Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Paperwhite's screen?
Yes 191 76.71%
No 58 23.29%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #76
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I had a few faint colour blobs too, not enough to distract from reading but they seem to have gone now too. I didn't do anything to the screen, they have just gone.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #77
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I had a few faint colour blobs too, not enough to distract from reading but they seem to have gone now too. I didn't do anything to the screen, they have just gone.

Thats great news ! All 3 of my kindles had color blotches that never went away and no residual film of any substance was found on any of the screens. Color blobs of any kind according to Customer Service is a defect. I didn't pay 120.00 to beta test. So many people are settling for the lesser of the defective units. That will result in prolonging Amazon to actually fix the issue. Heck many folks on Amazon are giving the PW 5 stars with color blobs.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #78
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
Heck many folks on Amazon are giving the PW 5 stars with color blobs.
I noticed that too. It's baffling.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #79
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I noticed that too. It's baffling.
Seems a lot of folks are keeping them regardless of the defects. I think they love the technology regardless of the problems. I'm mailing in my last one for a refund today and hope in the near future they get these defects ironed out. 113 happy only 36 unhappy that is amazing considering my track record with these devices.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #80
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
suits me

my Paperwhite arrived last week from Amazon uk. It had some blurry shadows at the bottom of the screen. However, I found the screen too bright for my eyesight. I turned the brightness down to 12. This is ideal for me. The screen background is grey but a much lighter grey than my Kindle 3. Also, at this setting, the shadows have disappeared. I found I could not get a suitable font size. The font being too large or too small with nothing in between. I solved this by putting books through Calibre using base font 13. Result, absolute perfection for me and I love my new Paperwhite.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #81
tmf2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I found I could not get a suitable font size. The font being too large or too small with nothing in between. I solved this by putting books through Calibre using base font 13. Result, absolute perfection for me and I love my new Paperwhite.

I use font size 4 on the Kindle 4. On the Paper White 4 was to small went to 5 and still a wee bit smaller then the K4 on font size 4, bumped it to 5 now it was too large. The font sizing is off now due to the higher res screen. They need 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 to compliment the higher res screen. I did not think of running through Calibre....oh well.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #82
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbinR View Post
I have a K4 Touch with the Amazon lighted cover, which personally I find quite acceptable for reading at night?
Would the PW be a retrograde step from this? Has anyone got both to make the comparison?
I had both. Liked the PW so much, I gave the Touch away a few days later.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #83
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Seems a lot of folks are keeping them regardless of the defects. I think they love the technology regardless of the problems.
That's fair enough, but why give it five stars? Do people not understand simple star ratings!?!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #84
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Probably because not everyone is aware of the issue. If you know how E Ink is supposed to look like (no color blotches), then of course you can say something is wrong with your device. But if you are new to e-book reading, and if the Kindle is your first device, well, some people may not know the difference.

That said, I am perfectly happy with my PW, despite its defects. There are too many things in life that aren't perfect - I have no room to be upset about my e-book reader.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #85
tmf2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
That said, I am perfectly happy with my PW, despite its defects. There are too many things in life that aren't perfect - I have no room to be upset about my e-book reader.
True not many things in life are perfect, but I fail to equate that particular philosophy when purchasing new products, be it a 30K Harley Davidson or a $120.00 Kindle. When I pay good hard earned money for something I expect it without defects. When I do a job for someone I strive to do a perfect job I would not expect my customers to except anything substandard as my business depends on customer satisfaction. Mediocrity is far too accepted as the norm nowadays.

Last edited by tmf2; 10-29-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #86
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
The font being too large or too small with nothing in between. I solved this by putting books through Calibre using base font 13. Result, absolute perfection
Thanks, Moonraker. That's a great tip!
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #87
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I compared the Paperwhite that I received with both my Kindle Keyboard and my Kindle Fire (1st generation) that I use for nighttime reading.

When there was no light on, the screen was very similar to the Kindle Keyboard, but with the light on, I - and some others who looked at it - had the impression that it was not as sharp as the Kindle Keyboard.

For nighttime reading in an unlit bedroom, the Kindle Fire won on sharpness, hands down. It was also much brighter, which is fine for me. So for me the best option was to keep my 2 old Kindles that I already had and send back the PW.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #88
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
When I do a job for someone I strive to do a perfect job I would not expect my customers to except anything substandard as my business depends on customer satisfaction. Mediocrity is far too accepted as the norm nowadays.
I applaud your efforts.

Ten years ago I would have agreed with you. But in my own experience, striving for perfectionism has been the cause for a lot of unhappiness, which could have been avoided had I lowered by expectations (of myself and my surrounding). Today I believe I live more a more carefree live by not taking everything too serious as I would have done in the past.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #89
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post

For nighttime reading in an unlit bedroom, the Kindle Fire won on sharpness, hands down. It was also much brighter, which is fine for me. So for me the best option was to keep my 2 old Kindles that I already had and send back the PW.
To me, the Fire is so much heavier (and a bit larger) that I prefer not to read novels on it. It's great for catching up on the news before bed though. I'd like a small, light Fire....I thought the HD was under a pound, but I was wrong. A 10 oz tablet, thin, with a 7" screen, would be ideal. So for me, the Paperwhite is best to read at night, lying in bed.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #90
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
A 10 oz tablet, thin, with a 7" screen, would be ideal.
There's the iPad Mini at 10.88 oz...
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote