Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
JWez
JWez began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Aura HD
B&N, make a bigger, higher DPI e-ink reader already!

Don't anyone even mention Kobo. Try to find a customer service link (or a phone number) on their web site. And when I did find it from a web search, the "service" has so far been non-existent.

Come on B&N pick up the slack, we all don't want bloody play tablets--or Big Brother Amazon--or rootkit Sony.
JWez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I would buy a new Nook glow with the dimensions of the simple touch and the screen of the Kobo Aura the day it came out.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Yes, I'd be on board for that the day it's released. Thankfully, B&N and Kobo are both fairly standards-compliant, so taking my ebooks over to the Aura HD isn't a big deal.

Frankly calling Kobo quirky is being nice about it... But the screen... Yes, it may not be an absolute must-have night-and-day improvement, but once you get used to having sharp, print-quality text (esp. after some font tweaking) it's hard to go back to anything lower-res.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I would love this. My family is already making fun of all the tablets I've bought, and I've got the Earl on preorder, so this might not be a day-1 order for me. But I'd definitely be interested.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm in, but they also need to improve the reading software.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm in, but they also need to improve the reading software.
Even if it didn't have better organization I'd still be interested, because the B&N firmware so far seems much more solid than Kobo. That said, I would be ecstatic if they also offered Calibre integration or better organization.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't care what they do with the organization software (knock wood), I want better reading software. I gave the Simple Touch a try, and I'm currently using a Kobo Glo.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Rbneader
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't care what they do with the organization software (knock wood), I want better reading software. I gave the Simple Touch a try, and I'm currently using a Kobo Glo.
Ah. I'm curious - what don't you like about the B&N reading software? I haven't run into anything I want that it won't do except for comic PDFs and better organization, but I haven't used it for that long.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Ah. I'm curious - what don't you like about the B&N reading software? I haven't run into anything I want that it won't do except for comic PDFs and better organization, but I haven't used it for that long.
I'm really only interested in epub reading. I want more formatting options (line spacing, margins, font, font size, ...).
Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I want the same infrastructure as Amazon. I want plenty of space to store my own books. I buy DRM free from small independent publishers. I want to be able to email my books to my device, folders and the ability to delete a book on the device. For me the screen and software is all that matters. I go with the ereader that has the best of that. For now its the Kindle Paperwhite. I have the Simple Touch but I gave it to a friend.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWez View Post
Don't anyone even mention Kobo. Try to find a customer service link (or a phone number) on their web site. And when I did find it from a web search, the "service" has so far been non-existent.

Come on B&N pick up the slack, we all don't want bloody play tablets--or Big Brother Amazon--or rootkit Sony.
I've dealt with kobo cs once and nook cs once (both UK) and while kobo weren't great they did finally resolve the issue. nook were, frankly, completely useless.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWez View Post
Don't anyone even mention Kobo. ...
Kobo.

Quote:
... Try to find a customer service link (or a phone number) on their web site. And when I did find it from a web search, the "service" has so far been non-existent.

Maybe it is a country specific problem (getting a phone number). I can get it by:

1) Go to their web site
2) Scroll to the bottom and click on "Get Help" (lower left)
3) Click on "Contact Customer Care" (lower right)
4) click on phone

I do agree that the service sucks.