Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
promo
promo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
SD card reader problem

I recently bought Cybook Gen3, and I have a problem with the SD reader in it. I tested with different SD cards from different manufacturers (Sandisk, Kingston) and different sizes (2 GB, 256 MB) but no success.

I went through the suggestions in the forum but I could not get the thing working.

The main thing is the possibility of upgrading the firmware, otherwise the memory is sufficient.

FW: 1.1 (build 775)

Any suggestions?
promo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Previously people have pushe it in the wrong way (it should be "upside down") and not pushed it in all the way. Some people have broken the slot by trying to push it in the wrong way. There should not be much resistance.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
promo

The card is properly inserted, and it falls in correctly, and it is locked in the position.

When looking inside the slot, all the pins seem to be in place.

I have it difficult to believe that the slot is damaged, when a card is inserted it is sitting firmly, and does not move in any direction. The connector itself is mechanically designed for ~10.000 insertions, and should be fixed either to PCB and/or the chassis.

Have you seen any damages like that?

Thanks for the reply
Old 09-20-2008, 04:20 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is the problem that the card is simply not being recognised by the Gen3? ie you don't get an "SD" symbol in the lower right of the library screen?

Have you tried reformatting the card as FAT32 on your desktop PC?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
promo

Yes the card is not recognized at all, no icon can be visible in the library, I only can see the green led flashing when removing SD card from the Cybook.

I tried all different formats, by formatting card in the PC (FAT with standard block size, FAT32 with standard block size), no change.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
Gerry
Enthusiast
Gerry began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
SD Card not "clicking" into place

I just got a brand new cybook, (replaced under warranty) and the SD slot doesn't seem to work on this one. I know what direction to put it in, but when I push it down it never clicks into place. It just jumps back out. I only have one card, but I do plan on buying a new one today to see if that is the problem.

Anyone else had this problem?

thanks,

-gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
Gerry
Enthusiast

Well, the new card solved the not clicking into place problem.

Unfortunately I now have exactly the same problem as Promo with the card not being recognized by the cybook. No "SD" showing up in the corner, and when I hook my reader up to the computer via usb I get a "The disc you inserted was not readable by this computer." message. It does ask me if I want to initualize it, but I don't want to risk anything happening to the cybook memory so I just ejected it.

Promo, were you able to solve this problem? Or are you just going to live with it?

-gerry
Old 10-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Maybe there is no filesystem in the card. Either format it through the computer but make sure you do not format the internal memory.

Or put the card in a camera and format it. Or put it in an SD-card reader and format it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
Gerry
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Maybe there is no filesystem in the card. Either format it through the computer but make sure you do not format the internal memory.

Or put the card in a camera and format it. Or put it in an SD-card reader and format it.
Thanks Tompe. I put it in an SD card reader and it took a couple of tries, but finally came up as "No Name". Put it back in my cybook and still nothing.

Anyone know how to format an SD card on the mac in system 10.4.11?

thanks!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post

Anyone know how to format an SD card on the mac in system 10.4.11?
Use Disk Utility... don't you have that in Tiger?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
Gerry
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Use Disk Utility... don't you have that in Tiger?

BOb
Thanks for reminding me what to look for Bob. I checked, and I only have the option of reformatting with FAT 16. I'm going to take it to work and have someone with a PC reformat to FAT 32. Maybe that will work.

-gerry
Old 11-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #12
Gerry
Enthusiast

Sadly, even with the card reformat, the cybook still does not see the SD card.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

-gerry
Old 11-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #13
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Have you tried a different SD card? It may be the card is a dud. If you format the card on the Mac or PC you should be able to use it. If you cannot use it on the Mac or PC, the card is dead.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:43 AM   #14
Gerry
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Have you tried a different SD card? It may be the card is a dud. If you format the card on the Mac or PC you should be able to use it. If you cannot use it on the Mac or PC, the card is dead.
Thanks for the suggestion, but the card works fine with other devices.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #15
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Well the only other suggestion is to try another SD card, which you probably have done, or to hit the reset button, again I suspect you've done that, then shout loudly at it
You could try blowing into the slot as it may just have got some crud on the contacts, unlikely but.
Sorry I can't think of anything else just now.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote