Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #17431
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I completed two books today. The first was A Cruel Deceit by Lauren Haney, sixth in her series of historical mysteries set in ancient Egypt. I picked up the last three in the series for only $0.99 each from Amazon and I'll be starting the next one in the series tomorrow. The second book was Forest Born by Shannon Hale. This is the fourth (of four) in her Tales of Bayern series. I've read all of them as audio books. These are recorded by Bruce Coville's Full Cast Audio productions. I'm currently reading Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi and will be re-reading Little Fuzzy (by H Beam Piper and converted by JSWolf for the MobileRead Library) for comparison.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #17432
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Going to be starting Dust by Hugh Howey tonight.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #17433
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I finished Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore in the morning. Ir really liked it, this was a pleasure to read sentence after sentence.
Now, I'll start A Feast for Crows. I was expecting to be done with it by the end of August, but I'm pretty sure it will more likely be in the first half of September
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #17434
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up is American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I keep hearing good things about it but I didn't enjoy the one short by him that I read earlier this year. We will see.
Much better than the previous Gaiman I had read. Very much enjoyed this one.

Now onto Dust by Hugh Howey. I almost interrupted American Gods to read this when it came out on Saturday, but decided I should just read one at a time since I was close on AG.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #17435
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I'm about 40% through Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. I've had the hardcover for years and never read it because of the size and weight of the tome. It's great to read it as an e-book and it is indeed a very good book.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #17436
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Finished the hugely hyped The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey. I don't know if I'm just too old and jaded for YA novels, but it just didn't work for me. Great premise, good characters, but it felt too contrived. And the aliens seemed to be complete idiots. (Full review on my blog)
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #17437
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I finished Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore in the morning. Ir really liked it, this was a pleasure to read sentence after sentence.
Now, I'll start A Feast for Crows. I was expecting to be done with it by the end of August, but I'm pretty sure it will more likely be in the first half of September
My mistake: I'm going to start reading A Storm of Swords, not the next installment
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #17438
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
My mistake: I'm going to start reading A Storm of Swords, not the next installment
Yes, it's very important to read A Storm of Swords before A Feast for Crows!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #17439
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
IAnd now: Firefight Y2K by Dean Ing. Another of my long-ago Baen purchases. I think HarryT read it recently and liked it. Let's see how I find it....
I liked it pretty well. It turns out I have read it before - I remembered one or two of the stories quite well. Some fun stories, but the fact articles are indeed a bit dull.

Next up: Lest Darkness Fall by L. Sprague de Camp. This is the Phoenix Pick edition, with stories by other writers included. Bought last month.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #17440
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
I finally finished a fun steampunk adventure, Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (I just had to stop in the middle of it to read Magic Rises )

After reading a few romances (both good and bad) I'm now reading Leviathan Wakes. Space opera and mystery in space. It alternates chapters from two POV, and at first I thought it chopped up the story a bit to much, but now I like the two viewpoints switching so often.

It's supposed to have a less than stellar ending, but I'm not there yet, and so far I like it.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #17441
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm reading one of those books you always meant to read, but never got around to it, but it is a classic and you should have read it .....

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, and I have to say "mmemmmphh" - I'm not real impressed at all, by either the story or the writing ... I'll finish it, but I don't think I really missed anything here. There are some striking uses of tropical imagery, but the story line, dialogue, and plot are really unimpressive. Especially when you consider the obeah story lines. Sigh ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #17442
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
After 80 pages I gave up on Gridlinked by Neal Asher. Ian Cormac disconnected from the Grid and I from this book. It boiled down to psychopath chases flawed agent.

Next, from the library, Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #17443
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next, from the library, Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde.
Might take a bit to get into this one, don't give up too quickly and you'll be rewarded with a fun and quirky read. The sequel is supposed to be published this year.

Last edited by Synamon; 08-20-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #17444
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
After 80 pages I gave up on Gridlinked by Neal Asher. Ian Cormac disconnected from the Grid and I from this book.
I didn't mind this book. It was my first Asher. However, it didn't impress me enough to want to read any more, so it was also my last Asher.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #17445
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I didn't mind this book. It was my first Asher. However, it didn't impress me enough to want to read any more, so it was also my last Asher.
Same here. I don't know if it's just a bad place to start, since I often see him recommended and know a couple of fans, but I just didn't get enough out of it to want more.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote