Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Amazon Promotion-Money Back Guarantee, Keep the Kindle?

http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/20...n-kindle-free/

Quote:
Hesitant about ordering an Amazon Kindle? The online retailer is apparently making a very tempting proposition to some of its customers: go ahead and order a Kindle, and if you don’t like it, you’ll get your money back — and get to keep the device.
"some" of its customers. Anyone here?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Apparently they've sent out emails to select customers.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keepkindlefree.png
Views:	395
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	43974  
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Gee, I wish they would make that offer to me .

This is what Barnes & Noble should have done for select members of its membership. I'd like to think that with my buying habits at B&N I would have been given such an offer. As it is, I'm looking to buy a new device and I'm not even considering the nook. In fact, I'm considering not renewing my B&N membership.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
But if you return it, will you be shut out of Amazon, so the kindle is just a brick anyway?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
So, if you already own a kindle, and buy a lot of Kindle eBooks, they are offering to sell you another one and if you don't like the new one you get a refund and get to keep it?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
But if you return it, will you be shut out of Amazon, so the kindle is just a brick anyway?
That's what I was thinking. You won't be able to register it, or buy Kindle books for it, or use Whispernet, the browser, Wikipedia, etc... No support if it breaks.

It may not be as good a deal as one would think for normal folk. Those who are tech savvy could still make pretty good use of it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Sounds like...if you apply for a refund, they'll refund your money, but you keep the Kindle, and keep your Kindle account...since they hope you'll buy books anyways.

It sounds like a pretty targeted marketing push-so they must know their target market pretty well..that's why I'm curious if anyone here got the email, seems like a great place to start
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
So, if you already own a kindle, and buy a lot of Kindle eBooks, they are offering to sell you another one and if you don't like the new one you get a refund and get to keep it?
I would expect the invitations are to people who buy a lot of physical books from Amazon. It would make no sense to make the offer to people who allready have Kindles because they should know pretty well based on your buying habits how much you like the Kindle.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Maybe these are folks who buy a LOT of p-books. Amazon might figure these same people would buy enough e-books to make the offer worthwhile regardless of the number who don't pay.

edit -- ha ha, echo!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
What a deal! I have not turned on the whispernet since I received my Kindle this Christmas. I'm still reading all the books I bought when I had a SONY. I guess that's what having a SONY for 2 yrs does to one.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Well, you could change the sim-card and jailbreak the unit. That way it would not be a brick. Sort of anyway. Don't know what you would use it for.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That's what I was thinking. You won't be able to register it, or buy Kindle books for it, or use Whispernet, the browser, Wikipedia, etc... No support if it breaks.

It may not be as good a deal as one would think for normal folk. Those who are tech savvy could still make pretty good use of it.
Even without whispernet, a free e-ink mobi/prc, txt & PDF reader is a nifty device.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I would expect the invitations are to people who buy a lot of physical books from Amazon. It would make no sense to make the offer to people who allready have Kindles because they should know pretty well based on your buying habits how much you like the Kindle.
Thanks, that makes more sense to me now. I see the reference from DGma's sample invitation says "books", not "eBooks".
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I haven't gotten an invite, but the way I read it, its for folk who buy a lot of paper books.......

I believe they are trying to turn paper book readers in to ebook readers!

This seems like a 'win win' situation. If someone truly doesn't like it, they can return it........but very few, I think would do so. Ebook readers can be kinda.........addictive.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #15
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I haven't gotten an invite, but the way I read it, its for folk who buy a lot of paper books.......

I believe they are trying to turn paper book readers in to ebook readers!

This seems like a 'win win' situation. If someone truly doesn't like it, they can return it........but very few, I think would do so. Ebook readers can be kinda.........addictive.
The thing of it is if they do not like it they do not have to return it. They probably would not be able to buy books via whispernet but they should be able to sideload books all day long. But I would expect as you say that most people may become addicted to reading on the Kindle and decide to pay for it.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote