Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Reader reviews @ Kobobooks?

I was looking through the latest list of deals that Kobobooks emailed me when I noticed that some of the books have user reviews (like this book set). Is this new? Or is it simply that the type of books I normally look at (SF and Fantasy of course) don't generate much user interest?

Also of interest, I clicked on 'more' for one of the reviews and it took me to goodreads.com

Last edited by SF&F Reader; 12-20-2011 at 12:27 AM.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Sony links to goodreads for reviews as well, I believe.

There have been some recent changes to the website--note that the home page now has recommendations based on prior purchases and that you can mark the recommendations to indicate whether you have read the book, etc.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Thanks. I actually have an account over at goodreads, I just find the external reliance a bit odd. I didn't know that Sony uses us too.

My Home page does not have a recommendations area, or at least one that I can recognize as such. Certainly they have not got my tastes pegged down yet if there is one. . . I don't see where I can mark the books either.

But, it seems we all have been seeing different things on the webstore lately with little rhyme or reason for the difference. I'll keep an eye out.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Irunsjh
Irunsjh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There have been some recent changes to the website--note that the home page now has recommendations based on prior purchases and that you can mark the recommendations to indicate whether you have read the book, etc.
Why is that everything in my personal recommendation is something that I have already purchased from KOBO and is in my I'm Reading list. It would be nice if the books in this list where not something I already paid for, and was an actual recommendation.
Irunsjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
My Home page does not have a recommendations area, or at least one that I can recognize as such. Certainly they have not got my tastes pegged down yet if there is one. . . I don't see where I can mark the books either.
To see your recommendations do this:
1) go to the KoboBooks.com website
2) sign in to your account
3) select the eBOOKS tab

To mark a book use the mouse to hover over a book and then select one of the three choices.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
SF&F Reader
Groupie

Yeah, I'm not seeing that at all. I've tried four different browsers.

But thanks for trying.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It appears as a "scrubber" at the very top of the kobobooks.com page--above the thing that advertise special offers etc.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
SF&F Reader
Groupie

According to the updated desktop, there are no recommended books for me. Perhaps this is related?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
According to the updated desktop, there are no recommended books for me. Perhaps this is related?
Well, I did a little experiment--just for you SF&F. I went into my recommendations scrubber on kobobooks.com and eliminated all of the books there by choosing already read or not interested. I closed my browser, opened it up again, and saw that I no longer had the recommendation scrubber.

Then I set the carousel at the bottom to shortlist and started a sync. When I went back to recommended, the only book that appeared there was one that I had clicked on earlier that actually was already in my library. I bet that if I had not done that, I would not have had anything at all.

What I don't know is how often the recommendations engine repopulates with new choices.

More info: So, I deleted the book from my reader and it deleted from the recommended carousel as well. After that, I no longer had a recommended choice in carousel. I then went to Purchased in the library on the website, book marked it, and then did a sync. It reappeared on my Touch, but did not go back into the carousel and I still had no "recommended" choice for the carousel at all.

Still waiting to see how often the recommendations update and if I will get any .

Last edited by taming; 12-23-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
SF&F Reader
Groupie

Interesting. Not that the lack bothers me much. Just curious I guess.