Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
chemnerd
chemnerd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Question Help: How to remove ads from kindle paperwhite?

I just got a kindle paperwhite from amazon, and I wonder how I can remove the ads of my kindle device. Can anyone please help me with it?
chemnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
1. Locate your Kindle device in the Manage Your Devices section of Manage Your Kindle and click the plus icon to display more information.

2. In the Special Offers column, click Edit and follow the instructions to unsubscribe from Special Offers. You'll see the amount of the one-time payment before you confirm.

3. Turn wireless on, and the next time you connect your Kindle device wirelessly, it will complete the process of unsubscribing your device from Special Offers.

You'll receive an e-mail notification that will confirm your payment for unsubscribing from Special Offers.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...90#unsubscribe
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
For me there is no option to 'edit' in the Special Offers column. (see attachment)
What am I doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paperwhite-special-offers.png
Views:	3690
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	95112  
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
It should look like this.

You might want to try logging out/in. If this doesn't work, your best bet is to contact Amazon CS.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Weird. It's still not there.
(I've tried two computers, three browsers and two different OSes.)

It doesn't bother me overly though. While I'd like to get rid of the ads, it's not overly urgent. I just hope that Amazon will fix it sometime...
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post

It doesn't bother me overly though. While I'd like to get rid of the ads, it's not overly urgent. I just hope that Amazon will fix it sometime...
I'd give kindle CS a call, I'm sure they can help you.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Popup
Zealot

Yes, but last time I tried to contact them it took half a day... (I'm not in the US, so the whole 'call me' thing doesn't work. And going through the whole phone tree rigmarole on an international line isn't fun.)

And I think I'll keep the ads for a bit longer to see how much they annoy me.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
tono1020
Connoisseur
tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook (Gen3, Opus), K3, K4NT, PW, PW2, KV
Quote:

It's because you live outside US and bought Kindle second hand. Kindle with ads can be bought only for US citizens.
I had same issue with Kindle NT. I wrote mail to Amazon Support and they "manually" remove ads from my device and charge my account for prize difference to non-ads version.

Last edited by tono1020; 10-29-2012 at 11:12 AM.
tono1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Popup
Zealot

I bought it through a 'packet forwarder', so the address they have is a US one.

On the other hand, they have successfully deduced that I'm in Switzerland, for other purposes, so there might be something to your theory. I'll stick to the ads for now and see how much they bother me. But it's good to know that there's an option to get rid of them.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
tono1020
Connoisseur
tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook (Gen3, Opus), K3, K4NT, PW, PW2, KV
Quote:
I bought it through a 'packet forwarder', so the address they have is a US one.

On the other hand, they have successfully deduced that I'm in Switzerland, for other purposes, so there might be something to your theory. I'll stick to the ads for now and see how much they bother me. But it's good to know that there's an option to get rid of them.
This Kindle is bought as "Special Offers" version and delivered to US address. If you were US resident then you would see "Edit" link in "Special Offers" column in Manage your device page. But since your address is outside US they don't show that link for your login. They didn't think of situation like that, obviously.
Believe me, this is the reason. I was also flabbergasted last year, because I had exactly the same problem.

Last edited by tono1020; 10-29-2012 at 11:36 AM.
tono1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
Popup
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tono1020 View Post
This Kindle is bought as "Special Offers" version and delivered to US address. If you were US resident then you would see "Subscribed" column in Manage your device page. But since your address is outside US they don't show that column with your login.
But they do show that column! (Look at the screenshot above!) It's just the 'edit' option that's missing.

But I agree. The problem is probably related to my 'international' status.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Popup is your PW registered to a non-US account? If so, this is why you don't have the option to remove the special offers.

Only US accounts can turn ads on/off.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Popup
Zealot

I honestly thought that it was a 'US' account, as I bought it with a US delivery address. (And my previous Kindle was bought in a US highstreet shop) But maybe the fact that I have a Swiss credit card is enough to qualify as a 'furriner'.

(I've had my Amazon account for a long time, and the first address I registered was Swedish (I think) (or maybe French?), so it shouldn't be that which counts.)
Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
JoHunt
I am what I am

A US account requires funding by a credit card which is billed to a US address (or gift card).

You can have many delivery addresses but the country of your account is determined by your billing address.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If your IP address is causing a problem, you can change it here:

http://www.hide-my-ip.com/

Be forewarned that some countries make it illegal to use that site. Check your local laws. I believe Germany bans it for German citizens. So far as I know the US allows it.

Amazon, as well, may not allow its use to avoid their rules.

You could also send your PW back to the packet forwarder to cancel the Special Offers from a US address.

All that said, Special Offers are not really that bad. Maybe the best course is just leave them as is. They do not interfere with reading eBooks.

PW's were originally sold with and without Special Offers. Maybe have your packet forwarder return it to Amazon for a refund and get the proper unit from the start. I paid a premium for my PW without Special Offers and did not have to use the Amazon web site to remove them.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-29-2012 at 03:11 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote