Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Question about ebooks and public libraries.

My library is still in the dark ages. Anyone know if there are libraries online that let you join online if you don't live in the town? Could be free or fee based.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Most (probably all) libraries have various residency requirements. Depending on where you live, you might have access to other libraries in your state. In California, where I live, most of the libraries will give a library card to any resident of the state--you do have to visit the library to get your card though.

Also, some libraries may offer non-residents a card for a fee. New York Public Library used to do this, but recently stopped.

You can check out the Wiki here for more information:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

Also, check out Overdrive's (supplier of e-books to libraries) search engine for libraries in your area:
search.overdrive.com .

Hope this helps!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
elfwood
elfwood began at the beginning.

Device: none
eNYPL, Adobe9, and ePub format.
I just ran into something interesting when I checked out Collision by Jeff Abbott from eNYPL. The font changes are set up entirely differently from any of the other ePub books I've read thus far. And this setup really stinks. You have the choice of only 2 fonts, miniscule and something equivalent to large-print p-books. A little more tinkering is possible by using the slide-left function to enlarge the amount of the laptop screen that the book page covers.

All in all a definite step down from the older Adobe 7/pdf format, which allowed the reader to choose from any font between about 20% and something like 200%, simply by typing a number into a little dialogue box. I "love" these upgrades that don't do anything but limit choices.

elfwood
elfwood is offline   Reply With Quote