Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Smile Knitting patterns on eReaders--- VERY COOL!

Thanks to Lilac who planted this seed in my brain in another thread, last night I took a knitting pattern that I had downloaded (it was a free pattern for a lace shawl in HTML form with pictures and charts) and converted it to LRF and loaded it on my Sony Reader.

It worked like a charm! I was so excited. When you increased the size of the font -- the size of the chart even increased!

I have squirreled off a BUNCH of free knitting patterns and my next project is to convert them and have them all run on a reader. Since I have 2 Sony's, a Cybook AND a Kindle 2 on the way (I earned it for free for participating in the ABNA reviews), I figure I can have a reader dedicated to knitting patterns to keep in my knitting bag -- so much better than trying to carry the hard-copy instructions along.

Thanks Lilac for the idea.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I can make a collection of free patterns for the reader and upload them into the books forum. Most of them are shawls, scarves, and afghans (since I had my children, I just like to go back and forth and back and forth without having to worry about all that cipherin' and shaping that an actual sweater requires).

Hope this helps any fellow knitters (or anyone that does crafts from a written pattern) out there.

Cheers...

Nancy
aka "purl4peace"
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
There's plenty of knitters around, just check the copyright issues before you post any.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
What a great idea!! I can put my kindle in my knitting bag-maybe I will get that sweater done! Right now, I am knitting something from Loop 'd Loop, and I usually just scan the pattern. But I can save it and move it to my kindle! Thanks Purl4peace and Lilac!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I have a friend that does that with her iPhone, too. I don't knit that often, but I use my Kindle all the time for my recipes. It's nice since I can search by ingredient.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Could you take a bunch non copyright patterns and make a knitting pattern book for here?
I don't think we have any knitting books.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Isn't it awesome? I made a small collection but Patricia pulled it for copyright concerns. I was going to look into seeing if the people who posted the patterns wouldn't mind us sharing them on MR, but I never got around to it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
This is pretty damn impression really, and I wouldn't have thought of it. I'm not a big knitter myself, but I have quite a few family members who are.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
4youreyes
Enthusiast
4youreyes doesn't litter4youreyes doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Great idea it would be so nice to have patterns all collected like that.It would be very useful and handy to have them in one place.
4youreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Putting knitting patterns on my Kindle was one of the first things I did. I've done it with mostly copyrighted patterns but since it's for my own use that's fine.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1

Happy kinitting, WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #11
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
The key is vintage patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Could you take a bunch non copyright patterns and make a knitting pattern book for here?
I've found several patterns that were published in the 50s in periodicals and I'm starting to compile them into a file which I'll upload. Right now I'm trying to get the font right so that it displays in a readable format.

I would love to get the knitting stitch libraries converted as well. To bad Barbara Walker isn't in the public domain!
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
Tessie
Tessie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tessie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tessie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs 505
Don't forget those of us who crochet. I have already put several of my favorite afghan patterns on my 505 and would love to have a pattern source for crochet patterns.

Tressie
Tessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I don't care about knitting, (can't knit, tried, stuck with crochet - now if you have a method to convert knit patterns to crochet I'll be interested) but - Phogg, but I WANT THAT NAMETAG!!!!

*non-reformed Princess Bride fanatic
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
I've found several patterns that were published in the 50s in periodicals and I'm starting to compile them into a file which I'll upload. Right now I'm trying to get the font right so that it displays in a readable format.
Just because the patterns are from the 50s does not mean that the copyright doesn't still apply. I'd be very leary of using anything from a publication like that. I think it would be better to get patterns from sources that specifically allow sharing, or get permission.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessie View Post
Don't forget those of us who crochet. I have already put several of my favorite afghan patterns on my 505 and would love to have a pattern source for crochet patterns.

Tressie
We've got two afghan's. One made for me by my Grandmother and one made for both of us by my Mom.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crafts, crochet, knitting, needlepoint