Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
fyrogenesis
Undead
fyrogenesis began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia, Kindle 3, Dell Streak, Asus TF101, iPad 2 3g 64gb, Note
'Grey texts' and 'Typos' in Kindle ebooks

Hi Guys,

Recently i bought Steve King's The Wastelands and Wizard & Glass, but it seems both have problem. The former have some (not many, but quite annoying) typos* in it, and the latter has problem with grey text (the fonts are not dark enough like usual).

have you guys encountered this before? is it normal? i find it weird+badluck since this is the first time i actually bought anything from Amazon (i am from outside US, had to use the gift-card method); just bought 5 books but 2 of them got problem.

* i know the typos only existed in Kindle version since i also have the paperback copy of it.

p/s: i refrained myself to dig into customer reviews for the problem since i didn't want to accidentally glimpsed any spoiler of the story. Not even a bit.

fyrogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrogenesis View Post
Recently i bought Steve King's The Wastelands and Wizard & Glass, but it seems both have problem. The former have some (not many, but quite annoying) typos* in it, and the latter has problem with grey text (the fonts are not dark enough like usual).
The Wastelands came out in 1991. The publisher almost certainly created the ebook by scanning a paper copy and doing OCR/proofing to get an electronic text. Publishers just didn't keep electronic files back then, and would probably have great difficulty reading them if they had. Thus there are typos. Email the publisher, and they might fix them eventually.

Wizard and Glass came out in 1997. Ditto. The grey text might be a fault in the formatting, or it might be that this is a Topaz format ebook, and the 'grey text' is just a different font; Topaz books contain little images (glyphs) of all the symbols (letters, numbers, dashes, badly printed characters) in the original paper book from which the Topaz book was created.

Ebook quality is certainly variable. If it irritates you too much, ask for a refund. Emailing the publishers might also help, eventually.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
fyrogenesis
Undead
fyrogenesis began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia, Kindle 3, Dell Streak, Asus TF101, iPad 2 3g 64gb, Note
Thanks!
I will email Amazon CS first, and see how it goes.

fyrogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrogenesis View Post
Thanks!
I will email Amazon CS first, and see how it goes.

Email Kindle CS, not the generic Amazon CS.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote