Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #91
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne2612 View Post
i've had my kobo mini for several months now. before that i used to have a sony prs-350. after using the kobo mini for a few weeks i sold the sony. i liked the sony but the kobo, whilst having the same size screen as the sony was a little bit smaller and easier to transport and hold. i also prefer the software on the kobo in comparison to the sony offering, and it's also much easier to side load books onto the kobo. i had nothing but problems with the sony desktop software and trying to sync my books across.
if the mini had a built in light like the glo it'd be a perfect machine.
My Sony T1 was my smallest and lightest, until I got the Mini. Now my T1 is listed on ebay. I am done with Sony products. I, too, prefer the software on the Kobo.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #92
wayne2612
Enthusiast
wayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 6, iPad 3, MacBook Pro with Retina
yes, the sony would have been much better had the software support being as good as the kobo is. the reader itself was good, the software was the big let down.
wayne2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #93
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
What glitches if any do you Kobo-mini users have?
you do know about Pocketbook 360, so you know what I was used to. My biggest issue is rendering of pdf files, which made the Mini useless for me in this respect. But there is a hack which at least gives me some basic functionality, and once you get over the idea that you can customise everything, I find the screen very crisp, I am now totally converted to touch, and for epub it has a lot of nice features, the best of which is the ability to preview/vie footnotes in pop-out mode, which is priceless when reading non-fiction.

I do have another small gripe with the rendering of figures in EPUB or KEPUB files (you must have an image alone on a page to be able to zoom it), and the only workaround is to meddle with the css code - as I do not think this can be done with Kepub, doing it with the sideloaded version of the epub means you cannot sync the notes. Again, this is a minor thing if you only have one device, as in that case syncing notes is only as a backup.

As everybody else has said, it is extremely portable, it has a great screen, and it does make up for its shortfall with other options (e.g. customizing the weight and sharpness of installed fonts), at least for me.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #94
cathermac
cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-650 and Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I'd love the kobo official cover, but for some obscure reason, although you can buy the kobo mini in Spain, you can't buy any kobo accessories. . I'll have to find a way to order from WHSmith and have it transported over here (but I'll have a friend do this, a carrier would be much too expensive for just a cover).
Why don't you try on ebay?
I have seen some sellers who send it to spain. At the end i didn't buy it but i saw it for 24 € or something like that with no expensive postage cost.
I bought a cheap chinese one. 6€ and send by airmail from hon kong to madrid in four days. So light and small.

Last edited by cathermac; 05-20-2013 at 09:01 AM.
cathermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #95
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathermac View Post
Why don't you try on ebay?
I have seen some sellers who send it to spain. At the end i didn't buy it but i saw it for 24 € or something like that with no expensive postage cost.
I bought a cheap chinese one. 6€ and send by airmail from hon kong to madrid in four days. So light and small.
Wanted to ask you this on lectores, but how nice to find you here too !!! Intenté comprarla en ebay, pero al final he cosido una funda (muy especial, claro ) con un resto de tela esta fin de semana. Voy a usarla un rato a ver si me gusta realmente o si al final necesito comprar una otra.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #96
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Wanted to ask you this on lectores, but how nice to find you here too !!! Intenté comprarla en ebay, pero al final he cosido una funda (muy especial, claro ) con un resto de tela esta fin de semana. Voy a usarla un rato a ver si me gusta realmente o si al final necesito comprar una otra.
Pictures, please!!!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #97
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Pictures, please!!!
j'ai un peu honte, c'est assez moche en fait...
Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #98
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Well, it's up to you. I'm just curious to see how a cover can be sewn (<- I don't like this word, it's so weird even in its infinitive form ).

Anyway, the Mini rocks (maybe not as much as the Pocketbook 360, but I've never got one so I can live just fine).
Now kobo, just put a light on it already and keep it under €100/$130. Please, pretty please
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #99
aceflor
Wizard

OK, I'll make pics later, need to run out to pick up the kids from school..
Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #100
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Now kobo, just put a light on it already and keep it under €100/$130. Please, pretty please
Yes! Please! That is the only bad thing about the Mini. No light!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #101
cathermac
cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathermac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Queremos fotos!
I tried with handmade too but after some bad projects and after find one seller who send it to spain, i decided left the experiments.
This is the one i bought:
http://www.ebay.es/itm/330904970318?...84.m1439.l2649

I hate the colour but it's cheap and confortable. I'll try to give some color i don't know how...

Last edited by cathermac; 05-20-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #102
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
aceflor, I use a hair-band (goma del pelo pequeña) for closing the grey sleep-cover (no way to find the red cover in ebay )
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #103
aceflor
Wizard

Vale, well, bon, also gut

here the pics. Please all, be indulgent...

So it's back, open and front, and the elastic band is fixed on the back and closes on the front. I decided against making a seam on the loose end in the inside because it would have been too thick, instead I used a special fabric glue and sew a fine thread afterwards to keep the layers firmly together. I love those striped fabric, I was originally looking for bayadère, but could not find any down here.
The Mini is kept secure with Velcro this time, as it is so tiny that elastic straps looked really weird.

As always, I read with the front cover folded to the back and kept there with the red elastic band, and my hand between front and back cover.

Maybe not super elegant, but very comfy indeed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	630.3 KB
ID:	106059   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	225
Size:	537.7 KB
ID:	106060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	473.6 KB
ID:	106061  
Old 05-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #104
cathermac

It's so cute! i like it.

I use the same terisa's trick for mi sony, but i have made it with a piece of elastic band that i bought in Pontejos.
Terisa, i found the pink one but 44 € + postage... so expensive.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #105
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
It's so cute! i like it.

I use the same terisa's trick for mi sony, but i have made it with a piece of elastic band that i bought in Pontejos.
You're more crafty than me. 6 hair bands - 5 €, I think.

Quote:
Terisa, i found the pink one but 44 € + postage... so expensive.
Where? I think I would give it a try (the post, at least).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote