Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Ebooks in Canadian libraries

I found an interesting article on canadaeast.com:
Quote:
"Unfortunately the message that people get when they buy those ebook readers is about where to buy ebooks, but a lot of them don't realize there's a lot of free ebooks available," said Anne O'Shea, assistant manager for electronic resources with the Vancouver Public Library.

With very little fanfare, libraries across the country have been offering access to ebooks for years, well before the Amazon Kindle and Sony's Readers became hot, trendy tech gadgets.

There are ebooks and electronic audiobooks available for download to compatible e-readers, computers, MP3 players and smartphones, as well as music and movies.

And best of all, they're automatically returned so there's no late fees.
http://www.canadaeast.com/article/901510
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Great article. I use the TPL ebook service all the time and I have made sure to tell them at the branch that I have been doing so. I think this is the first time I have seen numbers from anyone on exactly how many people are using them---50 on the hold list for ebook Dan Brown vs 1500 on the hold list for print Dan Brown.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Thanks, Nate! I wasn't aware of how many e-book the TLP offered, I imagined the number to be much lower!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
simonp
simonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
I'm a user of the Vancouver Public Library System, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to actually download their ebooks to my computer.

I've gone through all the electronic resources the VPL offers, and everything seems to be readable only online (usually through an Adobe .pdf).

Has any other user of the VPL succeeded in actually downloading an ebook?
simonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
I'm a user of the Vancouver Public Library System, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to actually download their ebooks to my computer.

I've gone through all the electronic resources the VPL offers, and everything seems to be readable only online (usually through an Adobe .pdf).

Has any other user of the VPL succeeded in actually downloading an ebook?
I frequently use the VPL through the British Columbia Library: Your Library Without Walls.
You need to log in with a valid VPL library card, select your eBooks (if they are available or put them on hold) then checkout like a regular online store. (see red arrows).

The quick start guide is here.

You may also need to download and install OverDrive® Media Console™ and Adobe® Digital Editions in order to download your eBooks and audiobooks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VPL2.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	42346   Click image for larger version

Name:	VPL.JPG
Views:	506
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	42347  
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
simonp
simonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I frequently use the VPL through the British Columbia Library: Your Library Without Walls.
You need to log in with a valid VPL library card, select your eBooks (if they are available or put them on hold) then checkout like a regular online store. (see red arrows).

The quick start guide is here.

You may also need to download and install OverDrive® Media Console™ and Adobe® Digital Editions in order to download your eBooks and audiobooks.
Thanks so much for the info. I emailed the VPL, and they sent me back a boiler plate response pointing out the online ebook catalogues but nothing about downloads. How did you even find out about B.C. Libary?

Bad news though. I have a Kindle 2, and I don't think it supports encrypted mobi files; not sure about the others though. I guess there are ways around that, however.
simonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
Thanks so much for the info. I emailed the VPL, and they sent me back a boiler plate response pointing out the online ebook catalogues but nothing about downloads. How did you even find out about B.C. Libary?

Bad news though. I have a Kindle 2, and I don't think it supports encrypted mobi files; not sure about the others though. I guess there are ways around that, however.
I think I found out about it first just through Google. It is also mentioned in the MobileRead Wiki under EBook_Lending_Libraries and now you can search for an available public library in Canada via Sony's Reader Store.

There used to be a way for Kindle users to access your public library ebooks but I believe they have closed that gap. I'm not that familiar with the Kindle other than you need one or Kindle 4 PC to access the Kindle Store.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle reader for PC
I spoke to someone at my library (in Vancouver) and they said neither Kindles nor Nooks work with the VPL e-book system.
jodykihara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:21 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodykihara View Post
I spoke to someone at my library (in Vancouver) and they said neither Kindles nor Nooks work with the VPL e-book system.
They're wrong about Nooks. Nooks will work. See OverDrive's Device Resource Center for compatible devices.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodykihara View Post
That is incorrect. I use the BC Library download site all the time for books on my Kindle. However, it does require removing DRM. This is not a difficult process if you're already using Calibre, nor is it illegal in Canada for personal use. But it is not officially supported by the library, so you can't ask them for help. Of course, there are places to find help, such as Apprentice Alf.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
The Ottawa Public Library has a fantastic selection of eBooks, and newly released books are added regularly. I'm a very happy user.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I'd been told that you couldn't use the VPL for borrowing e-books unless you lived in Greater Vancouver. (I'm on Vancouver Island.)

Is this wrong?
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
You can order ebooks through the Vancouver Island Regional Library.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Nooks are probably not supported by VPL since Nooks are not sold in Canada and Barnes and Noble will not sell the device outside of the US.

Much cheaper and easier to get a Kobo WiFi; currently $129 from Indigo; and it works seamlessly with VPL and TPL, among others.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Nooks are probably not supported by VPL since Nooks are not sold in Canada and Barnes and Noble will not sell the device outside of the US.

Much cheaper and easier to get a Kobo WiFi; currently $129 from Indigo; and it works seamlessly with VPL and TPL, among others.
Nooks will work. OverDrive supplies the books and Nook is a supported device.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote