Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #121
linnx88
Enthusiast
linnx88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Ok. I decided to post a few pictures, so you can see about the splotches I'm talking about and the horrible dark/light blooms at the bottom. Definitely Bezos over-advertised this time. Not a mention of this issue before today!!!

I think the splotches are VERY noticeable in my picture. Please have a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-02 15.38.33.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	93251   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-02 15.38.42.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	978.8 KB
ID:	93252   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-02 15.39.03.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	93253  
linnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #122
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I'm hoping that Amazon is reading all these posts. Hopefully, my unit to be delivered on Oct 11 will have the problems solved.

Just remember, the early adopters are always the beta testers.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #123
linnx88
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I'm hoping that Amazon is reading all these posts. Hopefully, my unit to be delivered on Oct 11 will have the problems solved.

Just remember, the early adopters are always the beta testers.
I'm not an adopter. I bought this as a gift for my aging grandmother who loves to read, but isn't very good with tech and wanted to have the minimum amount of buttons and a built in light. That's why I waited and got her this. But the way it looks, as you can see in the above pics, it's simply unacceptable.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #124
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Mine just arrived.

I see what every one means by the blotchiness (you can see the pattern of the lights at the bottom) HOWEVER - what you don't see is the screen bleed like the nook glow.

I generally keep the light dim (same for the nook glow), and it doesn't appear to be too noticeable at that level (it's at about 7 right now). Even low with the nook glow, there is a band of light around one side, which thankfully the kindle lacks.

What disappoints me though, is the screen itself (when the light is off) isn't as white as the new non-touch black. The contrast is definitely much better on the non touch black.

Kind of surprised by how heavy it feels (in comparison to the non touch), page sync didn't work for me either, but a cool thing is that when you have it in the case and close the cover, the light stays at the same level when you wake it up. That's much nicer than having to hold a button for three seconds, like on the nook.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #125
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
I saw that picture earlier (PRS-700) and wanted to say "Awww.... it's like looking at e-reader baby pictures!" I mentioned this on another thread, but isn't it so ironic that Sony was the first company to introduce an e-ink reader with integrated light and now they're the only one that doesn't have one? Did they just give up because it didn't work out the first time?
It could be because of issues like being reported about the KPW. Maybe Sony has tried and cannot yet get it so there are no issues. Fingerprints, uneven lighting, shadows/spots are not good to have. Better to not have the light then send out units with such issues.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #126
jswinden
Nameless Being

Okay I think a lot of the fuzziness in fonts was due to the room lighting reflecting off one are more of the substrates. I moved over to a less well lit area where I normally do a lot of reading, turned the PW brightness down to 7/24, and it isn't too bad. I don't really like the fonts though. I used the sans serif on the Touch because it was bolder, but Helvetical, the only sans serif on the PW, is not as bold or thick or whatever you want to call it. So I switched to Caecilia Condensed and that works a little better for me. Still more gray than white as far as background and the fonts still are not as dark as they showed in the Amazon videos. Occasionally I get a line or two of text that are clearly darker than the ones above and below. Must be some sort of refresh glitch as I can page forward the back and it goes away. I did set the PW to refresh on every page.

Well off on some errands then this evening I'll read for a long time and let you know how it worked out.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #127
linnx88
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Mine just arrived.

I see what every one means by the blotchiness (you can see the pattern of the lights at the bottom) HOWEVER - what you don't see is the screen bleed like the nook glow.

I generally keep the light dim (same for the nook glow), and it doesn't appear to be too noticeable at that level (it's at about 7 right now). Even low with the nook glow, there is a band of light around one side, which thankfully the kindle lacks.

What disappoints me though, is the screen itself (when the light is off) isn't as white as the new non-touch black. The contrast is definitely much better on the non touch black.

Kind of surprised by how heavy it feels (in comparison to the non touch), page sync didn't work for me either, but a cool thing is that when you have it in the case and close the cover, the light stays at the same level when you wake it up. That's much nicer than having to hold a button for three seconds, like on the nook.
I'm not even talking about the bottom blossoms, you can see the huge splotchiness in the middle of the screen in the above pics. I mean the lightning is completely uneven and causes a visual anomaly that looks grey/bluish/yellow.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #128
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

This is surprising! You would think the PW supposedly being the ultimate eReader they would have used the same screens. I know eInk varies but the K4B screens reports have been pretty much consistent with improved lighter background and contrast. I was expecting the PW to be even better.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #129
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Mine just arrived.

Totally agree.

The On/Off button takes more effort to use, which is good because the older Kindles sometimes turned on too easily. However, now you have to press the button then swipe the bottom of the screen to turn it on. I don't like having extra steps added! I definitely miss the Home button too. Takes longer to get there.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #130
Luminose
Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
So....... Is anyone advocating getting a regular Kindle over the PW? I've been waiting weeks to purchase an e-ink reader because I was dead set on waiting for the PW. Would anyone advocate a regular Kindle plus a lighted cover instead?
Luminose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #131
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminose View Post
So....... Is anyone advocating getting a regular Kindle over the PW? I've been waiting weeks to purchase an e-ink reader because I was dead set on waiting for the PW. Would anyone advocate a regular Kindle plus a lighted cover instead?
I personally won't make any recommendations either way until tomorrow after I've spent a few hours actually reading on the PW under various lighting conditions and settings.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #132
linnx88
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminose View Post
Tell you what. I will return my kindle pw, and see if the new one still has that huge splotch you see in my post above.

If the new pw, still has it, i will definitely get a regular kindle and recommend the same. At least until they acknowledge this problem and do something to fix it and not just act like I have to jump through hoops to get this shoddy lighting to work or "train" myself to "not notice it".
Old 10-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #133
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This then is a serious bug in the Kindle software. It should be treated as red- not as red--. I don't know of any other reading software or even word processing software that has this bug.
IMHO that would make the written word "redimitation-velvet-wallpapered" instead of "red-imitation-velvet-wallpapered." I like the way they handled it.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #134
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnx88 View Post
I'm not even talking about the bottom blossoms, you can see the huge splotchiness in the middle of the screen in the above pics. I mean the lightning is completely uneven and causes a visual anomaly that looks grey/bluish/yellow.
Yeah, the splottches in your photo are ugly (looks like a bruise ). Don't see anything like that here, but it may be because of the lighting I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The On/Off button takes more effort to use, which is good because the older Kindles sometimes turned on too easily. However, now you have to press the button then swipe the bottom of the screen to turn it on. I don't like having extra steps added! I definitely miss the Home button too. Takes longer to get there.
Swipe? On the PW? No swiping here, just press the on/off button and start reading.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-02-2012 at 04:09 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #135
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
IMHO that would make the written word "redimitation-velvet-wallpapered" instead of "red-imitation-velvet-wallpapered." I like the way they handled it.
The way it is supposed to work is that if there is room on the line, then the word gets split after the dash. So it would be red- at the end of the line and not red--. red-- is incorrect. red- is correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote