Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #121
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
Thank you for the reply. Last question. Is the receiver good at staying locked for most locations without an external antenna ? If there's a connector for one of course.
I can't answer for the Nexus, but the recievers in the ones I have used (Acer A100, Acer A500, Galaxy Note) are good. Much better than the cheap GPS unit I used before. All three got a lock and kept it while on sitting on the passenger seat (metal roof in the way), while the GPS unit HAD to be in the very front of the windshield.

One thing I can't seem to determine is if the Nexus os Assisted GPS or not. If it is, you can get a lock much quicker if you use an app like GPS Status to download the satalite locations while on WiFi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think you have to do the routing while online but after that it should be OK to be offline.
There are several GPS navigation apps available that store the maps on the tablet and do routing off line, but the maps can be large. Copilot is free (now, used to be pay). Sygic
is a 14 day trial, in app purchase of license.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #122
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
There are several GPS navigation apps available that store the maps on the tablet and do routing off line, but the maps can be large. Copilot is free (now, used to be pay). Sygic
is a 14 day trial, in app purchase of license.
I use Sygic, it is very good, though I prefer Google Maps when available.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #123
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
I bought Copilot for the route editing ( you can just drag the route), but later found some of the features didn't work in Canada. Wish I had gone with Sygic, the maps seem better. Oh well, live and learn...
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #124
Kappafun
Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600, Kobo Vox
I've had my 16GB Nexus 7 for a week now and as a reader it is great. I use the Kobo app mostly (I previously had a Kobo Vox) and have used Aldiko and the Google Reader. I previously have used the Sony PRS-600 reader. My wife has an iPad 2.

As a tablet the processor speed and graphics performance are wonderful. Compared to the Kobo Vox the touch screen is much better, but I don't know if it an issue with the touch screen or performance related. The quad-core processor seems to be great. I've downloaded some apps and they all seem to work fine (I also have an Android phone).
Kappafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #125
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
I bought Copilot for the route editing ( you can just drag the route), but later found some of the features didn't work in Canada. Wish I had gone with Sygic, the maps seem better. Oh well, live and learn...
I have both Sygic and Navigon US & Canada, and if you're going to pay for one, the Navigon app has much better (accurate) maps and features. It also allows you to load only the maps for the states/provinces that you need so that you don't have the whole continent on your tablet (unless that's what you want ).
Navigon is owned by Garmin. I also have an Android phone so it's on both the tablet and the phone...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 08-10-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #126
duckfeet
duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nexus 7
I pre-ordered, and got my 16gb nexus7 online from Google play a few weeks ago. I really like and the price was right. I have been using it for all kinds of things And it has pretty much replaced my kindle as my reader.
duckfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #127
unifaerie
Enthusiast
unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kindle4, Nexus 7 Tablet
Question DFX Audio Enhancer?

I am sure I may have seen some suggestions for DFX audio enhancers but cannot recall where?

Any suggestions for Nexus 7 please?

Also, I live in Canada so cannot use Amazon App Store.

Last edited by unifaerie; 08-23-2012 at 11:44 PM.
unifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #128
Kappafun
Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600, Kobo Vox
I've had mine for about a 2 weeks and I love it. It matches my wife's iPad in every way.
Kappafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #129
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Taking about the Nexus... does somebody know of a battery indicator (number) for the tablet?
This will display a number in the notification bar and has the option for customizable widgets as well:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...J5LmZyZWUiXQ..
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #130
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
This will display a number in the notification bar and has the option for customizable widgets as well:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...J5LmZyZWUiXQ..
Thank you!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #131
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Right now for my reading Moon+ is the best book reader and all the book stores with their apps fall short. What's worse its all the automated push forces you to use their apps. I'd like to see a standard where the stores open their API and allow for any reader app to replace their reader client.
X

How do I bookmark on Moon reader Pro? Do we have the visual option of a bookmark on top right of the page, like Kindle of iPad ?

I see an option about creating bookmarks via settings, but creates no visual reminder of it.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #132
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
X

How do I bookmark on Moon reader Pro? Do we have the visual option of a bookmark on top right of the page, like Kindle of iPad ?

I see an option about creating bookmarks via settings, but creates no visual reminder of it.
Moon doesn't create the standard 'rabbit ear fold' bookmark that most eReaders do, instead it's adopted a more convoluted way to bookmark. I think the primary reason for this is that when Moon was first created it did not have the concept of pages, it was just one huge web page, per chapter.

I don't use their bookmarks, I use the annotation system. I just press and hold on a word. I leave a note with the text 'bm'. It leaves a highlighted word with a note so it's visible.

However in order to use Moons bookmarks tap on the screen. A tool bar will be displayed. Select the book icon. A dialog will pop up and in the bottom of that page is a button to add a bookmark.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #133
jocampo
Layback feline

Ohh, I see, that's interesting.

Yesterday i was like crazy, trying to find a way and put that visual marker there, hahahaha ...

Still, i like it. I reconfigure Calibre on my Mac Mini, which is on all the time, and grab, my non sql book collection from there.

For SQL books or IT books, I'm still using my iPad and Kindle app.

Let's see what Amazon has to offer this year in terms of eink and 10 inches readers.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #134
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
A few questions. I received my Nexus 7 and so far so good. New at this.
How do you delete things such as a book or movie ? Windows person, where you go to folders and trash. Can that be done?
Anyone here try Firefox as a browser? I see it's available and wonder if it runs well. I use it on my laptop and like it.
Last. The user guide is ok but is there a better way of getting to know this device other than hitting "buttons"?
So far I really like my Nexus, but am having some difficulty navigating around.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #135
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
A few questions. I received my Nexus 7 and so far so good. New at this.
How do you delete things such as a book or movie ? Windows person, where you go to folders and trash. Can that be done?
Anyone here try Firefox as a browser? I see it's available and wonder if it runs well. I use it on my laptop and like it.
Last. The user guide is ok but is there a better way of getting to know this device other than hitting "buttons"?
So far I really like my Nexus, but am having some difficulty navigating around.
Google it :-) ... its a tablet. Use the Google search field that is at the top of each page .

The Google search will search the whole tablet for you. You can also check the Market for Astro File Manager.

In terms of manual, pretty much that's all your need, honestly. Using the tablet is the best way to learn about it. Just do not think as Windows user, or you'll get frustrated .