Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
weltonsfancy
Enthusiast
weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet
My mother used to read to us when we were little. Had several brothers and sisters and I think she used it to keep us quiet. mmm that was before TV. Guess I learned the love of reading from that. My father used to read also. I read many a western because that was what was around.
weltonsfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
My mom taught me how to read. I was about 3 years old. For as long as I can remember I've read to escape the reality around me. Still do to this day and I don't think that will ever change for me.
I have a similar story to you Pookeysgirl. My mom read to me when I was very little and when I was about 3 yrs old she took me to the library and got me a library card. I still couldn't really read at that age but I was able to pick out what I wanted her to read to me. I drove her crazy with Dr. Seuss books for a while after that.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #18
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
My mother once said she thought I must've been born with a book in my hands. Only reader in the family, but time outs never affected me as I always had a book hidden somewhere in my room.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
My sister is six or seven years older than me, and is an elemental force of reading. My earliest memories are of her reading Trixie Beldon books to me.

I consider this to be the biggest favor anybody has ever done me. I cannot imagine what it's like to not read.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #20
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I'm another one who can't remember ever not reading. I don't think either of my parents really ever read to me, although they were big readers. My house was always full of books--on shelves, on tables, stacked in piles on the floor...they were just a part of life. I do remember that on my second day of Kindergarten the teacher was reading a book to us, and skipped some words on a page. I corrected her, and read the page back to her as it should have been read. That was my last day in Kindergarten--my parents were called, and I was moved into first grade the next day. Now schools recommend a child for special education if they can't at least recognize a few words in Kindergarten...how far we've come in 40 years!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I was 4 years old when we moved to Philly. The corner grocery had a box of cover-free used comic books. I had a choice of spending my candy money on comics or bubble gum. The comics lasted longer. Some of the stories are still with me. It helped that a lot of them were LEGION of SUPER-Heroes from the Edmund Hamilton and Otto Binder era.

Once I got hooked, I read everything I got close to. Fiction, non-fiction, references, news. World Almanacs (cover to cover), encyclopedias, and old books wherever I found them. Not always at the library. One of the neighborhood kids had old LONE RANGER books (text, not comics) at which point I caught on: TV and movies came from books. From there it was just a jump to Jules Verne and other adventure classics.

By the time I was 14 I discovered the Science Fiction Book club and got a quick education in the genre (courtesy of the Science Fiction Hall of fame Volume 1, Foundation Trilogy, and Stranger in a Strange land) followed by Princess Of Mars and the entire ERB paperback catalog from ACE and Ballantine. Some summers I racked up two books in one day.

Looking back, I was just lucky to run into the right material at the right age.

Anyway, in my case at least I know the afinity is genetic and comes from both sides of the family. When I first visited a paternal uncle I'd never met (in my 20's) I found a loaded bookshelf full of books I was familiar with. My siblings read, my mother reads non-stop, and most of my cousins. Doesn't mean everybody reads SF but the smarter ones do.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-09-2013 at 05:10 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #22
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
My father was a big reader, and I guess I got the habit from him. Loved to read as a child and it has stuck with me.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Great topic.

I don't really remember, myself. Apparently I always liked to be read to, was very keen to be able to read myself, and was most disgusted after my first day at school (kindergarten?) that I couldn't read yet.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
In the generation before the Internet, even before video games, when there were only two TV stations without cable, the public library offered a world of choices. I loved trips to the library and once I was old enough I spent whole days there. I'm surprised kids become readers today.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
Mystweaver
Nameless Being

My mother attests to having read Little Golden books to me every day from the day that she took me home from hospital until the day that I came home from my first day of preschool / pre-k, and she decided that I was now going to read to her.

My mother actively encouraged the habit all through my childhood, and would take me to the library twice a week until we moved to a remote location without an accessible library - of course, we moved before I started secondary college (grades 7 - 12), so she was encouraging me to read as much as I could in my school's library. I recall finishing the fiction section in year 10.

So my mother was definitive the driving force behind my desire to read, as she was reading to me long before I could comprehend words as anything other than random sound. She still encourages the habit, buying me Amazon, Book Depository and Booktopia gift cards at any gifting occasion - which I'm all too happy to encourage!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #26
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
My mother once said she thought I must've been born with a book in my hands. ...
Boy, If it was a hardback, that musta hurt.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #27
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Grew up on a farm, rural area, limited tv (one station) - mother was a reader -- that's probably what started it, I also figured it was my way out of that life. I read the Childrens World Book Encyclopedias and the Dictionary. Also we had a lot of Readers Digest Condensed Books. At some point pre-teen I came across a copy (apparently a purchase by my mother) of Pellucidar by Edgar Rice Burroughs with a half-naked babe on the cover and WOW!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pellucidar%20series.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	99135  

Last edited by kennyc; 01-09-2013 at 05:58 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #28
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I grew up a reader. It was my mom (single parent) that encouraged me. Heck, I remember reading the Dick & Jane books in school. My mother subscribed me to The Weekly Reader. Growing up in Philadelphia I had access to a great library system and would take 5 or 6 books out at a time and read them all within a week or two and go get some more.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #29
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Gosh - I can't ever remember not reading. I taught myself to read before kindergarten, and was the classic "read under the sheets with a flashlight" kid. I wanted to be anywhere but where I was (horrible childhood, lousy family, etc.) Reading probably saved my life - reading about different people, lives, situations gave me hope of finding a better personal situation than the one I was in.

Our small town had a bookmobile - and a very kind librarian - who allowed me into the adult section long before I could reach the shelves. And there was a second grade teacher (Miss Kettner) who personally encouraged me to read. My budget always provided for books before food. The only expenditure I placed above books occurred when cats moved in with me: pet needs > books > food. I carry books everywhere.

And now I can't ever imagine not reading. E-readers allow me NEVER to run out of reading material.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 01-09-2013 at 06:33 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #30
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Grew up on a farm, rural area, limited tv (one station) - mother was a reader -- that's probably what started it, I also figured it was my way out of that life. I read the Childrens World Book Encyclopedias and the Dictionary. Also we had a lot of Readers Digest Condensed Books. At some point pre-teen I came across a copy (apparently a purchase by my mother) of Pellucidar by Edgar Rice Burroughs with a half-naked babe on the cover and WOW!
You ever see the Frazetta interior art for the Book club edition of Princess of Mars? There's *two* reasons I tracked down all the Burroughs books.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote