Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
mibtp
Enthusiast
mibtp began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Cloud
Cool Apostrophe and " ( " Not Showing Up - Sigil

Hi, I have the latest Sigil and am a first time user. Have been following the user guide with great success.

But I have something unusual happening. Whenever I try to edit text and ADD AN APOSTROPHE, OR BRACKET, it doesn't show. There is a space where it should be, but I don't see it.

EXAMPLE: Don t

I also tried adding a (c) sign, but it would only allow the "c."

How do I get around this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

www.PatriceWilliamsMarks.com
mibtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibtp View Post
Hi, I have the latest Sigil and am a first time user. Have been following the user guide with great success.

But I have something unusual happening. Whenever I try to edit text and ADD AN APOSTROPHE, OR BRACKET, it doesn't show. There is a space where it should be, but I don't see it.

EXAMPLE: Don t

I also tried adding a (c) sign, but it would only allow the "c."

How do I get around this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

www.PatriceWilliamsMarks.com
1) are you using the special characters tool to add the © ?
2) Invisible characters are usually:
a) not supported by the current FONT
b) not included in the current encoding (codepage)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
mibtp
Enthusiast

I didn't know there was a special character's tool. I'll look how to use it in the documentation. Hopefully this will clear up the issue.

My imported html file converted great, except for the missing apostrophe's and " ( "

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
1) are you using the special characters tool to add the © ?
2) Invisible characters are usually:
a) not supported by the current FONT
b) not included in the current encoding (codepage)
Old 04-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
mibtp
Enthusiast

NOTE: Just tried special characters. There is no special characters for exclamation points (!) or " ( " ) which are the two that I really need.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I'm not able to duplicate your issue. You might try checking the viewing font and make sure it's large enough, try a different one. Also, ducks mentioned checking the proper encoding.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
mibtp
Enthusiast

Update

Hi, thanks for the advice. I did a work around. I changed don't to do not, or used the special characters to at the apostrophe. I italicized instead of using the " ( ) " to make it easier.

I did notice that if I found the symbol I needed, copied and pasted, then it showed up.

Oh well.

Finished the ebook, cleared up the 2 errors that FlightCrew found. Now having an issue with Amazon accepting the CLEAN/VALIDATED epub. But this is another issue that I've posed as a separate thread.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.
Patrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I'm not able to duplicate your issue. You might try checking the viewing font and make sure it's large enough, try a different one. Also, ducks mentioned checking the proper encoding.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the advice. I did a work around. I changed don't to do not, or used the special characters to at the apostrophe. I italicized instead of using the " ( ) " to make it easier.

I did notice that if I found the symbol I needed, copied and pasted, then it showed up.

Oh well.

Finished the ebook, cleared up the 2 errors that FlightCrew found. Now having an issue with Amazon accepting the CLEAN/VALIDATED epub. But this is another issue that I've posed as a separate thread.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.
Patrice
standard (straight) quotes, apostrophes and parenthesis are standard (on the US Keyboard) symbols. These should never give you issue.

Curly Quotes are in the special characters tool box (you can code them by hand in CV if you want) . These need to be used with a supporting font (not all includ these characters)
You have something horribly wrong in either your stylesheet and or coding.

If you want, post JUST your stylesheet (you will need to add dotTXT (styles.css.txt) to the file to be able to attach to a MR post). We might spot something.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I wonder if any keyboard macros, like autohotkey, are on. I believe this has caused conflicts before. Attached graphics tablets have given heartburn in Calibre and I believe a time or two in Sigil.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
mibtp
Enthusiast

How do I check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I wonder if any keyboard macros, like autohotkey, are on. I believe this has caused conflicts before. Attached graphics tablets have given heartburn in Calibre and I believe a time or two in Sigil.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
mibtp
Enthusiast

How do I get to the styles.css file? Clicking on the styles folder does nothing.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
standard (straight) quotes, apostrophes and parenthesis are standard (on the US Keyboard) symbols. These should never give you issue.

Curly Quotes are in the special characters tool box (you can code them by hand in CV if you want) . These need to be used with a supporting font (not all includ these characters)
You have something horribly wrong in either your stylesheet and or coding.

If you want, post JUST your stylesheet (you will need to add dotTXT (styles.css.txt) to the file to be able to attach to a MR post). We might spot something.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
How do I get to the styles.css file? Clicking on the styles folder does nothing.

Thanks.
No file in Styles (folder) = No stylesheet
You might have in document styles <styles> selectors </styles>
or in (per)line Styles <p style="blah blah"> <- not terrible for 1 time styling
Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You would generally know, if it is your own computer, if you had installed a program to give you "hotkeys" to do certain functions, such as copy things or insert certain markers. You'd also know if you had a drawing tablet attached to your computer, usually to the USB port.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
mibtp
Enthusiast

I didn't use hotkeys when typing my book. I used Nexus Writer Express; then exported the .doc file to html before opening in Sigil.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone

The .doc to .html conversion is frequently fraught with grief, depending on how complicated the styling was in the .doc file. It is possible to create a simple template for .doc documents which doesn't throw so much stuff into the html.

There is Toxaris' Word macro available which assists with this process if you have access to Word.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
mibtp
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Hi, no I don't. But next time I can save as a .txt doc maybe, then convert to html.

Thanks for your advice.
Patrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
The .doc to .html conversion is frequently fraught with grief, depending on how complicated the styling was in the .doc file. It is possible to create a simple template for .doc documents which doesn't throw so much stuff into the html.

There is Toxaris' Word macro available which assists with this process if you have access to Word.

Tags
bugs, glitch, sigil