Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
Dictionaries for Pocketbook 360: Why is the info so cryptic? And other questions!

I tried to follow the instructions on this link regarding dictionary conversion from XDXF to dic in order to convert some eng-eng dictionaries. But the half-assed translation from German (made by Google) is not clear enough (I think the original instruction is also half-assed) for a layman like me. Or, maybe yeah! I´m just plain dumb and stupid.

I've downloaded all the dictionaries I want and the converter, but when I execute the converter I don´t know whether the result is saved somewhere else or at all (there is NO CLUE from the converter itself as to whether it has done what it is supposed to do). I tried with all the files collates.txt, keyboard.txt and morphems.txt (the 3 files that downloaded with the converter) in the same directory along with it, but nothing. One time I got something like "can't read collates" or words to that effect.

This is the example of the command line the instruction in English exhibits:

converter.exe ishodnyy_slovar katalog_s_yazykovoy_informatsiey
Maybe this is where I get lost.

The command line I used was: convert. exe (name of dictionary as it downloaded) eng(initials of dictionary).dic (As I understand this is the extension the PB360 uses).

They also use this example: converter.exe dict.xdxf eng which I used exactly as is shown here.

The dictionaries I tried to convert are comn_dls03_oxford.tar.bz2, comn_dls03_mwc.tar.bz2.

Either way, I want to make this call to you, the Pocketbook 360 user that was smart enough to follow the instructions and was successful in converting the original XDXF into a USABLE PB360 eng-eng dictionary.

SOLVED. SEE BELOW
-----------------------------------

Other questions:
When I explore my PB360 in Windows Explorer, there are 2 directories named "Books" in the folders structure. Why is that? Can I erase one of them? Which? I've studied them and have the same books on both.

SOLVED. SEE BELOW

I have tried to use a photo as shut-off image, but the PB360 doesn’t recognize it. I've used bmp and jpg images of different sizes to no avail. Anybody ever tried this?

for your replies, they will help many!!

Last edited by Chikwako; 02-09-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: pocketbook902
hi Chikwako,
command line didn't work for me too.
what worked is:
-have the file to convert, the directory with "rules" (morphems etc) and converter.exe in the same directory
- left click the file to convert, ctrl-leftclick the "rules" folder, so that both are selected
- drag them on converter.exe icon
that's all
cheers
t
teofrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well folks, it turns out that I'm just dumb and stupid!

I realized that I HAD NOT UNZIPPED the XDXF files downloaded from the dictionaries page (for some reason, these files did not show as zip/rar or any other compressed format). That is why I tried to convert them directly.

Well, as ashamed as I am, I will leave the post as is, so maybe others will learn from my mistakes.

(Thanks teofrast, I went back and tried again after your comment, then realized my mistake)

Regarding the other 2 questions, I figured that the other books subdirectory (is in system\state\Books) is the list of the ones I have opened.

The last question I haven't figured out yet. Comments are welcomed!!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post
The last question I haven't figured out yet. Comments are welcomed!!
Look here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68131

Have fun...
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Chikwako
Reader EZ

Thank you troll05, I will follow your tutorial this weekend, I'll let you know.
Advert