Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #76
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, nbfsinger

Well stated, alefor. Something to keep in mind is that for PDFs that you absolutely need to read landscape, you can always use Documents to Go in landscape (although it doesn't allow annotation). This app also has the advantage of panning by finger (the eInk side needs you to tap with the stylus).

Old 01-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #77
alefor
Edge User

Just another option, is RepliGo for reading .pdf files. I have found it somewhat better than Documents-to-go on the tablet side. It seems to handle the big .pdf's (which I use alot it seems) better than the Documents-to-go. For relatively short-term reading, I find the tablet side more than adequate, and it has the super benefit (for what i do at least) of being able to read on the tablet side while I simultaneously take notes on the eInk side. Further, I have found that while some of my .pdfs are rather "light" on the eInk side, they are easier to read on the tablet side. But these are highly individual issues and one has to know what is best for oneself. One size does not fit all.

Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #78
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Why should we have to settle for work arounds? Other ereaders have solved the landscape 'issue'.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #79
borisb
Edge User

I've always thought that annotations are the hold-back on landscape. I wonder: do any of the other ereaders allow annotation in landscape? Some people have suggested disabling annotations in landscape, but that would still leave probably half the people who need landscape unhappy.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #80
nbfsinger
Edge User

I dont think the problem is having annotations in landscape but what happens when you change from one view to the other so i am suggesting that your view be fixed once you start annotating thus solving the problem. I for one would be very happy with this work around.

Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #81
fgruber
Edge User

I don't think this solution would work at all. Suppose we had landscape then you would only be able see half the page at a time. You would need to use the pan tools to scroll down and see the rest. With the way the annotations work right now once you write something then you are lock to that position. You can't pan anymore. Therefore you would be unable to see the lower half of your document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbfsinger View Post
I dont think the problem is having annotations in landscape but what happens when you change from one view to the other so i am suggesting that your view be fixed once you start annotating thus solving the problem. I for one would be very happy with this work around.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #82
fgruber
Edge User

One way to deal with multicolumn documents is to convert them to one column with something like papercrop:
http://jupiter.kaist.ac.kr/~taesoo/p...index_eng.html

It would be nice if something like like this was implemented on the edge. As an alternative to reflow...

Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #83
janvangastel
Edge User

Did you try this (papercrop) out? If yes: can you please elaborate on how (good) it works?

Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #84
fgruber
Edge User

It may be a bit complicated to setup at the beginning. Also seems to give problems with some images that get split.
But overall I think it does a decent job. You can always open the original pdf on the tablet side to see the original paper while annotating the converted version

For example check this converted paper:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4794661/Para...ce_simgle2.pdf

and compare with the original:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4794661/Para...0Resonance.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by janvangastel View Post
Did you try this (papercrop) out? If yes: can you please elaborate on how (good) it works?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #85
Fred
Edge User

Rotating possibility to have landscape viewing on e-inkt screen is very important.
+1 in favour !

Specially on the Pocket-edge !

Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #86
jjoensuu
Edge User

Yes I would also appreciate the rotating ability of the e-ink side. So +1.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #87
good153
Edge User

Yes, landscape mode on E-ink reader side is very important. +1

Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #88
smcdiaz
Edge User

I joint the request on rotating e-ink view. I think it is an important feature!!!

Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #89
nowyousee
Edge User

It is a must for reading scanned pdf, especially for Pocket Edge. +1