Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
4Foot
4Foot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Bluetooth syncing with Kobo and desktop

As near as I can tell from searching these forums my new Kobo has bluetooth capabilities but it is only to be used for 'some' smartphones and we cannot sync with our desktop computers.

If this is correct, it seems rather unnecessarily limiting. Can anyone shed light on this subject and advise if this is just a teething problem or a designed in dumbing down of the Kobo unit.

Thanks

4Foot
4Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I think at the moment the bluetooth sync feature is limited to the Blackberry but they wanted to implement it on all their platforms.

Considering how hard they must be working on sorting out other firmware issues etc I think this may have been pushed back a bit further.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
4Foot
4Foot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
I think at the moment the bluetooth sync feature is limited to the Blackberry but they wanted to implement it on all their platforms.

Considering how hard they must be working on sorting out other firmware issues etc I think this may have been pushed back a bit further.

Thank you JP, good point. I will try to exercise a little patience.

4Foot
4Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually; I did as an experiment and sent an ePub from my PC to the Kobo via Bluetooth.

Transfer worked great, but the Kobo did not do a rescan to detect the new file. However, doing a plug in to the PC followed by an eject (or adding an SD card) did cause a rescan to happen.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
I'm finding that when I power off my Kobo then power it back on it does the scan for new files, you could try that if you're not near a usb cable.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
I'm finding that when I power off my Kobo then power it back on it does the scan for new files, you could try that if you're not near a usb cable.
Hmmmm - that didn't work for me, but I did find that I could pair with my IPAQ 210 PDA and download files to the Kobo with a little careful timing of the Bluetooth connections.

I haven't been able to get it to work the other way (sending from Kobo to PDA) with EPUB or PDF files as yet, as though I can see the Kobo file structure, the connection seems to close if I try and GET a folder from the Kobo.

I had the same trouble when I tried to get a folder from the Kobo to my PC as well.

Still - better than nothing!

Cheers
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Will it work with ipad?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Being as the new kobo doesn't even have Bluetooth, I strongly suspect that feature has been abandoned.

Also, the iPhone & iPad don't support Bluetooth file transfer so the only platform left with a kobo desktop is Android.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote