Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #61
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
There is still an issue with some SD cards.
A minor suggestion for those with SD card problems, I've had a couple cards that gave me grief until I copied the files off, reformatted them and copied the files back on. The touch has been quite happy with the cards ever since. (But maybe I was just lucky)

Quote:
Missing The ability to register and use it without having a Windows/Mac computer
While I do agree this is annoying, I have to point out that the Kobo is far from alone in this stupidity, I'm forever having to hook something up to a windows pc in order to 'initialize' it.

Quote:
a brand new and completely useless (to me) facebook button was added
Your not alone on that sentiment, there's obviously a money reason for "social networking" being added everywhere, but I'm not sure I know what it is.
A vendor I've dealt with for years decided a couple months ago that the only way to get the links to their firmware updates would now be from facebook. It took me a while (ended up talking directly to their CTO) but I got the links, and a few weeks back their 'real' website had the update links added back in.

Obviously I'm NOT a facebook user, but if there where "Hate" buttons along side those ubiquitous "Like" buttons I might be tempted when I have to deal with some of these people/places...
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #62
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Can we close books on the desktop yet?
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #63
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
So what about the page-turn performance issue with 1.9.14 that was mentioned earlier in this thread? Was that just an anomaly for a few people?
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #64
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Anyone having trouble updating? When I click on sync on the Kobo Ttouch, it tells me 'Preparing to update' and stays there... no progress after 20 minutes.

And when I tried it with the desktop, it just gets stuck on 'checking for updates' message.

Anyone has any idea if the servers are having trouble?
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #65
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am one of the two page turn anomaly folks. I am also one of the people who beta test the Touch.

So far, there are just two of us with this problem that I know of. I have sent my sqlite Db to Kobo. They played with it and determined that it was not part of the problem. I am working with Kobo staff to figure it out. Our plan for the weekend includes me making some videos of the problem as it exists today, another after a factory reset and installation of the last beta before the release version, and then with a new release version applied. If the problem persists, then I will box up my Kobo and send it to the development teams for them to take a deep look whilst they send me a new device.

Even when a problem appears to only affect a very small number of users, the developers work very hard to understand and correct the problem. Amazing folks!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #66
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
Anyone having trouble updating? When I click on sync on the Kobo Ttouch, it tells me 'Preparing to update' and stays there... no progress after 20 minutes.

And when I tried it with the desktop, it just gets stuck on 'checking for updates' message.

Anyone has any idea if the servers are having trouble?
Just bought a Touch...and yeah I'd say the servers are down at the moment.
Maybe they've frozen things for a quick fix to something in the new firmware and/or desktop?
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #67
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like the servers are fine again. Finally got mine updated. Love the new features!
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #68
red_elk
red_elk began at the beginning.

Hi All!
Has anybody figured out how the feature "Quickly preview Footnotes and Endnotes from linked text in a book" works?
I recently upgraded to a new FW, but don't see much difference in viewing footnotes. Actually, it's pretty difficult to select a link properly, device often just keeps turning the page.
red_elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #69
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_elk View Post
Hi All!
Has anybody figured out how the feature "Quickly preview Footnotes and Endnotes from linked text in a book" works?
I recently upgraded to a new FW, but don't see much difference in viewing footnotes. Actually, it's pretty difficult to select a link properly, device often just keeps turning the page.
I was wondering that myself actually; when I click a footnote, it does the same thing it always did.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:33 AM   #70
novou
Pointed Pontification.
novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch (Black)
Mine is updating right now; but are you on a sideloaded ePub? This might be one of the features that hits KePubs first (then inevitably arrives for sideloaded books too!)
novou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:57 AM   #71
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Am I strange because I put all my books straight on to my Kobo? lol
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #72
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
I was wondering that myself actually; when I click a footnote, it does the same thing it always did.
Just tested this. It's Kepub only, at least for now. Works pretty well though. Side-loaded foot/endnote response still slow as ass.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:46 AM   #73
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
Did pull Kobo the links to their firmware images, i.e.

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwares/kobo3/kobo3-1.9.$minor_version.zip ?

If anyone got a link to the new release, I'm tempted to upgrade.
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #74
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Am I strange because I put all my books straight on to my Kobo? lol
Yes. I am strange too. Most of my collection is on calibre and I just put a few books I am interested in right on the kobo.

I used to use the sd card exclusively, but decided that I needed 8G for my Sansa Clip instead and didn't need several thousand books on my kobo at a time.

I also am slightly annoyed with the need to hook up to a Windows system every time I had to do a factory reset. (We run Debian Linux on our computers at home) But thankfully it is fewer and farther between, and I'm happy with it now.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #75
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I don't think this is unique to this release, but I found myself able to download an epub directly from Project Gutenberg and it worked right away. No fancy cover, but who cares? I was tickled pink.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote