Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #76
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Yes, he was. As I figured out what he enjoyed, he had me buy all his books. He said that he never read much until he married me, so I guess reading is contagious.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #77
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I can think of worse things to catch than the reading bug. Why the past tense though?
He died 10 years ago. I still catch myself looking for books for him.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #78
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
He died 10 years ago. I still catch myself looking for books for him.
so sorry condolences. It's funny how we catch ourselves doing things like that.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #79
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
so sorry condolences. It's funny how we catch ourselves doing things like that.
Indeed. My condolences as well. My dad has been gone since 1996 and I'm sure my mom still catches herself thinking that she has to tell my dad about something on occasion.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #80
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
You're absolutely right, and since I buy ebooks almost exclusively now, I shouldn't have even mentioned the P word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
and epublishing too.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #81
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I was created as a sleeper-agent and placed on this planet by my programmers to read anything and everything available—to glean everything I could about your culture through its literature. I've done my best, and now I've been recently "awakened." I would be lying if I said I'm not at all concerned with the pending data dump. I think I will miss Encyclopedia Brown the most.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #82
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Pics or it didn't happen.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #83
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Indeed. My condolences as well. My dad has been gone since 1996 and I'm sure my mom still catches herself thinking that she has to tell my dad about something on occasion.
My condolences also. My father died December 28, 2002 and I still find myself looking over at his chair to ask a question when visiting my mother.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #84
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
I remember watching my cousin read in front of the extended family and how proud everyone was. She is about 6months my junior so I felt quite envious.
Soon after I was reading everything, signs if I recall being the most interesting.
Then in third grade I started doing the accelerated reader program. It soon became a competition between me and my friend/nemisis. We made a spectacle of ourselves out reading the program. Our teacher was kind enough to custom make more tests so we could press forward.
In middle and high school I occasionally read a high brow book,from which I would retain nothing. This was just to remind everyone how much smarter I was than they were, I don't think anyone noticed.
I read for a different purpose now (I hope) but in short I began reading for less than admirable reasons.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #85
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I was created as a sleeper-agent and placed on this planet by my programmers to read anything and everything available—to glean everything I could about your culture through its literature. I've done my best, and now I've been recently "awakened." I would be lying if I said I'm not at all concerned with the pending data dump. I think I will miss Encyclopedia Brown the most.
Ha! Your alien masters neglected to fully compensate for the time delay introduced by the (finite) speed of light! "Reading" would have taught you about our culture a hundred years ago -- but if you aren't picking up cable and Youtube your mastery of our culture is woefully lacking!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #86
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
Smile

I was lucky to have a father who read extensively, and our house was full of books. Dad would take us to the library and we would choose a book for him to read to us every night. There was one book in particular, translated from German, that we loved and it was on almost permanent loan. I think Dad could recite it from memory by the time we were able to read it ourselves. After many years of searching, I finally found a copy in a second hand bookshop in New Zealand and had it shipped over for my sister's 50th birthday.

i can't really remember a time I didn't read once I had mastered the art. I was the proverbial kid reading by torchlight under the covers. I read everything, including cereal boxes at breakfast, and my parents encouraged me to look things up in dictionaries and encyclopaedias. This usually meant several hours of reading as each entry led me to something else of interest. I count myself very fortunate to have had father who encouraged me to expand my interest in reading and later history, geography, art and so on. My father died in 1986 and I still miss him. I've just bought Barbara W Tuchman's book, The Guns of August, which was the last book he was reading before he died and I will be thinking of him as I read it and thanking him for the encouragement he gave me to develop my love of learning. Dad.
deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #87
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I remember the Scholastic book sale flyers. My parents always gave me money to buy books through those and I always picked up a few titles. I also remember being excited about the read-a-thons to raise money we had in elementary school.

Those were awesome, I always looked forward to the Scholastic flyers. Unfortunately a few clicks on Amazon doesn't have the same magic .
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #88
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for the condolences. We all have people who live on in our hearts and dreams even though their chair is empty.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #89
GadgetMan
Banned
GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iPads, Kobo, Nexus 7 and many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
My mom taught me how to read. I was about 3 years old. For as long as I can remember I've read to escape the reality around me. Still do to this day and I don't think that will ever change for me.
Ditto.. I read to relax.. some people play Golf etc.. but I read.. I remember taking a Evelyn Wood speed reading course in 1970.. changed my reading habits and my financial success.. you gotta do it..
DG
GadgetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #90
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
My parents were (and are) voracious readers, so as a child I was always exposed to their love of reading and viewed it as something you always do when you don't have to do anything else. My dad was also a fantastic storyteller, and would regale us with bathtime stories that included your basic fairy tales but also a slew of Bre'r Rabbit stories, which we couldn't get enough of.

When I was three, my favorite book was "Bears in the Night." I had my parents read it to me so often that I was able to match the words to the story, and then I recognized those words in other stories. (I can still recite it nearly verbatim!) My parents would also help me sound out unfamiliar words, and I'm sure their professional backgrounds (writing instructor and elementary school principal) gave me a big advantage. I started kindergarten when I was four (late birthday) and spent as much time as possible in the "reading center." My dad was the principal of the school (it was before kindergarten was mandatory and my school didn't have one) and he checked so many books out for me that the school librarian admonished him for "pushing me" too hard. But they never, ever pushed.

I still have vivid memories of scouring the library shelves in elementary school, looking for anything interesting that I hadn't already read. What I wouldn't give to have that much time to read today!
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote