Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Night Shade Books (on the ropes)

Looks like Night Shade Books is close to going under if not already there.

Another indie publisher on the ropes: Night Shade Books plans an asset sale

Quote:
Night Shade editor-in-chief Jeremy Lassen tweeted: "My exciting news is that Night Shade is being bought by a larger publishing company! NS authors are recieving formal notification now."

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Seriously too bad. Liked a lot of Night Shades books.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Looks like Night Shade Books is close to going under if not already there.

Another indie publisher on the ropes: Night Shade Books plans an asset sale

bernie
Some more information.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Nightshade Books on the brink

They are looking for approval from their authors to sell off their catalog and name.
If they don't, they'll be forced into Chapter 7 Liquidation.
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...sset-sale.html

Quote:
After several years of financial struggles, the science fiction and fantasy publisher Night Shade Books is preparing to sell its assets to Skyhorse Publishing and Start Publishing. That is, if its authors will sign off on the deal.

The indie house sent a letter to agents and authors—excerpts of which have subsequently been posted online—in which it notes that, as an alternative to bankruptcy, a sale of assets to Skyhorse and Start would allow authors to get "paid everything they are due, as well as find a future home for their books.” The asset sale though, as the letter points out, hinges on a “sufficient number” of approvals from authors, who would also need to agree to “certain changes to their contracts.”
Quote:
...allowing the indie publisher to go bankrupt could be the worst result for authors. As the SFWA lays it out: “If [Night Shade files for Chapter 7], you may be unable to have your rights reverted. Your contracts could be purchased during the bankruptcy process by another publisher as an asset. That can mean purchase for pennies on the dollar. Bankruptcy could also mean that the contracts would remain in limbo during the bankruptcy proceedings.”
I've bought quite a few Nightshade titles via Webscriptions so this hits close to home. They have good authors.
Hard to tell if the new contracts will be good for the authors but years of Chapter 7 wranglish over the rights won't be good for anybody.

(Via: http://www.thepassivevoice.com/04/20...es-asset-sale/

Whoops! Missed the earlier similar thread.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-04-2013 at 10:57 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Author Mike Stackpole's detailed take on the NSB/Skyhorse proposed deal.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like Nightshade had a friendlier author contract than the new outfit proposes.
The built-in parallel to Harlequin (with the potential for similar problems) seems pretty scary at that...
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Too bad. I'm familiar with Night Shade via their author Will McIntosh. His book Soft Apocalype is excellent. I bought Hitchers as well, but haven't read it yet. I just hope the authors don't get f@%!ed on their rights as was outlined in the bankruptcy scenario. Hopefully the sale mentioned will indeed avert that awful fate.

P.S. In Will McIntosh's case, I just checked & his next book is being released this summer on Hachette. So he at least has a new publisher & has moved up to the big leagues.

Last edited by usuallee; 04-05-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: PS
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
And author Kameron Hurley's take on the situation (Language warning).

http://www.kameronhurley.com/dealno-...otally-stupid/
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And author Kameron Hurley's take on the situation (Language warning).

http://www.kameronhurley.com/dealno-...otally-stupid/

Wow, she is pissed. With good reason if even half of what she said is true. Her books look interesting so maybe I'll check them out.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

More from Stackpole:
http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=3306

Quote:
...they want a return on their investment. I get that. I respect it. I applaud it.

That same desire for a return on investment tells me that authors have to be very careful in analyzing what will make the best business sense for Skyhorse/Start. To me, the plan that makes the most sense is to squeeze the ebook market for all its worth, sell audio rights in bulk for quick cash and then cherry-pick the projects that have a high return potential going forward. Any property that doesn’t, I sell as literary scrap. I don’t know that this is what they are going to do. This is what I would do were I in charge. You know, to get my money back.
It seems the new contract shares a lot of features with the recently-decried Hydra contract and the legally-validated Harlequin contract. So a critical reading results in a lot of ways the authors can be potentially... mistreated...
Old 04-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
So a critical reading results in a lot of ways the authors can be potentially... mistreated...
As is apparent from the Harlequin case, it's is essential to read contracts assuming the worst.

Especially when they are not time-limited contracts (i.e. life of copyright).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Wow, she is pissed. With good reason if even half of what she said is true. Her books look interesting so maybe I'll check them out.
Indeed.
It seems the Nightshade terms were better than average but their delivery on those terms was... "less than perfect".

One point she makes is worth remembering:
Quote:
I’ve been asked by readers if they should keep buying my books from Night Shade. The answer is YES. If the deal goes through, I get paid that money. If it doesn’t, then those sales numbers will contribute to my sales record and help me find a new home with another project at a stronger publisher. Do please continue to support Night Shade’s authors. We love our readers and fans, and we wouldn’t have survived this without you.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
As is apparent from the Harlequin case, it's is essential to read contracts assuming the worst.

Especially when they are not time-limited contracts (i.e. life of copyright).
Essentially you need to *expect* the worst possible interpretation of the terms. And then expect them not to be honored anyway.

I'm reminded of the reports from the days of the pulp magazines when there were publishers that paid upon acceptance, publishers that paid upon printing, and publishers that paid upon litigation.

Given that these horror contracts are coming from both the smaller publishers as well as the BPHs, it looks like they are simply the new normal. Hail Hydra!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Yeah, it's an ugly mess - and Mike Stackpole lays out the details here.

Real pity because NSB published some really good books.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Bare-bones link roundup; I'm debating if it's worth continuing to collect links, especially since several of the newer ones are "there's this Night Shade thing going on; have some links to what other people are saying about it."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote