Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 AM   #136
original-occam
original-occam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Spoke too soon - SD problem still here, attacking at random intervals; sometimes letting me to 100's of page turns - but just now hit before even the first turn.
I know that the SQLITE database is a bit suspect; it was there but then it had disappeared before I had opportunity to erase it.
Oh well, at least I have an intellectual riddle to solve.
original-occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #137
Fonz
Fonz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

I'm living in France and the Kobo Touch just go out. Does the Kobo Touch by FNAC receive the same update of firmware or not?
(I really need the 1.9.14 version !)

Thanks.
Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #138
Jerry Cornelius
Jerry Cornelius began at the beginning.

I was in a FNAC store today and the firmware on the demo unit was 1.9.14.
Jerry Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #139
Fonz
Fonz began at the beginning.

Yes ! Many thanks.

Still for future update, will the fnac receive them or not?

(I don't really know if fnac customisation will stop or slow update or not, sometimes - for smartphone for example - it can slow down firmware update)
Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #140
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original
feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
How do you join networks now?
Used to be settings > wireless and scan or add there

Now it appears that you can only click the sync and have it scan which takes a bit.
feedbakbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #141
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonz View Post
Yes ! Many thanks.

Still for future update, will the fnac receive them or not?

(I don't really know if fnac customisation will stop or slow update or not, sometimes - for smartphone for example - it can slow down firmware update)
Hi Fonz,

We intend to make all future updates available to Fnac customers. There is no technical reason (that I can think of) that would slow down the updates.

Sameer.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #142
Sharkey
Sharkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post
This is another example of double page turn.

On the home page, I select Library.
Next I select Books.
Books selection button goes black.
Nothing happens. Wait ten minutes.
Still nothing.

Tap Books again and bang it opens up the first Book in the library. It seems like on the second tap it page turns like greased lightening and opens the book underneath before you can raise your finger.

I think the same process happens on the double page turns when reading.

This does not happen all the time, just often enough to drive you nuts. It's the inconsistency that is frustrating.
This sounds like a hardware issue. If the tap was registered, but the screen didn't refresh properly, the software would think it's on the new screen/page, but the e-ink image would be the old one.

I'm experiencing the same issues, occasional double-page turns and what appear to be freezes that resolve after another tap.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #143
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
So... since updating to the new firmware I've had issues.

I am submitting this to the helpdesk at Kobo, but want to also note it here.

Since the update, the following has happened twice so far:
  • my Kobo has shown me the welcome screen (the beginner one where they ask you to set your language, etc.) and reset all my option preferences.
  • It has re-downloaded all my purchases from Nov 16.
  • It has reset all my bookmarks to the point that the Kobo Cloud remembers from around Nov 16th.
  • At least one book has completely disappeared from my Kobo (while I was reading it on my Blackberry app!). It does show up in my library under "purchased" when I sign onto the website, but refuses to download onto my Kobo via wifi.

Trying to update again via wifi does nothing except start the process in the list all over again.

Fun times. I guess I was due for a screw up since all my other firmware updates have worked out fine?

Last edited by anonymoose; 11-29-2011 at 12:02 PM.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #144
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
woohoo, karma points, am I weird for getting a thrill?
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #145
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Nope. I love me my karma points--especially when I see that I have received that small increase new members can give.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #146
whitey_ro
whitey_ro has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.whitey_ro has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.whitey_ro has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
[*]my Kobo has shown me the welcome screen (the beginner one where they ask you to set your language, etc.) and reset all my option preferences.
I can confirm this issue, also when I plugin my USB cable the dialog in which you select to connect or charge stays under a second so you must be very fast
whitey_ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #147
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder... There is one thing consistent; the user.

It would be interesting if we could have someone who has frequent page turn issues use a Touch that belongs to a non page turn issue, and vice-versa.
And, in my case, not even that.

I tend to read for 30-45 minutes every night. Sometimes, I'll hit the double-page-turn problem three times in an evening. Sometimes, I won't hit it at all.

This all off the same side-loaded content stored in internal memory.

Go figure.

Yeah, it's a tad annoying, but on the level of a gnat buzzing around the edge of my vision.
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #148
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Having been a hard core answerer of questions for the past 15 years in the newsgroups I still get a thrill when someone emails me thanking me for a posting or a web site page.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #149
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original
feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Having been a hard core answerer of questions for the past 15 years in the newsgroups I still get a thrill when someone emails me thanking me for a posting or a web site page.
How can you see who gave you karma?

Nvrmind found it
feedbakbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #150
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You can only see who gave it IF the person includes a comment on the donation; otherwise it's a mystery.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote