Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 03:29 AM   #1
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
St. Louis (Metro) High School goes tablet only

http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-jou...33bb95055.html

Quote:
Paper and pencils appear to be on their way out at Grandview High.

Following a pilot project where 20 electronic tablets were distributed by the district to high school students and staff in January, the Grandview Board of Education voted Thursday to get the devices for every high school student and teacher.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I see they went after quality and got one of those cheap Chinese knockoffs. Think Apple will place a bid? ..LOL
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
How are kids supposed to hide comic books behind those?
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Who buys Johnny a new one when he drops and breaks it and his parents can't afford to replace it?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Hmm, very interesting. I can recall my high school days of lugging around a napack full of hardcover textbooks weghing approximatly 1,000 pounds total, I had a whole lot of big books to lug around. I can imagine what it would be like to have all of those books on one tablet, one five ounce tablet vs 1,000 pounds of texts hmm, which one would I rather cart around with me, I wonder. The only troubble that I can see is making sure that the kids have sufficent IT support at home to handle the tablet, my son does.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Took the subway to HS via Manhattan across the Bronx. Hoped one of our group would get a seat and then pile the books up to their eyeballs. Backpacks weren't invented then and certainly no tablet computers.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
RVS78
Letter Puncher
RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
Android for students. Sounds good in theory but in practice...only time will tell. I'm just curious as to how these tablets will be rigged. Would it come preloaded with the textbooks/class-related apps? I'm all for integrating technology, will be interesting to see how this pans out. eTexbooks still cost money, plus I doubt the device will last 4 years.

So the last day of school kids'll be saying "No more tablets, no more Nooks, No more teachers dirty looks." =)
RVS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Who buys Johnny a new one when he drops and breaks it and his parents can't afford to replace it?
Who buys a new textbook when he drops it in the mud and it's unreadable, or loses it?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Who buys a new textbook when he drops it in the mud and it's unreadable, or loses it?
Books are cheaper than tablets.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #10
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
How are kids supposed to hide comic books behind those?
You hide your comic books ON it.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Now, how many kids will be playing Angry Birds instead of their math work in class?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Now, how many kids will be playing Angry Birds instead of their math work in class?
But Angry Birds is math. It's applied physics.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
RVS78
Letter Puncher
RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
I vote for Raging Thunder App for Driver's Ed. class.
RVS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
I hate to be the one that keeps bringing up the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) whenever this topic comes forward because it makes me sound like I am opposed to etextbooks, which I definitely am not. I think ereaders and etextbooks will be a huge boon to education. However, I spent the last 7-10 years of my working life (I retired in 2007) specializing in upgrading commercial and school buildings to comply with the ADA rules. I know firsthand how intrusive and inflexible ADA can be.

I cannot help but wonder how long it will take before some group challenges this decision in court -- maybe never, but I wouldn't hold by breath. There have been continuing objections to ereaders as required devices. As late as last month an advocacy group objected to an agreement between Texas A&M University and Barnes & Noble that would have had B&N supplying textbooks and course materials through their NookStudy program. http://www.coataccess.org/node/9967

While the Dept. of Education, Office of Civil Rights, has not retreated from their "Dear Colleague" letter of June, 2010, which addressed the ADA law, the inequities of ereaders in regards to disabled students, and points of concern when considering ereaders in classrooms, ( http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/lis...-20100629.html ) they are trying to address the issue. In Oct, 2010, a collaborative program operating thru the University of Georgia received a 1.1 million dollar grant to study integrating ereaders into classrooms. ( http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/u-...-disabilities/ )

So far it seems that most complaints, and the Dept. of Education's responses, have centered on university level programs, but I don't see how high schools can hope to escape scrutiny from advocacy groups, especially when the devices will be, for all intents and purposes, required and not optional accessories to their programs. I cannot see ereaders becoming mainstream in American schools until all manufacturers selling to this market in the U.S. conform to ADA requirements. Until then every school that tries to implement ereaders into their classrooms will leave themselves wide open for an ADA lawsuit.

For an interesting article from a professional librarians viewpoint, check this link:
http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/com..._lucy.html.csp
In the comments following this article are links to how these problems are being addressed in the UK.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote