Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #16
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I didn't think there was any real hope of it NOT being LCD, so my disappointment is the weight. 15.8 oz is even heavier than the original Nooks. I found the original Nook heavy for one-handed use. But it is lighter than the iPad, which has been a challenge for reading for me. Maybe the Nook Color will seem light now :P

And I'm glad to see they got rid of the page turn buttons. And they have so many accessories planned.

I'm curious about why they dedicated so much space to the hook on the bottom. You can attach a wriststrap with a tiny little bar - it seems like overkill.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #17
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
sweet unit..hear that Santa?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #18
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
And I'm glad to see they got rid of the page turn buttons. And they have so many accessories planned.
Actually, page turn buttons are something I wish they'd kept. One handed operation just about requires them, at least on a crowded subway.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
If implemented properly, this could also be a killer device for textbooks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #20
aggiegirl92
aggiegirl92 began at the beginning.

Device: Micro Cruz R103
If this thing is as sweet in person as it seems to be via the internet, then I know what I want for Christmas!
aggiegirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #21
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Actually, page turn buttons are something I wish they'd kept. One handed operation just about requires them, at least on a crowded subway.
I agree, but B&N didn't get the design right on the Nook E-Ink without cracking, so I'd rather they avoid them if they can't engineer them right.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
It seems cool but it's not for me. I would like colour and honestly I don't think I'd really mind an 8-hour battery life, but I definitely want an e-ink screen so the LCD is a deal-breaker. I can see who it would be for though.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I agree, but B&N didn't get the design right on the Nook E-Ink without cracking, so I'd rather they avoid them if they can't engineer them right.
Totally agree!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #24
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
I'm very familiar with IPS panels. I have several monitors, the iPad, and the iPhone, all of which have IPS panels. My disappointment was the battery life as a result of the IPS panel, not the IPS panel itself.

My interest was with a color Nook that used a color eInk display. Maybe Amazon will make one instead.
ahhh gotcha
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #25
DiamondDave
Enthusiast
DiamondDave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Not interested. I'll wait until they make a color e-ink model. Until? If...
DiamondDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I must say, the device is very sleek looking; though a bit heavy at 16oz. Just one hard button too - it's the "n" located at the bottom.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #27
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
did they give any specs on the processor and memory?
It has 8 Gb internal memory and a micro SD card.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Barnes & Noble unveils Nook Color

Why LCD?

Quote:
It will be interesting to follow consumers' response to the Nook Color. A lot of readers love e-ink because there's no backlighting and the screen is viewable in direct sunlight. However, when we spoke to Barnes & Noble CEO Bill Lynch, he said the company had done extensive research on displays and discovered that eye-strain with LCDs was not the huge issue many people were making it out to be. He was confident people would be comfortable reading on the Nook Color.
What's with that corner slot?

Quote:
B&N also will sell a number of accessories for the device, such as covers and charms to attach to the device's corner slot. In case you're wondering about the thinking that went into that slot, Lynch told CNET that the Nook Color's designer, fuseproject, felt strongly that the device should have a signature design element. Fuseproject also designed Aliph's Jawbone headsets.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #29
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Since my daughter has claimed possession of my beloved nook, I’ve been waiting for a multi-media android tablet which can be more than just an ereader. My criteria are as follows:

1) Same size as my nook so it can fit in my purse.
2) Screen display and battery life as good as the iPad.
3) Fast web browsing
4) Ability to run flash and play videos
5) Can run word, exel and powerpoint
6) SD or micro SD slot expansion
7) USB interface
8) Price range ~ $250

I’ve been waiting for android tablets for months and the low end stuff are such a disappointment. The Samsung Galaxy sounds good but somehow it is tethered to a data plan. I never thought my Android tablet would come from BN so it is a surprise. So far the spec of the Nook Color is very impressive except the battery life. iPad’s battery can last 10 hours with WiFi but the Nook color is only 8 hours with reading only. I’ll be very anxious to test this unit in the store; if it is as good as it sounds, I’ll get one for myself as a Christmas present.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #30
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I don't see the product space for this device. It's an android tablet that can't run android apps. How is having a device dedicated to one single app better than having the ebook reading experience on every android tablet.

They should have stuck with what differentiated the ereader from other devices. eInk, integrated directly with the store, superior reading experience.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote