Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
acolegate
Kindle App Developer
acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Kindle Collection Manager for Windows

Hi everyone,

I got my Kindle DX Graphite a couple of weeks ago and was immediately disappointed with the way you're forced to manage collections.

To this end I've spent some time deciphering various Kindle files and eBook file formats and have come up with a Kindle Collection Manager for Windows.

It allows you to drag and drop ebooks (only PDF & mobi at present*) that are already on your device into new and existing collections.

Version 0.3 has the following features…
  • Manage existing collections (create, rename, update and delete)
  • Explore your Kindle folders and drag and drop books into one or more collection
  • Create collections from folders of books
I've attached some screenshots so you can see the app in action.

The app has been built using the .Net Framework v4.0 (Client Profile) and if not installed will prompt for you to download and install it.

If you would like to become part of the beta programme for this app and download the latest version, please visit my website...

http://www.Colegate.net/KindleCollectionManager

Once you've signed up, you'll receive a link to download the current version (v0.3). I'm almost ready to release v0.4 which has a number of bug fixes and sports these new features...
  • App now supports AZW, PRC TPZ and AZW1 files
  • App checks for the Kindle before commiting. It may have been ejected by Windows or just unplugged.
  • New "options" dialogue.
    • Set whether folders expand automatically after being created.
    • Set whether collections are expanded automatically after being created.
    • Switch between physical filename and metadata book title for DRM titles in files & collections.
  • "New look" toolbar :-)
For v0.5, I'm thinking of adding these new features...
  • Detect Kindle insert.
  • Drag and drop new document files into the app and/or collections which automatically copy to the Kindle.
  • Rename and delete files which update the Kindle and items in collections.
  • Drag and drop files between folders on the kindle, while maintaining their existence in any collections.
  • "Sync" feature that sets up collections for an entire folder of documents and their contents.
If you can think of anything else you'd like the app to do, please PM or email me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and best regards

Adrian

http://www.colegate.net/KindleCollectionManager
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1. Open.gif
Views:	18389
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	56507   Click image for larger version

Name:	2. Collection-operations.gif
Views:	11609
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	56508   Click image for larger version

Name:	3. New-collection.gif
Views:	9172
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	56509   Click image for larger version

Name:	4. Rename- collection.gif
Views:	7915
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	56510   Click image for larger version

Name:	5. Drag-and-drop-items.gif
Views:	7702
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	56511   Click image for larger version

Name:	6. Create-new-collection-from-folder.gif
Views:	7607
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	56512   Click image for larger version

Name:	7. New-collection-created-from-folder.gif
Views:	6841
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	56513   Click image for larger version

Name:	8. Commiting-changes.gif
Views:	6597
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	56514  

Last edited by acolegate; 09-01-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: v0.3 now available along with new Beta registration website
acolegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
One word - wow.

I've sent you a pm.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
tsa1001
tsa1001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
WOW!

That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll PM you with e-mail info.
tsa1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Looks great. I don't have my K3 yet, but would definitely be interested in testing - of course by the time I get my K3,you may have a version released...

Can you manually sort the books within a collection and have the sort order stick when updated on the Kindle? i.e. so it works with series.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
acolegate
Kindle App Developer
acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.acolegate is no ebook tyro.

I'm not sure if the Kindle will honour the declarative order of items in a collection or whether it reorders them itself.

The app doesn't currently support re-ordering items within a collection, but I can certainly add that feature. I'll do a bit more investigation and add it the wish list.

:-)

Let me know when you get your K3 and I'll mail you the latest copy of the app.
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ will do and thanks for looking into.

To me that would be the most important thing about a collection - as I would only be using collections for books series. I will often buy multiple books from a series at one time - and usually have no idea what book comes next (without checking some way) so it would be nice to be able to set the order in a collection when I first get the books and then not have to worry about what comes next when i am reading.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Can you manually sort the books within a collection and have the sort order stick when updated on the Kindle? i.e. so it works with series.
AFAIK that's a Sony only thing, Kindle lets you sort my author, title or last read.

Some folks edit their title metadata to contain the books series number.

I'm experimenting with just making a simple Mobi file with the series listed in order and adding it to the collection (example below)...
Attached Files
File Type: prc kellerman.prc (3.1 KB, 1201 views)
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Hi,

This seems like an awesome program, nice work!!! I too will be ordering a K3 when I have sold my Sony PRS505 and would be happy to beta test the program as well if you need more people.

Thanks.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
maxxim88
Enthusiast
maxxim88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Wow, great, thanks for great post, I want to try your new app for my Kindle DX-G
maxxim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
foghat
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
AFAIK that's a Sony only thing, Kindle lets you sort my author, title or last read.

Some folks edit their title metadata to contain the books series number.

I'm experimenting with just making a simple Mobi file with the series listed in order and adding it to the collection (example below)...

Cool, I'm interested in the results. I've thought about adding the book number to the title, but obviously would rather not - as that would bugger up the title sorting in other views. Unless of course you added the number to the end - so you don't get them sorted correctly, but at least you know what book comes next.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Cool, I'm interested in the results. I've thought about adding the book number to the title, but obviously would rather not - as that would bugger up the title sorting in other views. Unless of course you added the number to the end - so you don't get them sorted correctly, but at least you know what book comes next.
For the files I'm making I'm just doing a really basic HTML page and then dragging it into Mobi Creator. Quick and easy. It'd be cool if I could make the book title a link that would then open the book file, but from my research it can't be done.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
maxxim88
Enthusiast
maxxim88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I did like the brief but when setup is successful and my Kindle DXG is plugged into computer, I try to launch the app and the system shows "Your Kindle was not found, Make sure its plugged into your computer".
maxxim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
AWESOME,THANKS
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
Bikemike
Connoisseur
Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bikemike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi from Germany acokegate. It looks very, very good. I hope it will function on K2i and K3. I would have a great wish for this tool: On my kindle 2 i have sorted my books (a lot of free domain books) in Collections. Inside the collections for author.
Problem: In a lot of my books the metadata for author was wrong (for example: Felix Dahn instead of Dahn, Felix.
It would be great if your tool could change metadata - only author and title - for an easy way. Perhaps you can built this possibility in your tool.

Mike
Bikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
acolegate
Kindle App Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemike View Post
Hi from Germany acokegate. It looks very, very good. I hope it will function on K2i and K3. I would have a great wish for this tool: On my kindle 2 i have sorted my books (a lot of free domain books) in Collections. Inside the collections for author.
Problem: In a lot of my books the metadata for author was wrong (for example: Felix Dahn instead of Dahn, Felix.
It would be great if your tool could change metadata - only author and title - for an easy way. Perhaps you can built this possibility in your tool.

Mike
Hi Bikemike. I think updating the metadata for individual ebooks is a bit outside the scope of the app (at the moment). However, you might want to check out http://calibre-ebook.com which will do exactly what you need.

Tags
collection manager, collections, kindle, kindle 2, kindle 3, kindle dx, manager