Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kobo Frozen on home screen

My Kobo was responding very slowly after installing a new book purchased from Books On Board. I shut it down hoping that would help but instead of going to the cover of the book (I'm still running firmware 1.0) it went to the "Kobo eReading:anytime.anyplace" screen that you see when you first start-up, with the 7 little squares that appear as it loads. That is where it is now. I've tried re-setting a number of times with no luck. It resets, goes the samw screen, loads the 7 squares then nothing. The funny thing is that when I plug it in to my computer it shows up on the desktop and I have access to all my files. I can also see it in Calibre and ADE. I can add and delete files but the screen never changes. Plugged in or unplugged.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Might be the recent ebook that is a culprit. When the autoplay file explorer window pops up, remove the ebook and then disconnect properly. Hopefully when it recompiles the ebook contents, it will load correctly for you.

It might then pay to run the ebook through calibre and convert it epub-epub to see if the bad niggles are removed.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Might be the recent ebook that is a culprit. When the autoplay file explorer window pops up, remove the ebook and then disconnect properly. Hopefully when it recompiles the ebook contents, it will load correctly for you.

It might then pay to run the ebook through calibre and convert it epub-epub to see if the bad niggles are removed.
I don't know what autoplay file explorer is but I had already removed all traces of the ebook.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
You could try restoring the "stock" sqlite database with the original ebooks, that might sort it out. If that doesn't work then the next step would be to try a SD card 1.4 update, I don't know that there is anyway you could avoid a 1.4 update if the restoring the default SQLite DB doesn't work, any replacement Kobo is going to have 1.4 already loaded now.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
You could try restoring the "stock" sqlite database with the original ebooks, that might sort it out. If that doesn't work then the next step would be to try a SD card 1.4 update, I don't know that there is anyway you could avoid a 1.4 update if the restoring the default SQLite DB doesn't work, any replacement Kobo is going to have 1.4 already loaded now.
How do I restore the sqlite database?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here we go.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94789

BTW, the autoplay explorer window is what pops up when you plug in a USB device or a DVD/CD.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am a backup kind of gal and added the sqlite file stored on my desktop to the things I have set to automatically back up each night. A few days ago, as I dragged a new purchase downloaded with ADE to the Kobo icon, the little signal light was blue, rather than green (not a Kobo problem, I think, but rather due to a strange periodic hiccup on my computer). Sure enough, the book did not end up in my reader, but as I played around, I came to realize that there was a pointer to it in my sqlite file. That kept me from being able to load the book from ADE again and have it show up. From past experience, I knew I could have sideloaded it through Calibre and then I would be good to go, but instead, I went to my backup and replaced the now wonky sqlite file with the one from the day before. I then downloaded the book again, and presto chango--there it was.

I'm throwing this out for folks who might not want to start over with an entirely fresh sqlite file and who. likeme, backup the desktop sqlite file.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:44 AM   #8
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I am a backup kind of gal and added the sqlite file stored on my desktop to the things I have set to automatically back up each night.
Quite smart. I know a lot of serious guys, doing costly works, not
having any back up. Imagine when hard drive says "krrrrrrrrr".
Aside, version of desktop application should be of no reason for
failure. At the moment it is. That means that functions are not the
same, regarding input -> output. My opinion is that app has to be
"black box". Not closed source, but not important for procedure. It
will never happen, due to nature of the business.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The company I work for hasn't done a back up in months. I carry a Passport portable drive with me and backup my own work every day before I leave work. I sync it to my desktop at home as soon as I hit the door. No way am I going to lose important files because the prehistoric server drops dead.

Last edited by taming; 09-30-2010 at 02:57 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
Duiker
Addict

....and getting back tot the topic at hand.
I've replaced the sqlite file to no avail. I've tried deleting the entire Digital Editions file and did a search for anything with the same title as the book I put in and deleted those. Nothing. I would be willing to wipe the whole reader and reinstall the OS if anyone thought it would help and could tell me how to do it? I dread the idea of having to ship the reader back to kobo and then wait for it to be fixed or have a refurbished unit sent back.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
sabredog

Can you go to Chapters and have them resuscitate the ereader using an SD card. As you are in Canada, I believe that is a doable option.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Can you go to Chapters and have them resuscitate the ereader using an SD card. As you are in Canada, I believe that is a doable option.
I think that's a good idea. Better than giving it back to Kobo and waiting a month or more for a new one. Will you try that first?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I think that's a good idea. Better than giving it back to Kobo and waiting a month or more for a new one. Will you try that first?
I'll definitely give it a shot, and since Chapters is basically across the street from my office it sure as hell wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the advice all. I'll let you know the final result.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
Duiker
Addict

Update: I took my kobo to Chapters where the manager re-installed the OS for me using an SD card. Fixed it with no problems. I tried re-installing the previously mentioned ebook that I believe caused this whole headache in the first place and the kobo is slooooowwwwwww. So I am now going to remove the book (btw it's The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro) which I paid for and now can't read but do not want to pay for AGAIN and see how it goes.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Update: I took my kobo to Chapters where the manager re-installed the OS for me using an SD card. Fixed it with no problems. I tried re-installing the previously mentioned ebook that I believe caused this whole headache in the first place and the kobo is slooooowwwwwww. So I am now going to remove the book (btw it's The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro) which I paid for and now can't read but do not want to pay for AGAIN and see how it goes.
Will the store you got the ebook from refund your money since it was corrupted? I've heard of both Kobo and Amazon giving refunds for problem books. It's worth a shot to ask.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote