Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
reader_newb
reader_newb began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Some Iliad Newbie questions

Hi there,

have some newbie questions regarding my newly accquired iliad 2nd edition, with firmware 2.12:

1) everytime I enable the sound, the sound just disappeared after say few
minutes of use; I've to disable and then enable sound again in the device
manager, to get sound back. is this likely a problem with the firmware
2.12 or a problem with my iliad hardware ?

2) is there anyway to adjust the brightness of the display of a iliad 2nd
edition ?

3) is there anyway to switch between Portrait Mode and Landscape mode,
at will, for any content/application on a iliad 2nd edition ? I mean Dillo web
Browser can certainly use landscape mode.

4) I've a 2GB CF card, with Re-Flashing files (/images, config.txt); do I've to
reserve it only for Re-Flashing Purposes, Or can I install other applications
and maybe put a few hundred MBs of Mp3's on it ?

answers appreciated
reader_newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader_newb View Post
Hi there,

have some newbie questions regarding my newly accquired iliad 2nd edition, with firmware 2.12:

1) everytime I enable the sound, the sound just disappeared after say few
minutes of use; I've to disable and then enable sound again in the device
manager, to get sound back. is this likely a problem with the firmware
2.12 or a problem with my iliad hardware ?

2) is there anyway to adjust the brightness of the display of a iliad 2nd
edition ?

3) is there anyway to switch between Portrait Mode and Landscape mode,
at will, for any content/application on a iliad 2nd edition ? I mean Dillo web
Browser can certainly use landscape mode.

4) I've a 2GB CF card, with Re-Flashing files (/images, config.txt); do I've to
reserve it only for Re-Flashing Purposes, Or can I install other applications
and maybe put a few hundred MBs of Mp3's on it ?

answers appreciated
1) Have you installed one of the non-standard PDF readers? I seem to recall that one of them does some fancy power-saving thing that throttles back the processor speed, but shuts down sound in in the process. Others may have better answers.

2) No. You have to wait for the sun to come out!

3) Not as far as I know.

4) Yes you can use it for other stuff too. I've got all my books on the CF card, and it worked perfectly when I reflashed.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
reader_newb
reader_newb began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
1) No I had the sound problem before I installed any 3rd party application.

2) What do you mean by having to wait for the sun to come out ? There is no option to adjust the Brightness of the display of an iliad 2nd edition ?
reader_newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
2) What do you mean by having to wait for the sun to come out ? There is no option to adjust the Brightness of the display of an iliad 2nd edition ?
Take it into a dark room and you will see. There is no brightness to adjust, like there is no way to adjust the brightness of paper.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
1) No I had the sound problem before I installed any 3rd party application.

) Sorry, can't help further on the sound -- I always have mine switched off, so I wouldn't notice it misbehaving.

2) E-paper screens don't actually generate any light at all, just like paper doesn't. This is why they're so easy on the eye and can be read in direct sunlight. But it also means they can't be read in dim conditions, just like paper can't. If you imagine lots of tiny black dots on a white surface, which rearrange themselves when you turn the page, that's more or less how they work -- very energy-efficient, since the screen uses no power except on the page-turn. But there's no brightness to adjust, except whatever light is shining on the screen, be that sunlight or your bedside lamp.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think reader_newb is really asking about contrast, and the whiteness of the page. No, unfortunately what you see is what you get. The page isn't white, it's gray, and the contrast you see is as good as it will ever be. Viewing in brighter lighting situations (e.g. sunlight) can help quite a bit, though.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote