Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Good to know.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
I guess you have enough time to spare, don't you?
All righty then.
William F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #18
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You just quote the most awesome actor.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
sphinxkarado
sphinxkarado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sphinxkarado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sphinxkarado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sphinxkarado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sphinxkarado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sphinxkarado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sphinxkarado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sphinxkarado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sphinxkarado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sphinxkarado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sphinxkarado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There are days when I just like to take my mind out for a walk, so to speak. This is where we commune with the Angels, or, our muse. I find that these are most productive...I will have a novel in process, a screenplay or a short-film project juggling...Walking the mind helps.
sphinxkarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
AlexGrama
Writer

You lost my interest and your self-esteem at : "Angels". Come on...
Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #21
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
You lost my interest and your self-esteem at : "Angels". Come on...
You may not like the idea of an "Angel" mental construct, but it is no different from sitting in the park, a giant library, or being at the shore and using the ambiance to inspire you. Likewise a whip wielding boss may get the job done. If it works, it is "good!"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
AlexGrama
Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
You may not like the idea of an "Angel" mental construct, but it is no different from sitting in the park, a giant library, or being at the shore and using the ambiance to inspire you. Likewise a whip wielding boss may get the job done. If it works, it is "good!"
We shall meet on the bridge of Khazad-Dum.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxkarado View Post
There are days when I just like to take my mind out for a walk, so to speak. This is where we commune with the Angels, or, our muse. I find that these are most productive...I will have a novel in process, a screenplay or a short-film project juggling...Walking the mind helps.
I find that exercise such as jogging or lifting weights helps me come up with new ideas. I've always felt that writers of today have been wrongly led to believe that writing a certain amount of words will make one magically into a writer. I think this belief was unfortunately set in motion by Ray Bradbury and his famous "million words of unpublishable prose".

So now, everywhere we look, there are writers pumping out prose. And in writing circles I've seen people submitting stories with the same mistakes each week. It's not enough to just write every day. Writers have to constantly push the envelope of what they are capable of. [Like not ending on a preposition or using a sentence fragment ]
davidwfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #24
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Off hand, I can't remember the quote, but the essence of the meaning goes like this:

~~ I am filled/consumed with life ... It overflows me ~~

Be involved, do a lot of things, go a lot of places but take time to reflect.

Don't be a "one trick pony."
Old 03-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
Deidre Blue
caffeine freak
Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
I really really really should write everyday, at least for a little while. I am the world's WORST procrastinator, lol. Funny enough, though, I never used to have a problem writing in a journal daily when I was younger. Maybe I should go back to doing that. Is there any rule on what kind of writing you need to do daily? Does journal writing count as much as working on a manuscript? :-/
Deidre Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #26
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deidre Blue View Post
I really really really should write everyday, at least for a little while. I am the world's WORST procrastinator, lol. Funny enough, though, I never used to have a problem writing in a journal daily when I was younger. Maybe I should go back to doing that. Is there any rule on what kind of writing you need to do daily? Does journal writing count as much as working on a manuscript? :-/
If I might make a suggestion,

in your journal, ALSO write about the things you would like to say in a story, in a book, or an article, and the goals you have for your writing, and your very dreams.

The best of luck to you.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #27
WordsWithDani
EatSunflowerSeedsEveryday
WordsWithDani never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.WordsWithDani never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.WordsWithDani never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.WordsWithDani never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.WordsWithDani never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.WordsWithDani never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.WordsWithDani never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.WordsWithDani never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.WordsWithDani never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.WordsWithDani never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.WordsWithDani never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Fire
I've always Word open and whenever I have the inspiration I type something down. On the flip side, however, if I just finished a project or it's a holiday or something, I just go "that's it, not getting writing done today''. If you force it, it's going to be bad.
WordsWithDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I could write every day, but I don't. For one thing, I am retired and I don't need to. I have other things going on in my life and sometimes those are more important.

I never really suffer from writers block, just a lack of desire to write that day. However, when I have decided to bear down and write, one of the easiest ways to get started is to set a goal for a number of words. I use 20 words. As I am writing the 20 words, I almost always find myself adding to those words. Sometimes this results in hundreds more words, sometimes thousands of more words.

I often start by editing the stuff that I recently wrote, but I don't worry about that, because I usually make the work better. I often get started on a work by writing late at night. Gradually, I begin writing sooner and sooner in the day. When I reach the point that I am writing in the morning, I know that I am getting very serious about that work.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #29
Herbie Jackson
Herbie Jackson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herbie Jackson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herbie Jackson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herbie Jackson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herbie Jackson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herbie Jackson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herbie Jackson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herbie Jackson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herbie Jackson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herbie Jackson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herbie Jackson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle PC
Simple answer is that you don't have to write every day.
For me writing should come from you when it wants to, not because you think you have to.
I have read enough over the years to tell the difference between a good book and a career writer.
Herbie Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I may not write every day, I still have to earn a living and it seems unlikely I will do that from writing even if I eventually get published, but I think about writing every day. Sometimes I think about the novels I am writing; sometimes I write about some event that's affected me; sometimes I get ideas for what I would like to write; sometimes I think about the mechanics of writing; and sometimes - when I want to get depressed - I read about trying to get published. (I still like pbooks and would very much like to get traditionally published - that seems almost like a dirty secret on this forum, hence the small font. )

One of the things that I wrote to myself when thinking about the mechanics of writing was that it was a self-fulfilling thing: that to write was to always write, but to not-write was to never write. It may just be my nature, but it seemed to me that if I put my writing up on the shelf for too long that it would stay up on the shelf and nothing more would happen. It's become a compulsion for me now, and while I now sleep a whole lot less than I used to, it's the way I feed my compulsion.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote