Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #46
Shardancalibre
Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: kobo glo
I didn't know the correct name of the option because the language is set to Italian, by the way, my doubt is: why when I push the switch the device goes to "turned off" but when I check on it after some time the mode has changed to stand by? That being said, does the "stand by" mode consume energy? or can I leave it that way instead of turn it off completely (or trying to turn it off, since as it appears it doesn't want to be turned off). In a nutshell what's the difference between the two modes?
I noticed that when it's off, it takes a longer time to be ready (to take you to the home page), and when I switch it on from a "standby" mode it takes just 2 seconds (and takes you directly to whatever you were reading. )

I hope this is not too confused as I feel it is.
Shardancalibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
OK, I understand now. I haven't heard of a Kobo going from off to standby without it being turned on first. I don't know what to suggest.

Standby should use more power than off. But, starting up from off should use a lot of power. It is a trade-off between how long it is not going to be used. Personally, I have standby set to 15 minutes and off to never. I don't think there has been a day since I got my Kobo that I haven't used it. The quick wake-up is great for just grabbing few minutes reading during the day.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #48
Shardancalibre
Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.

Ok David, thank you very much. After some days I think I like the kobo glo. It's not mine actually, it's a gift for my mother, but I have been testing it in order to help me out in making a decision about what device to buy for myself: Kindle paperwhite or kobo glo. What has restrained me so far to get a Kobo are: 1) the annotation issue, but I saw that you can make up to it with calibre and 2) the battery life (as far as I know the kindle has a longer life).
If the difference (of batteryl ife ) is not so big, I could go for the kobo.
I couldn't try the paperwhite with my own hands because it's still not be sold in the shops here, you have to buy it online. You are surely more expert than me, which one would you suggest I should buy (if you know the paperwhite obviously)?.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardancalibre View Post
Ok David, thank you very much. After some days I think I like the kobo glo. It's not mine actually, it's a gift for my mother, but I have been testing it in order to help me out in making a decision about what device to buy for myself: Kindle paperwhite or kobo glo. What has restrained me so far to get a Kobo are: 1) the annotation issue, but I saw that you can make up to it with calibre and 2) the battery life (as far as I know the kindle has a longer life).
If the difference (of batteryl ife ) is not so big, I could go for the kobo.
I couldn't try the paperwhite with my own hands because it's still not be sold in the shops here, you have to buy it online. You are surely more expert than me, which one would you suggest I should buy (if you know the paperwhite obviously)?.
I can't comment on the Paperwhite as I haven't seen one. It is the same here, they are not on sale in Australia. The Kindle Touch seems to use the same interface and I have briefly played with it in the shops. I didn't like it, but I had been using a Kobo Touch for six months so was used to that.

I initially chose the Kobo Touch because it supported epubs and I didn't want to be tied to Amazon. Plus I liked the interface and the price was right. When the Glo finally reached here, I couldn't resist. It is better than the Touch, but I miss the physical home button.

I can't really comment on battery life for the Glo. I read on the device for a couple of hours most days. But, for a few reasons, the device also spends a lot of time connected to my laptop, so the battery charge is normally high. My guess is that it would last me at least two weeks if I didn't connect it. I can't see myself needing to go that long without the ability to charge the device.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #50
Shardancalibre

David since you still reply to me I'll take advantage of your kindness

I've been reading that you can't highlight or use the dictionary in books of a format other than epub. In other words I always have to transform every book in epub with calibre to use those functions?

Some people say that the kobo has a penchant for crashing when you put into it some book larger than 1000 pages, can you confirm that?

last but not least, how can I change the orientation of the page from vertical to horizontal? (supposing it's possible).
Old 12-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #51
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Orientation is portrait only.

I've had no issues with large books
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #52
Shardancalibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Orientation is portrait only.

I've had no issues with large books
Thanks Peter, good to know.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

As Peter said, large books aren't really a problem. One of the firmware versions had problems if you tried changing the fonts to many times. This seems to be fixed in 2.3.1.

I thought the dictionary worked with all formats. But, I just tried a TXT and PDF and it didn't. I am surprised at the TXT not working, but the PDF might be its formatting. Some are really just images and some are text. The PDF I have on my device is a train timetable, so it might be the image type.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #54
9littlebees
Connoisseur
9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice

Device: Sony Xperia Arc; Kobo Glo
Shardancalibre, sorry for the long delay in replying - I've been on holiday in Germany with very limited internet access (in-laws out in the countryside!). Thanks davidfor, PeterT & robko for the responses.

I'm planning on finishing my review over the course of this and next week and have looked at your questions to ensure that I will be addressing them.

Some of them are already there (battery life, bookmarks, highlighting & annotations), but I've also added points on searching within epubs and kepubs and also how the Glo handles large books. You mention >1000 pages, but that is a bit ambiguous since the page count depends on font size. Still, I will endeavour to find some large open-source book to test (War & Peace and Anna Karenina immediately spring to mind).

As for the off to standby mode issue, I have to say that I don't have this issue. I last briefly switched on my Glo last Friday (28-Dec-12) before switching properly off. I've now looked at it again (without having taken it out of its case in 6 days) and it clearly states at the top: "POWERED OFF". Furthermore, switching it back on takes the usual 30 seconds or so and there is no noticeable battery drain (it's currently reading 99%) which suggests this may be a fault with your unit (or maybe your firmware?).

For the record, I'm on firmware 2.14 r43703 from 1-Oct-12 (launch day!) still.

Last edited by 9littlebees; 01-03-2013 at 09:41 AM.
9littlebees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #55
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Quote:
that is a bit ambiguous since the page count depends on font size
I believe that a page is 1024 characters. So font size doesn't affect the page count.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #56
9littlebees
Connoisseur
9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
I believe that a page is 1024 characters. So font size doesn't affect the page count.
I just tested this and you're right.

I would love to be able to set the displayed page numbers to equal the number of page turns, but oh well...

Do other ereader manufacturers also standardise page numbers like this?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #57
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9littlebees View Post
I just tested this and you're right.

I would love to be able to set the displayed page numbers to equal the number of page turns, but oh well...

Do other ereader manufacturers also standardise page numbers like this?
This page number comes from ADE which is used for reading ePubs. Most readers use ADE, so I assume they also use this for the page count.

Kobo do have a second reader for kepubs. This does use page per screen, but it also shows the page count relative to the the chapter rather than the book.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #58
9littlebees
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This page number comes from ADE which is used for reading ePubs. Most readers use ADE, so I assume they also use this for the page count.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused by this. Many of the epubs on my Glo have not come into contact with ADE, but rather through Calibre. They also count pages by 1024 characters, rather than page count. Can you please explain what you mean by "comes from ADE" in a bit more detail?

Quote:
Kobo do have a second reader for kepubs. This does use page per screen, but it also shows the page count relative to the the chapter rather than the book.
Interesting, which reader is this?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #59
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Most eReaders use the ADE mobile engine to support reading ePubs.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #60
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9littlebees View Post
Sorry, I'm a bit confused by this. Many of the epubs on my Glo have not come into contact with ADE, but rather through Calibre. They also count pages by 1024 characters, rather than page count. Can you please explain what you mean by "comes from ADE" in a bit more detail?

Interesting, which reader is this?
To expand on what Peter said, a lot of the e-readers are using Adobe software as the base to render epubs (whether they are DRM protected or not) and it is this rendering software that has the default 1024 character per page. So it doesn't matter where your epub came from it still gets that as the default on the Kobo.
The other "reader" that Peter was referring to is a separate and Kobo proprietary software rendering engine that is used by Kobo e-readers to render "kepubs" (epubs that have been modified by Kobo to their proprietary format).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, ereader, glo, kobo, review