Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #61
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I still hear my father saying that I need to get my nose out of a book and outside into the sunshine as I needed a tan LOL. Imagine telling a child to go into the sun these days.
Umm, well, while we want them to use more sunscreen now, it's still important and good advice to get your nose out of the books and live life from time to time.
In addition to fresh air and such, it's kind of important to be in the world and not just read about it.

Too much of anything is no good.

Also, I wonder if being told to stop reading and go out an play served a reverse-psychology effect. I think it was the Dillards who said that the kids in the family all got interested in playing music because their father would leave all his instruments out in the living room and say "Don't touch those!"

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #62
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
Imagine my astonishment when I first came at my parents in law, and I couldn't find a book anywhere...
How well I can relate to that astonishment! I grew up in a poor home with many hundreds of books. When I first visited my husband's large impressive family home I was stunned to find that they seemed to be able to afford anything, yet had no books. The envy I first felt for his seemingly privileged childhood turned to pity.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #63
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
My aunt was a school teacher and introduced me to books early on. I remember reading Beverly Cleary books. But I wasn't really dedicated to reading. Then when I was nine, I spent the summer with my grandparents. My uncle had just died in Viet Nam, and looking through his old things, I found his collection of Tom Swift Jr. books. I read them and was hooked. I went quickly to Edgar Rice Burroughs (Savage Pellucidar was also my first Burroughs, I think) and I never looked back.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #64
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My maternal grandfather and a paternal uncle were both voracious readers. My grandfather was in Illinois and my uncle was in Georgia. My father was military and we lived all over. My father would take leave and we would visit each family once a year. I was the go between. I would pick up books from one and drop off the ones from the other. And I got to read them in between. And traveling gave me plenty of time to read. We must have swapped many hundreds of books over the years.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #65
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I grew up in a family of readers, with a houseful of books. I can't remember a time when I couldn't read, but my mother told me that she used to read aloud to me, until one day I said, "I'd like to try that." That was before I started school, and I can remember a teacher "showing me off" to the elementary school principal because I could read aloud from the newspaper in kindergarten.

I always think it's a good thing I started reading early--there are so many books I want to read, and never enough time. (And they're always printing more! )
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #66
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
and epublishing too.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #67
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's just evil!

Not if you knew me when I was a kid!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #68
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
and epublishing too.
Yep, I think ebooks are great myself. There are many books that I'd never have a chance to acquire via traditional methods either due to them being out of print or too expensive (not to mention the problem of storage space) and with ebooks getting copies is as simple as going to a place like Amazon, Smashwords or here at MR and clicking a download link. If we aren't starting a golden age of reading I'll settle for what we have til the golden age starts.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #69
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
I can remember a teacher "showing me off" to the elementary school principal because I could read aloud from the newspaper in kindergarten.
I am impressed! Wow!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #70
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
How well I can relate to that astonishment! I grew up in a poor home with many hundreds of books. When I first visited my husband's large impressive family home I was stunned to find that they seemed to be able to afford anything, yet had no books. The envy I first felt for his seemingly privileged childhood turned to pity.
Is your husband a reader?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #71
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Yep, I think ebooks are great myself. There are many books that I'd never have a chance to acquire via traditional methods either due to them being out of print or too expensive (not to mention the problem of storage space) and with ebooks getting copies is as simple as going to a place like Amazon, Smashwords or here at MR and clicking a download link. If we aren't starting a golden age of reading I'll settle for what we have til the golden age starts.
Yep, the thing that pushed me over the edge into buying my first ereader - Sony 505 was the free public domain classics! Woo-Hoo!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #72
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
My mother used to lock the door, so I couldn't come back inside until she thought I had enough sunshine (or she was able to stand us!)
That never happened to me. Of course I was born a red head and have always had rather fair skin color so being out in the sun too long usually resulted in a bad sun burn. One time I wore a tank top with open weave and rode my bike too long on a sunny day. I paid for it for several weeks thereafter. Reading was a good way to pass the time without risking that.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #73
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Is your husband a reader?
Yes, he was. As I figured out what he enjoyed, he had me buy all his books. He said that he never read much until he married me, so I guess reading is contagious.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
Yes, he was. As I figured out what he enjoyed, he had me buy all his books. He said that he never read much until he married me, so I guess reading is contagious.
Or maybe you're just worth it.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #75
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can think of worse things to catch than the reading bug. Why the past tense though?