all after Dust. Again, not necessarily linear but they are best read after the main series. Reading this series in a completely in-series chronological way is not going to be the best experience.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 06:08 PM   #13
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
NO! This is a bad idea. Shift is not a prequel, per se, insofar as it's not like many other "Set one thousand years before the main story with a completely separate cast of characters". You need to read Wool first to understand the background of Shift. There are events happening both before and after Wool that are referenced in Shift, and characters in Shift reappear in Dust. There are major plot points/revelations in Wool that would be spoiled by reading Shift first, as they're taken as a given by that point.

Don't try to be clever. Read it in the published order.

EDIT: Also, having read the Silo trilogy a year ago and the LOTR trilogy maybe a couple years ago, I can attest that if they're approximately the same length, they're nowhere *near* the same pacing. Silo moves at a lightning pace compared to the mammoth plodding of LOTR.
Ok, thanks for the explanation. I'll read in the published order.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:58 AM   #14
Karellen
Wizard

I finished reading the Silo collection, and I really enjoyed them.
Wool was the stand out, but Shift and Dust were not too far behind for enjoyment.
The first season of the TV Show follows the storyline not exactly, but quite well, at least it didn't go off the rails like Foundation tv show.

Regarding the reading order, I do have to disagree with everyone that urged me to read in Publication order.

I found that reading this way, after I finished Wool, I lost momentum as the story jumped to something entirely different with Shift.

Shift parts 1 & 2 are true Prequels, and there is no overlap with storylines between it and Wool.
Shift part 3 - some of the timeline runs concurrently with Wool, but not much, and events occur elsewhere with different characters.
Wool is the central story
Dust is a direct continuation of Wool. It's essentially additional chapters to Wool.

Reading in timeline order gives a better flow, and the bits that run concurrently between Shift and Wool, is really towards the end of Shift, and it is only the last few lines of the novel where you realise exactly the crossover. Then straight into Wool which then flows into Dust.

Instead reading in publication order, you jump all over the place and lose momentum. Wool should be followed by Dust, but you don't because you then read the prequel, and once you finish that, you jump to Dust, which is a direct continuation of Wool, but the story has been broken to catch up on the prequel.

Nah, what a shi$$y way to read it.

For anyone wondering how to read, then take my advice and read in timeline, not publication order.

Last edited by Karellen; 12-22-2023 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-27-2023, 02:41 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There would be absolute spoilers for Wool if others were read first. If you don't mind spoilers, that's fine. But publication order is almost always best. It's how the world came to love them after all. Why second guess the way the most people had no choice but to read them?

Besides... stories told strictly linearly are terribly overrated. I compare them to being spoonfed oatmeal.

I'm curious what your definition of a "true prequel" is? I don't really recognize different grades of prequels myself, and your definition of prequel seems to differ from mine.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-27-2023 at 02:52 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote