Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #331
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mony View Post
i had succeded in putting kindle in fast boot mode and i got c:\fastboot) after sliver18 said to me make fastboot folder in drive c then i tried to write comand fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2_ssh.img and pressed enter nothing occured and saying can't load mmcblk0p2_ssh.img
i tried several times
then i thinked that i can copy them manually in kindle drive through kindlediags usb device mode and i did and did N U Z x and nothing done and connection refused i had changed ip adress and did steps in silver18 guide
how can i overcome that please in steps iam doctor and not professional in technology and software
Why did you bother trying to connect with putty to diags SSH on the kindle if you were NOT able to flash the diags SSH image? You wasted our time.

Did you have the .img file in the current directory when you did the fastboot command? If not, you need to specify the full path to the .img file.

You CANNOT just say you followed all the steps in the guide, if one of those steps that you "followed" failed (such as flashing the diags ssh image). I am actually feeling rather annoyed right now, so before I say something that starts a flamewar, I will just stop right here.

EDIT: You cannot use diags SSH until AFTER you flash a diags partition image (mmcblk0p2_ssh.img) that contains files needed for SSH.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-08-2012 at 09:36 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #332
mony
mony began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Why did you bother trying to connect with putty to diags SSH on the kindle if you were NOT able to flash the diags SSH image? You wasted our time.

Did you have the .img file in the current directory when you did the fastboot command? If not, you need to specify the full path to the .img file.

You CANNOT just say you followed all the steps in the guide, if one of those steps that you "followed" failed (such as flashing the diags ssh image). I am actually feeling rather annoyed right now, so before I say something that starts a flamewar, I will just stop right here.

EDIT: You cannot use diags SSH until AFTER you flash a diags partition that contains files needed for SSH (i.e. mmcblk0p2_ssh.img).
sorry geekmaster but i thinked that flashing mean copying files to kindle device and did it manually

i said before iam surgeon and have little ideas on software and technology cause iam always busy
i have all img in drive c
how can specify path to img in cmd window? or fastbootmode
mony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #333
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
sorry geekmaster but i thinked that flashing mean copying files to kindle device and did it manually

i said before iam surgeon and have little ideas on software and technology cause iam always busy

how can specify path to img in cmd window? or fastbootmode
I do realize that you come from a different background and that you have different areas of expertise, but my emotions do not seem to understand that.

You must SUCCESSFULLY flash the mmcblk0p2_ssh.img file with fastboot before moving on to the next step in the guide. Go back and try that again. It said it could not find the file. Be sure that the file is in the same folder as fastboot.exe, or add the full path to the filename. It would be easiest just to copy the image file to the fastboot folder before running the fastboot command.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #334
mony

Quote:
I do realize that you come from a different background and that you have different areas of expertise, but my emotions do not seem to understand that.

You must SUCCESSFULLY flash the mmcblk0p2_ssh.img file with fastboot before moving on to the next step in the guide. Go back and try that again. It said it could not find the file. Be sure that the file is in the same folder as fastboot.exe, or add the full path to the filename. It would be easiest just to copy the image file to the fastboot folder before running the fastboot command.
i had put all img in fastboot folder and in drive c and started flashing said can't load mmcblk0p2_ssh.img
is there any method to specify path ? how? and why it is not loading and it is in the fastboot folder and drive c
Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #335
geekmaster

Quote:
i had put all img in fastboot folder and in drive c and started flashing said can't load mmcblk0p2_ssh.img
is there any method to specify path ? how? and why it is not loading and it is in the fastboot folder and drive c
You do not need to specify a path if the file is in your current directory. Are you doing this from a command prompt (all-black window with white text)? Did you navigate to the fastboot folder with the "cd" command?

Also, just to be sure, did you decompress the downloaded image file? You cannot just rename it. On windows, you can decompress it with 7-zip.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #336
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Did you decompress the downloaded image file? You cannot just rename it. On windows, you can decompress it with 7-zip.
Also WinRAR works!
You MUST have all images in C:\fastboot folder. And images MUST have the same name you type in CMD (note that if you rename adding .img, windows could have added twice the .img extension)
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #337
mony

Quote:
You do not need to specify a path if the file is in your current directory. Are you doing this from a command prompt (all-black window with white text)? Did you navigate to the fastboot folder with the "cd" command?

Also, just to be sure, did you decompress the downloaded image file? You cannot just rename it. On windows, you can decompress it with 7-zip.
thanks geek master and silver18 you are great man i did first one and flashed mmcblk0p2_ssh.img succesfuly
but the second img kernel kernel-kt-5.0.0.img cant be flashed because when i extract it become in another name kernel-5.0.0.img and saying writing then in the second row failed( file too large for partion ) as in image shown below then i had renamed the img to that present in comand and it worked as shown is it ok to continue ?????

Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #338
geekmaster

Quote:
thanks geek master and silver18 you are great man i did first one and flashed mmcblk0p2_ssh.img succesfuly
but the second img kernel kernel-kt-5.0.0.img cant be flashed because when i extract it become in another name kernel-5.0.0.img and saying writing then in the second row failed( file too large for partion ) as in image shown below then i had renamed the img to that present in comand and it worked as shown is it ok to continue ?????

It looks like it worked, so you can try booting to diags and see if SSH works now.

I do not understand why your screenshot shows the exact same command failing and then succeeding. Did you leave something out there?

Also, what is that "broken image" icon in your post?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #339
mony

it is ok shall i do USB device mode and wait a little: soon you’ll see a kindle drive in your
PC. Copy mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img ( 350 mb size ) into it, rename to mmcblk0p1.img and
safely remove USB drive or use another img i did it nothing done just kindle tree screen is it taking time i disconnected kindle and will start the steps again

Last edited by mony; 06-08-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #340
mony

then in the order rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS the following appeared

Old 06-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #341
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T JUMP TO NEXT STEP IF PREVIOUS ONE DIDN'T WORK!

You didn't managed to flash the main partition (dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K) because of the space between /mnt/us/ and mmcblk0p1.img
Then you erased /var/local partition TWICE.
Then you reset the boot counter without knowing if it was necessary (and it wasn't...)
Old 06-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #342
silver18
THE NOOB

New version of the guide (V3!!): it should be idiot-proof (not to be offensive!).

Download link: click to download

Direct link: click to view

Sorry about this long list of version, I'm trying to keep on all misunderstanding!

I added:
- new link to 5.1.0 kernel
- lots of new steps
Old 06-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #343
mony

i had removed space between /mnt/us/ and mmcblk0p1.img
Then the following screen appeared
[IMG]between /mnt/us/ and mmcblk0p1.img Then[/IMG]
Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #344
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
i had removed space between /mnt/us/ and mmcblk0p1.img
Then the following screen appeared
[IMG]between /mnt/us/ and mmcblk0p1.img Then[/IMG]

Can't see anything...
Old 06-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #345
geekmaster

You can ignore a "file not found" error when deleting a file that is already deleted.

In the newest post, you are in /root, which is okay because you fully specified the path to the files. But are we SURE that the image file is at that location and is spelled the same?

What is the output from "ls -al /mnt/us/mmc*"?

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-08-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Tags
debricking